Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boiling brats then to griddle

Options
We had a church festival this past weekend and that was how they cooked the brats.  Never heard such a thing.  They used Johnsonville brats which are fully cooked already.  I just shook my head when I heard that.
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Boiling is overkill, but poach to cook and then sear to finish is a great way to cook sausages without having to worry about them splitting.  It'd probably also be a lot easier for a big crowd, less managing hot spots and shuffling around.

Also, not all johnsonville brats are precooked.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Agree that is sacrilege, but Johnsonville's brats aren't fully cooked. or partially cooked...they make some other fully cooked products, but not brats.

Nevertheless, if someone just insists that is Wisconsin style, there is some controversy over that.  I submit for your review that true Sconnie style is to grill em on low to med-low to avoid flare ups and add a kiss of deliciousness.  THEN they go into a pot of beer and onions on low heat to keep 'em ready to eat.

Others do it backwards - they boil then grill, but this same type of animal will also pit toilet paper on the holder backwards.
    That is exactly the way it is done. DO NOT burst them by too high of a temp or boiling. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Oh I've seen them done that way many times - and always at a large venue like your church festival or a day long money raiser. While I agree they are cooked they need to be brought up to a heated condition and fast. Going from a cold refrigerator to a hot grate is not going to warm them clear through quickly as they need to be. So just like a sous vide approach the boiled brats can stay hot in the water bath and then on a griddle for a quick sear - otherwise broiled brats are pukey looking!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've done them that way in a beer bath with onions before grilling them. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I've done them that way in a beer bath with onions before grilling them. 
    Commie.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    so its wrong to simmer them in beer and onions, take them out to cool a bit, coat with mustard and jamacan firewalk rub and grill =) oh wait, those are firecracker bratts =) you folks are missing out ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I do enjoy the brats grilled and then in a beer and onion bath. However, I put in a big pile of onions and just enough beer to cover the onions. More of a braise I suppose. 

I have seen fully cooked Johnsonville brats like these. I have tried them and they are good, but seem to be completely different than their actual fresh (uncooked) brats. These are much more hot-dog like. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Spaightlabs
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's not a brat - it's a hotdog disguised as a brat. =)

Your method is spot on.

Boiling in beer is for folks who can't grill.  Or as Ron said, if you have a monster crowd and want to make sure everything is truly cooked.  In that case, boiling first and then hitting with a kiss of flame will do the job, but the product isn't as good, but safer than medium rare brats...been there and done that back when I used to let my father in law cook...
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    If you make it fresh and are not going to cook it right away, some POACH their brats then freeze........Never Boil but a Gentle simmer to get IT to 160...I usually do this on Boudin before I grill but that is about is
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    Options
    Guess I am not crazy then
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Johnsonville does market "pre-grilled" brats and they have for many years in the frozen food section.  I first had them about 6 years ago, they were not too bad, for a reheated brat.

On the pre-boiling of brats, sure sign of a piss-poor grill master that can't control his/her fire.  The pre-cook in beer, or whatever, changes the texture of the sausage in a way that I do not like best way I can describe is they seem "mushy" when done that way.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I am all for the beer/onion bath to cook then grill for color.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I am all for the beer/onion bath to cook then grill for color.
    Do it the other way around - much more bettered.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Remember reading in a book I gave to my brother, Meathead used some dye in water or beer.  They did take on a ring, and absorbed, but only so much, and simmer wasn't very long if I recall.  Always simmered first, just not as long now.

