Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would Beef Plate Ribs and St Louis Spares be too much for 4?

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
We are having another couple over on Memorial Day weekend for a BBQ just the four of us. They have had my brisket several times before and Pulled Pork. My thought was to cook two racks of St Louis Ribs and a plate of beef ribs (3 bones). My wife is not a big beef rib person. I figure that way that get to sample both and we can always send them home with leftovers.
Thoughts?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The beef should take considerably longer. Sounds good. Enjoy!
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Sounds about perfect!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What Pete said, the beef will take longer.  How are you cooking your spars?  Straight through or a 2-1-1.  Beef ribs I like to cook straight through, but if need sooner can be foiled when they hit 160.  The plate ribs depending on how big could take a few hours to be tender, but leftovers are great and if done well they are brisket on a stick.  Happy egging.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    No such thing as too many ribs! Your quantities sound good though. Sometimes the beef are hit and miss with the quantity of meat on rack
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As above, plan for the beef ribs, stand-alone, to take around 6-7 hours at 250-260*F on the dome.  You likely will have enough with the beef to sample as you note. (1/2 rack of pork ribs/person).  Depending on sides and appetites, you could toss on another pork rib (baby back to compare with the St Louis) if you wanted to ensure left-overs, either for them our you.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No way 4 people (two wommens) eat 2 racks of pork ribs and a rack of Beef. That said, that is prec ;) isely what a few leftover ribs are for.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    poster said:
    No such thing as too many ribs! Your quantities sound good though. Sometimes the beef are hit and miss with the quantity of meat on rack
    What he said  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    WAAAAAY too much for dinner (4)
    WAAAAAAAAAY to little for tomorrow leftovers  =)
  • dstearn
    Options
    I will start the Beef Ribs before the Spares. I usually cook the spares and Beef Ribs at 275 Dome. Spares usually take 5-5 1/2 hours at that temp. So I can start the Beef Ribs and hour prior maybe even earlier to allow them to rest.
  • dstearn
    Options
    I was just reviewing Aaron Franklins video on Beef Ribs. Cook time can vary depending on weight 6 1/2 hours to 8 hours. Will adjust my start time based on the weight. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    No such thing as too much....leftovers are always good and you can send guests home with a care package....
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Beef ribs are pickier than pork ribs to cook, and like brisket, are done when they're done.  They do hold well in a cooler, so I would get them on 10 hours before game time, just so you have time to render the fat you want to, and don't have to rush. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX