Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question for the those of you with SV experience

Options
Sonny3
Sonny3 Posts: 455
We are hosting a little party tomorrow night for the Grand Son's graduation from High School.  Expecting about 25 folks.  I plan on putting a few butts on the XL and also some chicken breast on the Med.

Timing will be everything so I was thinking about using the SV to start the chicken.  The breast are boneless and skinless so I plan to marinate them in vacuum bags.  I was thinking of putting them in the SV and bringing them to 140 and then finishing them off on the egg.  There are 14-15 large breasts so they will be about 3 to a bag.

Does anyone have any experience with doing the chicken this way?  How long should I plan to have them in the SV?

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions,

Thanks
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cook SV chicken breast every week. I sear them really fast then SV for an hour at 147. They still have the great smoky flavor from the egg. You can sear after but they do sear up better when raw and you can hold them another 2 hours in the sv if timing is really that critical. You can serve them hot and fresh and still get the girlled flavor.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    145 for an hour to an hour and a half and then sear off on a hot grill.  Have fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Cen-Tex, thanks for the speedy reply.  The timing isn't that critical, I just wanted to do it this way so that there is a little cooking going on as the guests arrive and we plate straight from the grill.  I know that marinade works best when it is under vacuum another reason for my plan.  Was really interested in the timing in the bath for so many pieces.  I do have a large SV tub though which will accommodate all of the bags.  Thanks for the input, next time I am cooking for just the wife and I; I will give your way a try.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Thanks Brent, just what I was looking for.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I rub them in olive oil, and then liberally apply rub of choice.  SV for anywhere between 1-3  hours - it's not fussy.  Firey hot grill a couple minutes per side.  I'm on a bit of a healthy eating binge, so I've been doing this 3-4 times a week.  Best chicken I've ever eaten.

Great choice for the party - it will allow you to concentrate on other things.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Cen-Tex, thanks for the speedy reply.  The timing isn't that critical, I just wanted to do it this way so that there is a little cooking going on as the guests arrive and we plate straight from the grill.  I know that marinade works best when it is under vacuum another reason for my plan.  Was really interested in the timing in the bath for so many pieces.  I do have a large SV tub though which will accommodate all of the bags.  Thanks for the input, next time I am cooking for just the wife and I; I will give your way a try.

Both work great- I just switched to sear first last year because I liked the way they seared when raw better. Sounds like a great party- too bad I can't sneak over.

As far as marinade under vacuum goes, I wouldn't put too much credence in to that unless you have a commercial chamber sealer (even then I'm not sure if it makes any difference). Any home food saver device is not really putting things under vacuum. It's just squishing the bag down. Sounds good on the commercials but that's about it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Start the butts a little earlier so they finish early. Wrap in foil and hold in a cooler.
    Frees you up to just cook the breasts on the XL. Then you can cook wings on the medium...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Start the butts a little earlier so they finish early. Wrap in foil and hold in a cooler.
    Frees you up to just cook the breasts on the XL. Then you can cook wings on the medium...lol
    This. Use FTC to your advantage 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    No help on the SV, but on a side note, I hope you are kicking cancers aśś. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I'd go with an hour around 149F.  Just make sure the pieces are well separated in the bag and you'll be fine.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'd go with an hour around 149F.  Just make sure the pieces are well separated in the bag and you'll be fine.
    This. And make sure that the water can circulate well around  the bags if you have a lot of chicken in there. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Agree w the space.  Give the chicken lots of space.   Don't choke the chicken!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Agree with others, bring the temps up to 146-149°.  Your guest might be thrown off too by the texture and look at 140°.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Nice Rutland butts look great!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario