Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fried gasket continues!

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am on my third gasket(I bought my bge this May) and the only time it gets fried is when I cook up pizza. Gasket is fried crispy on both sides at the back(haven't noticed any smoke coming out from those areas). I did pizza again and noticed right where the hinges are at the back, I have distinct indents right through the gasket. I cooked steak tonight and noticed smoke coming from that hinged area.
The past 2 gaskets I changed, I only changed them because I didn't know better! There was no smoke coming out! They just looked crappy and very crispy!
My question is... do I have to change them but again? The amount of smoke is very slight.
Also... am I doing something wrong on my pizza cooks? Placesetter legs down, stone on top, cooked at 550-600 @ 8-10 min. I even tried the little green footie things under the place setter which was when I fried my first gasket! My pizza stone is a bge looks to be about 14"-15". Should I use the raised grid to get the stone away from the gasket?? Then will the pizza still cook throughout?

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]OK...I have a question..what do you call "fried gasket"?[p]Mine isn't fuzzy anymore..it is solid...and looks nasty..but it is just there for that extra little seal..[p]You will know if it is fried because the top will stick to the bottom gasket and when you open the egg the gasket will come off the egg...
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    icemncmth,
    I have pretty much nothing at the back of the egg. the inside part is nothing(ceramic on ceramic), there is still felt to the outside of the egg. Which I am assuming is holding the seal. Had a hard time opening it tonight to do steaks. little pieces came off when I opened it.(all at the back by the hinges)

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    P8100002.jpg
    <p />smokn gramma g,[p]Look like this?
    Mine does.[p]E

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    not quite, mine is looking pretty good compared to that! Mine just has 2 slashes at the hinges and bits falling off at the sides, but mine is coming off from top and bottom!
    Do you still cook on it with good results??

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    i replaced mine due to a leaf/fried/loose bit in the back.[p]did the rutland replacement, and it broke free at the same spot. i decided to take a closer look.[p]kneel down and check the lid as it closes. does the lid close like a clam shell and touch all around at the same time? or does the back of the dome contact first and then
    s-l-i-d-e forward a bit?[p]I bet you have a dome that contacts in the very back and wears on the gasket.[p]if that's the case, slightly loosen the bands, push the bottom band down to the ceramic rim and pull the top band up to the upper ceramic rim, then tighten.[p]just a thought

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    stike,
    Will check that out tomorrow morning! thanks!

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]Still cooking well. It actually looks a little worse than that now. I get smoke all the way around where the gasket should be. I am waiting for a rutland gasket before I replace anything. I had adjusted the bottom vent to about 3/16" inch and daisy wheel open(slider closed). It crept up to 400 degrees tonight. Still some danged good sausage. [p]I had hungarian sausage tonight. AWESOME!!!! Kinda a polish sausage with douple the garlic and a ton of black pepper. It was the BEST burnt gasket or not.[p]E[p]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    In case you didn't notice my gasket is completely fried. This is pretty much how it has looked for the last 4 years or more. I bought one in Atlanta last year and still have not got around to replacing it. Mine works fine without it.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I can't wait for the new forum to be the only one so we can edit posts!
    adobochickengoeson-1.jpg

• smokn gramma g, I have heard that a wide pizza stone forces the heat around the edges of your bge causing gasket damage. You may want to consider a smaller pizza stone.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    smokn gramma g, I have no gasket and mine works fine, I think the legs should point down not up for pizza, the stone mass is what makes the pizza, large pizza ovens the stone is at least an inch thick.

• smokn gramma g,[p]I have and XL and experienced the same thing. I noticed in your picture that you have what appears to be the spring hinge version of the band. I was very careful to re-adjust my XL so there would be a tight fit. I did this about 3 or 4 times and the crack would re-appear.[p]I suspect that when you go high temp, this burns the gaskit because of the slight leakage. The hot air/fire goes throught this space. BGE has replace this band with one without a sping hinge (free). I have not had a problem with the new hinge assembly althought the lid is heavy to open/close. BGE is sending a new spring assist kit for the updated hinge assembly through my dealer (see forum main page).[p]As a follow-up, I spiced the gaskit only at the back because mine was still good elsewhere. I have not had any problems. I've been using mine since March 2006 and it is a great product. Good Luck!