Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV beef ribs and other stuff...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
We were celebrating a bunch of things this weekend... Mother's Day, my birthday, my sister's birthday (next weekend actually) and my BIL's birthday (3 weeks back) . 

Some wings on the large yesterday. Rubbed with DP Tsunami Spin. Tossed in cornstarch. On the large for about an hour or so at 400ish. Tossed in hot bulgogi marinade, with added chili garlic paste. Back on the egg to set the sauce. Turned out a bit salty, but still good. 

And some homemade boudain blanc courtesy of @pigfisher. These were farkin fabulous.

Got 2 racks of prime beef ribs from Costco. SV for 147F x 36 hrs. Refrigerated for a few hours , then smoked on the large for 2 hrs at 300F. Best beef ribs I've ever made. 

Almost forgot about the asparagus. Wrapped

with pancetta (from our Charcutapalooza in January). Dusted with DP Pineapple Head. 

Went out for brunch in the morning and somehow still had room for the ribs later on. We ate well this weekend :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Damn, tons of goodness going on there.  All of it looks great, nice weekend I'd say.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It all looks good - the wings look spectacular. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    I'm just glad you didn't bring your wing A game to Salado. Those look outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    Interesting that there's still plenty of fat on that beef rib, even after 36 hrs in the tub!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Goodness....pure goodness!!  Way to knock it outta the park, @caliking!  Will you and your family be in Spring this weekend?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    All cooks look great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    Damn, tons of goodness going on there.  All of it looks great, nice weekend I'd say.
    Thanks. It was a fun weekend with family and good grub. Definitely a great way to spend a birthday :)

• caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    I'm just glad you didn't bring your wing A game to Salado. Those look outstanding. 
    Thanks. 

The sting of defeat has become gangrenous, Dan. These are the wings that i had initially planned to throw down at the wing-off, but made a last minute (bad) call and tried something new. That'll teach me. 

You better watch your six next year...

• caliking
    Options
    Interesting that there's still plenty of fat on that beef rib, even after 36 hrs in the tub!  
    I would have preferred to trim the big gobs of fat off the racks, then SV. But these came in a pair, cryovac'ed, so I was lazy and just threw them in as they were.

Texture and flavor were spot on though, so I may not change the temp or time in the future. 

• caliking
    Options
    Goodness....pure goodness!!  Way to knock it outta the park, @caliking!  Will you and your family be in Spring this weekend?
    Thanks, Kelley :) Yep, we'll be up there. With bells on!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    So ready for Spring Fest...well, not ready, but anxious. We will be driving up early Saturday morning. Have a photo shoot Friday so no prep time this year.
    Might fall back on cinnamon rolls and cookies with Blue Bell ice-cream.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    So ready for Spring Fest...well, not ready, but anxious. We will be driving up early Saturday morning. Have a photo shoot Friday so no prep time this year.
    I'll try and set up close to you :)

Bring a watermelon again, please. Honestly, it was so refreshing after a hot day. Its one of the "cooks" from last year which stands out in my memory!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Happy Birthday, belated birthday, early birthday!  Wings look like deep fried, yum! Beef ribs and pig wrapped asparagus look delish too. I did sv bb ribs recently 18h @ 147, then smoked, came out real nice but I could still taste 'boiled' texture in the centre  :)  Yours look gorgeous, that blob of fat probably helped lubricate during the smoke.
    canuckland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking grub brother!  It all looks delicious.  Happy birthday.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Options
    Happy Birthday, belated birthday, early birthday!  Wings look like deep fried, yum! Beef ribs and pig wrapped asparagus look delish too. I did sv bb ribs recently 18h @ 147, then smoked, came out real nice but I could still taste 'boiled' texture in the centre  :)  
    Thanks, Gary :)

I tried SV babybacks per @JohnInCarolina 's protocol (can't remember how long they were in the tub, but he may chime in) and they were pretty good. Tossing them in the refrigerator for a few hrs before smoking them was key, IMO. Then heavy on the smoke for the next step. 

I also feel that that SV spare ribs turn out better because of the higher fat content, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    caliking said:
    Happy Birthday, belated birthday, early birthday!  Wings look like deep fried, yum! Beef ribs and pig wrapped asparagus look delish too. I did sv bb ribs recently 18h @ 147, then smoked, came out real nice but I could still taste 'boiled' texture in the centre  :)  
    Thanks, Gary :)

I tried SV babybacks per @JohnInCarolina 's protocol (can't remember how long they were in the tub, but he may chime in) and they were pretty good. Tossing them in the refrigerator for a few hrs before smoking them was key, IMO. Then heavy on the smoke for the next step. 

I also feel that that SV spare ribs turn out better because of the higher fat content, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. 
    18h at 147 is how long I go.  The texture is different from what you get with a straight smoke, no question.  I just like it because the results are so consistent and very good, but it's not for everyone.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Ashish, I edited above with this extra comment: Yours look gorgeous, that blob of fat probably helped lubricate during the smoke.

I iced down the bb overnight before the smoke.  Did bb again yesterday the lo n slo 5-hr way, family prefers it over sv.  OTOH they love sv brisket may be because I screw up brisket w/o sv!
    canuckland
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks awesome . Nice work. I need to find me some of those beef ribs to cook. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    I'll try and set up close to you :)

Bring a watermelon again, please. Honestly, it was so refreshing after a hot day. Its one of the "cooks" from last year which stands out in my memory!
    Yes, I even enjoyed the watermelon. It's also on my list. The Boy Scouts who did so much to help us last year also enjoyed it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks. 

The sting of defeat has become gangrenous, Dan. These are the wings that i had initially planned to throw down at the wing-off, but made a last minute (bad) call and tried something new. That'll teach me. 

You better watch your six next year...
    I may just retire undefeated and sit back with @20stone and enjoy your wings and those of any challengers.  All the while mumbling about how standards have fallen since last year. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and I'm off to Costco. Been wanting to do beef ribs again. I'm doing one bbq style and the other SV . slice thin and sear with fish caramel sauce like Uchiko. Did this a few years back and have been dying to try it again. We ate there again last week and had it again. So freaking good. They use wagyu but I've done it with good choice and it was awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    and I'm off to Costco. Been wanting to do beef ribs again. I'm doing one bbq style and the other SV . slice thin and sear with fish caramel sauce like Uchiko. Did this a few years back and have been dying to try it again. We ate there again last week and had it again. So freaking good. They use wagyu but I've done it with good choice and it was awesome.
    I believe you're the one that turned me on to Costco as a source for prime beef ribs. And that fish caramel sauce at Uchi here is frikkin fabulous. I'll have to try that. Didn't you post a fish caramel sauce recipe some time back?

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Your guest always eat like kings! 
    Snellville, GA

• caliking
    Options
    Ashish, I edited above with this extra comment: Yours look gorgeous, that blob of fat probably helped lubricate during the smoke.

I iced down the bb overnight before the smoke.  Did bb again yesterday the lo n slo 5-hr way, family prefers it over sv.  OTOH they love sv brisket may be because I screw up brisket w/o sv!
    You have many many more innings in the marriage game to know that you have to do  WHATEVER YOUR FAMILY WANTS!! :)

The convenience and consistent results of the SV--> BGE method are worth something. Makes it easy to throw down a great meal with less effort IMO.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I believe you're the one that turned me on to Costco as a source for prime beef ribs. And that fish caramel sauce at Uchi here is frikkin fabulous. I'll have to try that. Didn't you post a fish caramel sauce recipe some time back?
    I did. It's on here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks scrumptious, @caliking!  Nice job.  :bow:
  • caliking
    Options
    I did. It's on here. 
    found it. putting it here so i can find it easily. And so I remember to make it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164017/fish-caramel-sauce-from-uchiko-austin

• caliking
    Options
    Your guest always eat like kings! 
    Its the only reason they come to visit :)

• caliking
    Options
    @texaswig - i could get them from Kroger before I found out about the prime beef ribs at Costco. You have to ask for them at the meat counter. I think HEB had them too, but they wouldn't break open a cryopac - you had to buy 4 racks at a time.

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    For what its worth a buddy of mine in Tampa went to Master Purveyors and ordered a sirloin tip which came cryovaced and was talking with one of the owners about sou vidding the tip.  He was going to do it in the same bag that it was packaged in.  The owner said not to because of the petroleum that is in the plastic and the hot water and the reaction between the 2.
    South Buffalo, New York