Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun Treat - Smoked Bologna

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see all the posts today about ribs, brisket, pork, and they all sound awesome. This afternoon we have been invited over to a friends house so I dont have to do the main course, thankfully, so I decided to do a little treat. I have several dozen ABT's that are about to hit the other smoker but I also have a 3 pound hunk of Garlic Bologna sitting on the egg right now that I'm bringing over. Its been a long time since I've done this but each time I ask myself why I wait so long to do it. TERRIBLY simple and quite the treat to eat.[p]Literally, all I do is score the bologna to allow the rub to penetrate the meat a bit farther, then rub it with a pork rub, set it on the cooker indirect about 250 and forget about it. You cant burn this stuff. I usually cook it about 4 hours for a 3 pound chunk.[p]Good luck to everyone cooking this weekend. Be smart, drive safe if you are driving, and have a great Labor Day.[p]Troy

Comments

• ronbeaux
    Options
    sprinter,
    That sounds like a great way to jazz up normal ole bologna! I'm putting it on my ever growing list.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Yeah, I've also taken a knife and cut holes through the bologna. Keep the ends of the long piece you cut out to make "plugs" to put back in. Put one of the ends back in, fill the hole with BBQ sauce, and put the other end back in. The sauce seeps throug the meat while you smoke it and flavors it inside out.[p]I cant take credit for all of these ideas and I wish I could credit who they came from. I just tried it once and really liked it. So does the family. Do a search on smoked bologna and you'll see a lot of other ideas.[p]Troy
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    sprinter,
    Yeah, every time I think I might have created something I find out that it's been done before. I'm just glad I hang out here because there is always something to learn. And a man can only have so much brisket, butt, and chicken. Change is good.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I've used the method with the pipe where you core and plug after filling with sauce. It can get messy due to the fit of the plug. Next I tried an apple core tool and a couple of tooth picks to hold them in place, it worked better. I think careful knife fork with a fillet knife is the best. [p]BTW, I still like it better without the sauce. It is comforting to know you are smoking something that is ready to eat before it goes in the cooker. LOL[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery