Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftovers -- Perhaps better than the first day...?

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Monday I fixed a nice roast prime (DP Cow Lick rub and indirect at 375, to 125 internal) and it was really very good! But last night I took half inch slices, coated them with a little more Cow Lick and a slice of cheddar and popped it in the micro and then on to a crunchy roll with honey mustard -- that and a cold beer was like a bit of heaven. Next time, I am going to buy a larger roast, so I can have more leftovers. Will slice it when cold and store in food saver bags for days when I don't have the motivation to cook.[p]It may be my imagination, but I think that after meat has cooled, you get a better appreciation of the smoke flavor....?[p]I cooked this on a V-rack, inside an aluminum pan, on a raised grid and the temperature plus the reflected heat from the dome, really did a nice job browning the roast. This cook, with a Polder to moniter internal temp could not possibly be easier.[p]As a last thought, I am not really sure why I decided to do it indirect, except that practice was a holdover from my gasser, when I was trying to prevent grease fires. I think that next time I will go direct.
[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BobS,
    i always hated cold left over prime rib, even reheated version. . . what we've found we do really like though, is to cube it up small, and had it to hash browned potatoes and onions.. . . i'll cook it all up in my wok in the egg. ..its fantastic. . .basically, dice up potatoes and onions (or even use the or'ida hashbrowns), get the wok hot in the egg, put in a stick of butter and some oil, and once the potatoes have softened up, add the cubed up meat and keep it all going till the potatoes are browned the way you like em. . ..i always make sure now when i buy a prime rib that there will be enough for leftovers for the hash. ..good stuff. ..

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    BobS,[p]Leftovers, especially frozen ones, can taste better than the initial cook if they have spices on them, and fats in them. More of the aromatic and flavor chemicals can be absored into the fat, making the food even better on the tongue with time. Unfortunately, its hard to make enough to have leftovers from the Egg, unless you put a big sign on them saying "Save for Dad's lunch!"[p]gdenby

• BobS
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Sounds great! But you are making me hungry a long time before lunch and I have no more leftovers to make what you describe.[p]I'll bet if you cooked some bacon to add that flavor to the potatoes, it would work too. YUM![p]

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BobS,[p] There is a recipe made in a Dutch Oven that could be modified for this..[p]
    My version is:[p]1 pkg of Jimmy Dean Sausage (Hot or Mild).
    1/2 Package of Bacon
    1 or 2 package(s) of Shredded Potatoes
    1 pkg of Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
    1 Large Onion Chopped
    Salt, Pepper[p]Cook the meat in the dutch oven till done. Remove the meat and drain most of the greese.[p]Put the chopped onion in and cook till onion is translucent.
    Return the meat to the oven and put in Potatoes. Salt Pper to taste.[p]Cook overed till potatoes are cooked . Sprinkle Cheese in top and cook covered till cheese is melted.[p]I bet if you sub the sausage with the left over (is there really such a thing) prime rib. It would be great.

• BobS
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    You guys are hurting me! That sounds good. [p]I think that I am going to get a lawyer and sue this forum for my gaining weight! LOL

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p] Over the top of the potatoes and before the cheese.[p]Add 6 dozen Eggs scrambled cook till the eggs set.[p]Then put the cheese on...[p]Feeds 4 or 1 hungry teenager!!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p] Six Large Eggs not 6 DOZEN eggs!! geesh I should know better!!![p]
  • J Straus
    Options
    Shaving cold leftover prime rib makes the best Frech Dip that I have ever had. Put the portion of meat in a coffe strainer basket (the old metal sieve type) and submerge that in simmering au jus until warmed up. This way you can keep the meat med-rare and put that on a sandwich and dip away!

Justin
  • J Straus
    Options
    Shaving cold leftover prime rib makes the best Frech Dip that I have ever had. Put the portion of meat in a coffe strainer basket (the old metal sieve type) and submerge that in simmering au jus until warmed up. This way you can keep the meat med-rare and put that on a sandwich and dip away!

Justin
  • BobS
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I loved reading 6 dozen -- I needed a good laugh and you gave it to me.[p]Thanks

• BobS
    Options
    gdenby,
    Perhaps that's the reason people talk about how wonderful pulled pork is, when given a chance to rest, for hours, in a cooker, wrapped in towels....?

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BobS,[p] I cracked myself up with that one.. I was trying to figure out how I would get 6 dozen eggs into one of MY dutch ovens.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BobS,[p] I have been in a hurry many times and donned my asbestos gloves and pulled the pork butt right off the cooker. It is still good :)[p]WARNING: Asbestos has been known to cause cancer. Do not try this at home.. Fire Resistant Fire Suits are highly recommended and conatin no asbestos