Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of left field...am considering trying to smoke a beef tongue

Ernie
Ernie Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have learned how to smoke pork, brisket, fish, etc on the egg fairly well. This is definitely along the lines of something I have not considered before, but I got my hands on a good fresh one and there might be a way to cure/smoke it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any starting points...[p]Ernie

Comments

• ernie,
    Thirdeye came up with this one, but he is playing with his bologne and may not be home in time to post this today.[p]Beef, Tongue, Thirdeye
    [p] Tongue
    Water
    1 Bottle Beer
    2T chopped garlic
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1t salt
    2t black pepper

1 Soak tongue in salted water for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.
    2 Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.
    3 Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.
    4 Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.
    5 Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Thirdeye[p]Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 01/03/06

[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    08f05c31.jpg
    <p />Hey Richard, I'm always playin' with something 91846c7e.gif Heheee[p]ernie,[p] If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/12/beef-smoked-tongue.html you will go to my tongue page (oh geeez... no more jokes from the peanut gallery) with some pictures so you can get a visual on Richards post. They turn out good. Let us know how it works for you.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ernie
    Ernie Posts: 16
    Thanks guys.[p]Ernie
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    ernie,[p]Tongue is wonderful, extremely rich flavored. To make them, you need to get rid of the outer sheath, and any bones that may be near the base. Boil the tongue briefly, at least ten minutes. The outer covering should peel off pretty easily, and if there are any little bones near the base, you should be able to feel them and cut them out. I like them without any rub other than some salt and pepper, but cooked with a good bit of smoke. I've usually cook them to almost well done, that is, no pink inside. Slice into thin pieces.[p]gdenby [p]
  • ernie,[p]Whew........my cousin used to eat tongue all the time when we were kids.....that is nasty stuff......could never get over what I was eating.......LOL[p]Howard