Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Push through Stall

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
Another question if I could on the planned cook for the Pork Butt.

If I get into a stall and time is running short, exactly what should I do?  I know (think) that I should wrap it in foil.. but should I also increase the temp.  Assuming I am cooking at around 275 - 300, should I increase the temp to 350 or so.. or just keep it as it is and the foil will help to overcome the stall.  

I have been cautioned not to go above 350 to avoid the brown sugar scorching.  (The rub that I am using has 2 tsp of sugar in a total of 12 tsp of ingredients.  This seems like a small amount  (1/6th by volume), so I don't know if I should be concerned here.  

Thanks again for all of the help and advice that I am getting from you guys and gals.
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Foiling helps, and you might collect some juices for sauce. But the heat in the foil pack won't go much above boiling, which is what is needed.

The key to a "turbo" cook is the ambient temperature. The stall is the period when the meat cannot heat up above a certain point because the water evaporation continues to cool the food. Around 350F, the steam comes out so fast that the meat temp rises continuously.

But the sugar will burn. Just a small amount of burnt sugar is v-e-r-y bitter. Avoid.

If I'm really pressed for time, I run the dome temp to a little above 300, and then wrap if the internal temp isn't getting to 190 soon enough.
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks.. so just apply foil and rise up to 300 if needed.. Right?

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you run around 300 the whole time, you may not hit much if any of a stall. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you run around 300 the whole time, you may not hit much if any of a stall. 
    Yes, keep it kinda hot, and if really short on time, then foil. Push out as much water as possible to get the meat up to 180F, where the collagen melts really fast.