Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump at Costco (Ohio)

Options

Yesterday I stumbled upon a pallet of 34# bags of Cowboy lump for $29.99 at the Strongsville Costco.  It's the first time I've ever come across lump at Costco up here in Ohio (I've been to one in Charlotte and it had it though).  Seems like a decent price.

Just throwin' it out there!

Strongsville, OH

Comments

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Nice start to a Friday thread! I'll pass. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Sometimes when it sounds to good to be true .... it is.......
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Center cut?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I thought Costco was selective? Huh. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    That is a top shelf price for some low-level lump.  But it all burns.  
    @YukonRon -  you may be on to the processing that has run up the cost ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    I struggled through a bag that I bought from Costco here in North Tx.   A lot of small pebble sized pieces and powder.  Not a good experience, but maybe a fluke?
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That price seems a bit high to me, for Cowboy. I am sure it all burns, however the burn might be the purchaser of the Cowboy lump, not the lump itself.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    I struggled through a bag that I bought from Costco here in North Tx.   A lot of small pebble sized pieces and powder.  Not a good experience, but maybe a fluke?
    Some here don't mind Cowboy but I'd say majority is a pass. I've bought a couple bags myself and don't enjoy it. Heavy unpleasant smoke flavor. I like my lump more neutral. If I want to add smoke I'd rather pick the flavor profile of it rather than the heavy obnoxious smoke Cowboy kicks out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

Yesterday I stumbled upon a pallet of 34# bags of Cowboy lump for $29.99 at the Strongsville Costco.  It's the first time I've ever come across lump at Costco up here in Ohio (I've been to one in Charlotte and it had it though).  Seems like a decent price.

Just throwin' it out there!

If it was $29.99 for the whole pallet it's a heck of a deal... go for it! =)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options

oh yeah, I forgot we're suppose to avoid lump topics... my bad.  I'm not afraid of the Lump Nazis!!!   ::)

On a related topic, they are pushing these Treager pellet smokers hard (they always have a supply of the pellets).  Anyone have one or know someone who does?  My egg is cracked in half and I'm thinking it's gonna die this summer so I guess I'm in the market.  Gotta keep my options open.

Strongsville, OH

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @TheBrewerMoose - based on your cracked BGE comment I'm guessing yours is not covered by warranty??  If it is then you can get the cracked pieces replaced at no cost.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    =) I really enjoy my pellet grill, one-touch fire start and push button temp control.  Had mine for years before I got a ceramic cooker.  Love both. 

If you get a Green Mountain Grill full size grill, there's now a stainless pizza oven insert which fits right over the firebox, I've had my stone at 898 degrees when it was 20 degrees outside, pizza cooked in less than 2 minutes. =)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

oh yeah, I forgot we're suppose to avoid lump topics... my bad.  I'm not afraid of the Lump Nazis!!!   ::)

On a related topic, they are pushing these Treager pellet smokers hard (they always have a supply of the pellets).  Anyone have one or know someone who does?  My egg is cracked in half and I'm thinking it's gonna die this summer so I guess I'm in the market.  Gotta keep my options open.

Traeger does a good job with BBQ cooks and with the grill grates added you can sear adequately. Lacks the versatility of a Kamado, but what cooker doesn't. Make sure you get a digital controller and stay clear of the renegade they sell on the infomercial. It's a step down from the pro series. 

Get your egg fixed either way. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'll let you know when it comes back to my Costco, but I'm almost positive it was $18-20 a bag last summer for the big bag.  That sounds high to me.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I saw this a week or so ago at our Wally World and thought it was $13.50 too high.

Flint, Michigan
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    That lump comes from the horse the cowboy rides. 
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

lousubcap yeah, I picked it up a long time ago with the table and accessories for $500. 

Fred19Flintstone I don't think that's the 34 lb bag, I can't read it on the side of the bag but the big 34 lb-er is pretty big and a little square.

Strongsville, OH

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm on my third bag of the BGE charcoal that came with my Egg and have been really happy. There's not enough savings to be gained with the Cowboy stuff for me to roll the dice. I'll grab some Royal Oak if I can't get BGE.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Good idea, no BGE available get Royal oak.  =)
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    But….. Is it "Blade Tenderized?"  :)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    BGE  lump is made by Royal Oak.  Keep some cash in your pocket and avoid the mark-up.  Buy Royal Oak lump.  It's the same stuff and costs less.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MickeyD
    MickeyD Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to your local Gordon Food Service store.  Their GFS labeled lump is also packed by Royal.  Great price too..
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Just picked up a 15# bag of Royal Oak at Wally World. $7. Seemed like a good deal.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Just picked up a 15# bag of Royal Oak at Wally World. $7. Seemed like a good deal.
    I got 5 of these for $7 as well in NC
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @TheBrewerMoose I told you I would follow up on this...my wife went to Costco today. Finally came in. $19.99 for the 34# bag. 

If you go go back to your Costco you may want to talk to a manager about doing a price match on their Franklin, TN location. 

I highly doubt it costs them an additional 50% markup to get it through KY. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Curious if anyone has actually grilled with this product yet?

I am not a fan of the regular cowboy we typically see in stores.  I am curious if this is better or different form the standard cowboy.

I am curious because Costco usually doesn't carry bad products.  This stuff is currently $19 for 34 lbs in Minnesota.

I am tempted to try it but hoping for some real life reviews first.
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I have no complaints about the $19.99 34# bag of Cowboy lump I got in Indianapolis Costco.  It really wasn't bad at all- didn't have the nasty smoke that took forever to clear like I remembered.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    If you have never tried cowboy before I'd suggest splitting a bag with a "buddy". Unless the 2 bags I got were a fluke this stuff is terrible to say the least. Burned 1 fire from each bag and threw the rest away. Never again.
    Snellville, GA

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    I'm about half way through my bag. Here are my comments:
    - tiny pieces throughout, which isn't a huge problem just changes the way I build my fire. 
    - it smokes a lot. I mean a lot..  unless you have a hot bed of coals it's chasing your guests off the patio. 
    - it's a big bag, like too big. Maybe it's why all the pieces are crumbled. 
    - I bought a couple of prime ribeyes and in building my fire I found a decent sized chunk. (Yay, right?). But it looked like it had a little wood left in it, not full charcoal yet, but I threw it in anyways. Then I start to see black smoke. So I open it up and pull that one piece out with tongs and it's a knot of pine. PINE. It smelled great after I tossed it into the fire pit but this isn't like a chunk of clay of a nail.., this would've ruined $40 of steak and that is unacceptable.

My son in law is taking the one unopened bag back to Costco and I'll have to inspect everything now or I might just toss it.  Bottom line: I do not recommend Cowboy brand lump. 

Strongsville, OH

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I am always willing to try something new, but especially considering how efficient the BGE is with fuel I don't mind paying a little more for better lump.
    Stillwater, MN