Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF at Costco...

Options
2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    tjv said:
    Photo Egg said:
    tjv said:
    20% solution (up to) but hey gluten free........lol

t

What is the "normal" or good solution percentage for a pre-packaged corned beef. I thought they were always packaged in a solution? Is this really high?
    it seems high to me for a meat that still needs to go into the "pool" to cook.    

given it's a great grade of meat, I'd be afraid the end product would be "hammy" like.

t
    I don't disagree, just asking. I have never cooked a packaged corned beef. When I do see them in the stores they are always swimming in packaged liquid. You made it sound like 20% was a high number so I thought you were comparing the percentage to others you have seen packaged.
    I had similar reaction when people started posting about making Philly Cheese Steaks using the frozen stuff from Restaurant Depot. It has "over" 20% solution added.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SRF_Sean
    SRF_Sean Posts: 15
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    The cuts on from Costco are Kobe round and the corner beef on their site are wagyu brisket . Probably why the differences in price
    There is always a difference in price between what's available on the website and what's available in a grocery store. Part of it is economy of scale, where we have incredibly efficient mechanisms in traditional distribution to get large amounts of beef to one place, in this case Costco. Meanwhile, our online operation has to account for extra handling, storage, maintenance and, most importantly, individual shipping carrier fees for every steak or roast that is sold. The overhead is just much, much higher.

It's also correct that brisket is more expensive than round.

We always recommend buying from a grocery store or other retailer if you can, but it just isn't available in most places. That's who our website is trying to serve, folks who wouldn't be able to purchase it otherwise.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just what I need. Another reason to dump money in the Costco bin.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It just never ends. Wallet Genocide.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thanks for the replies @SRF_Sean and @SRFANNELLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    I hope @SRFShane didn't get fired for running that BOGO promotion. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Just saw a sign the other day for them at Costco in Clovis CA but they were sold out gonna try back
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Had 4 thaw when contractor accidentally unplugged my freezer!!!