A brat will turn to mush if simmered for an hour.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Options
    You guys talk about piss poor grilling skills, but are Johnsonville experts.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    so its wrong to simmer them in beer and onions, take them out to cool a bit, coat with mustard and jamacan firewalk rub and grill =) oh wait, those are firecracker bratts =) you folks are missing out ;)
    This seems wonderful.
    May give the firecrackers a whirl when out camping.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Focker said:
    You guys talk about piss poor grilling skills, but are Johnsonville experts.  =)
    LOL - I hear you, buddy, but it seems 3/4 of the responders here today were talking about how they do them at home! The OP as well as my response and some others were addressing serving brats to a large group and normally in a short period of time. Even the beer method just might offend some church types plus serving beer brats to their children! Johnsonville products are cheaper and easier to obtain in bulk than say going to your favorite butcher shop for spectacular, custom made brats.
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    LOL - I hear you, buddy, but it seems 3/4 of the responders here today were talking about how they do them at home! The OP as well as my response and some others were addressing serving brats to a large group and normally in a short period of time. Even the beer method just might offend some church types plus serving beer brats to their children! Johnsonville products are cheaper and easier to obtain in bulk than say going to your favorite butcher shop for spectacular, custom made brats.
    I hear ya, ate one of 8 of these over the weekend, they were gone. 12 nice Kiolbasa Tx sausage links for 20 bucks at Sam's Club.  
    Johnsonville are what $4ish for 5?  Idk
    A local sausage joint, Stashu's and Sons, makes awesome brats, Johnsonville's price.  

I pity the fool who only has Johnsonville as an option.

Although not for the kiddos, they prefer hot dogs we tossed on the fire...everyone appreciated and raved about the zip and flavor from a unique, store bought option.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Depending on the church you're doing 'me for would dictate if it is appropriate to braise in onions and beer....  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Focker said:
    My point my friend 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Focker said:
    My point my friend 
    Point delivered.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I've had to do big batches for a group too and even though I would do a slow smoke at home, this way ensure you hit internal temp, have a bunch ready at once and to be honest, they aren't that terrible. Yes not perfect but acceptable to most people. 

Of course the alternative is for the OP to volunteer to Egg the brats next year :) The big problem with knowing how to do stuff right is you end up doing it all sometimes.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    Options
    gmac said:
    I've had to do big batches for a group too and even though I would do a slow smoke at home, this way ensure you hit internal temp, have a bunch ready at once and to be honest, they aren't that terrible. Yes not perfect but acceptable to most people. 

Of course the alternative is for the OP to volunteer to Egg the brats next year :) The big problem with knowing how to do stuff right is you end up doing it all sometimes.  
    I am part of the group that did the food, K of C, so maybe I will get myself into that spot next time.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    I hear ya, ate one of 8 of these over the weekend, they were gone. 12 nice Kiolbasa Tx sausage links for 20 bucks at Sam's Club.  
    A local sausage joint, Stashu's and Sons, makes awesome brats, Johnsonville's price.  

Although not for the kiddos, they prefer hot dogs we tossed on the fire...everyone appreciated and raved about the zip and flavor from a unique, store bought option.
    @Focker :bawling:
    You had me excited. Sam's club 2 miles from my house. Those look excellent. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

@Focker :bawling:
    You had me excited. Sam's club 2 miles from my house. Those look excellent. 

Sorry to hear this.  
    Although their casings are quite thick, I have some better, local options.  Not the end of the world, but check around my friend.

They are a decent instore option.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2017
    Options

A shot from Sheboygan Brat Days.
    Not one of these brats were boiled/precooked.  These guys would be shot on site and thrown in the river if such a thing were done!!  Doesn't matter how many brats you're cooking, don't ruin them by par-boiling them!   They have these fancy flipping grids now, but back in the old days, you paid attention and did it one by one.

http://brat-days.com/brat-days-info/brat-days-history/

Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    Options
    That is a Johnsville semi in the far right. That's cool that they are grilling that many at the same time. Seeing that there is no way possible to serve the hundreds shown there all at once without most of them being cold I wonder how they kept them warm after cooking.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Dollars to donuts they went into a shallow beer/butter/onion bath after cooking.

Point being, grill first, beer bath after.

PS - Johnsonville brats get grilled the same way any other non-precooked sausage does.  They are mass produced, yes, but they are still sausages.