Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many racks of ribs can I get on a large?

Options
2»

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    If you can swing it, get the cgs adj rig, two oval grids two slide guides amd two crossbars and rig extender with crossbars.   This was a cook i did three years ago for a grieving family that lost a dad/husband unexpectedly so i really put forth the effort to produce the best ribs i knew how to make....they loved the food but this easily could have been done with one  more rack on each level, although id have to foil the edges in the path of direct rising heat....so this was six racks spead among three levels but could have been nine and maybe twelve if i could figure out the setup for one more level....

I think another level could be added at bottom as there is plenty of space between each level for air and smoke circulation so that the final product has that deep dark red maroon look that is so appealing on ribs....

I use this setup as well and have done multiple times. I rotate the ribs on each level every hour when opening the egg to spritz. Just be careful leaving the lid open for extended periods as the heat will raise quickly.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    So after all that, I got 4 racks on the regular rack! They're slightly overlapped, hope it doesn't interfere with the cook too much. I may add the second level after the first 2 hours. Then again, they'll probably shrink quite a bit.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Put some foil under any ribs that are not overlying the silhouette of your platesetter to block the essentially direct rising heat. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gym
    Options
    Will do. Thanks.
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    This was 3 racks with lots of room left...

Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Gym
    Options
    Just pulled them.
    221's work perfect at 275!!!!
    Sorry, forgot to take a picture. They're in the cooler at the moment. I'll let you all know how they turn out. I could barely get them into the tin foil without falling apart, so probably good with me!

• Gym
    Options
    Turned out excellent! Thanks to you all for your help/input. This forum has saved my backside on several occasions!!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @Gym, no rotation was done on that one.   I did nibble a sample from each level and they were awesome,  not award winners but they turned out pretty dang good....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Glad they turned out great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    Options
    Ive been invited to a july 4 party at a friends house.  Its at a country club known for a great fireworks show every 4th.   The condition of my invitation is that i bring something delectable from my BgE....these people have a traeger, which produces really good food.   I am going to make baby backs like those in the above pict i made back in 2014....ill snap some picts and post here
    Making 6 racks, rendezvous dry rub, beer in drip pan, adj rig with upper rig extender for three levels, sauce and foil 1 hr prior to serving and picked up some maple chips for extra wood flavor
    Ill stsrt a new thread about this...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have done 8 with the rib rack, one in each slot and crisscrossed two across the top. Worked out great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • westernbbq
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I have done 8 with the rib rack, one in each slot and crisscrossed two across the top. Worked out great.
    Ive been thinking about trying this with two extra racks of ribs.   I dont know if im comfident enough to try but your experience sharing here really helps me....stay tuned
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Options
    I've done 9 racks once before for a party using the CGS adjustable rig with the rig extender and two rib racks to keep them on their side.  It was tight and things cooked at different rates (should have rotated them more often, top to bottom and inside to out) but everything came out delicious. Temps fluctuated more than usual and it took way longer than normal too.  I'm actually planning on doing 6 racks tomorrow using the rib racks and two levels.