Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Is the housing market crazy everywhere?   Currently in west Michigan it is typical for a house to be on the market 2 days and have 12 offers over asking price. 
    That's how it was here before the crash in 2008. Housing bubbles never end well.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is mixed here (Luhlvul), a lot of middle management, transient types and college students which plays havoc with the home sales on a seasonal basis. In our neighborhood, houses do not last long on the market. Our home came at us after sitting on the market for almost 2 years. There was a reason to be sure.
    Only brain damaged people would have bought this house. It was a real handy man's dream, a big fixer upper (better defined as "money pit with no bottom") in one of the most desired zip codes in the country.
    Now it is still in the fixer upper stage, still requiring a psycho handy man ownership, but the value has doubled in the 6 years we have lived here.
    If we are near that lucky in the next 6 years, we gone.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Eoin said:
    kl8ton said:
    Is the housing market crazy everywhere?   Currently in west Michigan it is typical for a house to be on the market 2 days and have 12 offers over asking price. 
    That's how it was here before the crash in 2008. Housing bubbles never end well.
    Not crazy everywhere.  Town I just left has a big corporation laying people off and in the process of moving their headquarters.

My house sat for 7 months and sold for 60k less then asking price, which, if I had planned better it would have easily sold for 3 months before I listed.  One horse towns are no bueno.  Luckily, I was already leaving before the bad news started, so no stress in that department.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    kl8ton said:
    Not crazy everywhere.  Town I just left has a big corporation laying people off and in the process of moving their headquarters.

My house sat for 7 months and sold for 60k less then asking price, which, if I had planned better it would have easily sold for 3 months before I listed.  One horse towns are no bueno.  Luckily, I was already leaving before the bad news started, so no stress in that department.
    I suppose the distances in the US make towns very dependent on big employers.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    CW here in Durham, NC, is that it is very much a "seller's market" right now.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    kl8ton said:

I suppose the distances in the US make towns very dependent on big employers.
    Many smaller towns in the central US are dependant on large employers.  Large employers can "build" an entire town.  Especially with suppliers, service industry, etc.  When the big guy leaves all the rest crumble.

Today, companies are beholden to the almighty dollar.  No loyalty to employees, towns, etc.  We also get towns sniping employers by offering tax incentives and huge "welcome to town" cash offerings.  Some companies, as soon as the offers stop, they leave.  They only stay as long as towns keep offering up sacrifices.  Its like sacrifices to the gods in ancient civilizations.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    We also get towns sniping employers by offering tax incentives and huge "welcome to town" cash offerings.  Some companies, as soon as the offers stop, they leave.  They only stay as long as towns keep offering up sacrifices. 
    ^ This.  Why do you think 

Hmm, need to keep this apolitical.  :whistle:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    We also get towns sniping employers by offering tax incentives and huge "welcome to town" cash offerings.  Some companies, as soon as the offers stop, they leave.  They only stay as long as towns keep offering up sacrifices. 
    ^ This.  Why do you think 

Hmm, need to keep this apolitical.  :whistle:
    Yah, almost tanked my own thread lol!  And when I am so close to my goal of more views than @travisstrick 's how to bath with a brisket thread.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My daughter suffers from very bad eczema around her eyes, so she underwent extensive allergy testing last week.  We just got the results and a list of products we need to use.  Needless to say, it is nothing that we currently use.  There will be lots of throwing away of soap, detergent, moisturizers, etc, and then a giant order of things to replace.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    My neighbor listed his starter house ($130,000) at 1:30 on Friday. They had four or five showings Friday, and several more Saturday. They already have several offers to consider, and decided to stop showing it today.

Its an old house, with a weird layout and is nothing to write home about. It did get an awesome paint job on the interior right before it went on the market. Probably why its selling so fast.....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Cashfan said:It did get an awesome paint job on the interior right before it went on the market. Probably why its selling so fast.....
    You painted it right?  =)
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Cashfan said:It did get an awesome paint job on the interior right before it went on the market. Probably why its selling so fast.....
    You painted it right?  =)
    Most of it; I had some help.  =)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    kl8ton said:
    My neighbor listed his starter house ($130,000) at 1:30 on Friday. They had four or five showings Friday, and several more Saturday. They already have several offers to consider, and decided to stop showing it today.

Its an old house, with a weird layout and is nothing to write home about. It did get an awesome paint job on the interior right before it went on the market. Probably why its selling so fast.....
    love love love hearing this. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Not done on any of the eggs due to remodel. Several of deck stairs are getting a facelift along with the outdoor section of the deck. Induction with 12" Finex. Sauteed sweet onions, sliced white mushrooms and minced garlic. Made myself a monster Cowboy Ribeye, Son a thick NY Strip and Wife & Mother Delmonico Ribeyes. 
    Cooking with a Finex skillet on the tailgate of a pickup truck. I like the way you roll.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @kl8ton ... the opposite is true in the Peoria area of Illinois where it's a down market. @Ozzie_Isaac 's house was on the market approaching nine months before it sold/closed.  There are a number of houses in our old neighborhood where the for sale signs are growing moss.  We priced our house to sell (read that "gave the damn thing away") and sold it before it was listed.  Location was the main selling point for our buyer.

Now, to complete the whining, the area we've built in is much the same as Grand Rapids.  Our daughter and her husband locked in a new home price last summer and proceeded to watch the base price of their home climb, and climb, and climb.  So, this area is going gangbusters.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Cubed up some chicken breasts and have them marinading in:

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

No offense to your chicken and everyone else's cooks, but that mug is the greatest thing I've seen on the forum in a long time!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Playing with some sticks 

YES, YES, YES!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    thetrim said:

No offense to your chicken and everyone else's cooks, but that mug is the greatest thing I've seen on the forum in a long time!
    I snagged that guy from my FIL's cupboard a few years back. Its age is true to the logo. I figured it was a dowry. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Going to pick up the Wolf for the remodel
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Nice!  Exciting times there.  Means you're close.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    We are getting close.  The builder is shooting to get us occupancy by Friday.  An episode of extreme makeover home edition has to take place by then.  Tons of loose ends.  Occupancy permit is step 1, then to satisfy the bank is step 2.  

I did not anticipate the stove weighing in at 750lbs.  I had to call for reinforcements.  That delivery charge they wanted doesn't seem so bad now!

Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    We are getting close.  The builder is shooting to get us occupancy by Friday.  An episode of extreme makeover home edition has to take place by then.  Tons of loose ends.  Occupancy permit is step 1, then to satisfy the bank is step 2.  

I did not anticipate the stove weighing in at 750lbs.  I had to call for reinforcements.  That delivery charge they wanted doesn't seem so bad now!

I had a certified installer put mine in and they extended the warranty for free. Might want to see if they still do that. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    3 x spatchcock chicken. Coated with a yoghurt, lemon and spice mix.

• Eoin
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Put on some frozen chapatis and a paratha. Left it indirect as the platesetter was a bit hot to remove, but it worked OK.

• kl8ton
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Put on some frozen chapatis and a paratha. Left it indirect as the platesetter was a bit hot to remove, but it worked OK.

i like your plate AND the food looks fantastic too
    Grand Rapids MI