Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir fry cooking with the BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done any stir fry cooking with their BGE. I took an old wok and bent the long handle up so the bottom of the wok nearly touched the coals. Heats up a lot faster than my gas range, doesn't heat up the kitchen, in the summer stir frying can run ya out it gets so hot. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dutchtrt,
    Have not tried it yet, but I bet it works great. I picked up one of those raw chinese iron woks in Canada for $15 canadian. you have to season it like cast iron, but once seasoned, it is indispensible. We have been using it a bunch on the stove. Wish I would have picked up 2 or 3 of them. I often am frustrated at the lack of intense heat I get (even with a nice gas stove). The egg would be a great way to do it, and you would surely get higher temps...plus the dome could be closed to hold in moisture and add a hint of smoke flavor. And if you are stir-frying seafood, all the smells will stay outside![p]Maybe I'll get Qfan, Earl or Roger to pick me a couple more of those woks up and send em down here to the states.[p]I say go for it

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • .....just name the store if you can remember and I`ll be more than glad to ship em off to you Nature Boy..[p]Roger!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, If you can wait another 3 months, I think you'll see a veritable invasion of Canucks into your backyard. Grapevine says there'll be more than just Earl, Barb, Denise and I at Eggfest this year. Send your shopping list!
    Cheers
    Qfan

• char buddy
    Options
    Dutchtrt,[p]I've tried it a couple of times. I got a wok that fits the large BGE from a BGE store in St. Louis or someplace near there. I don't have the url handy, but I'm sure you can get from the BGE site by searching the St. Louis area.[p]How does it work? It woks great...... You guessed right. It heats up real nice and recovers heat well each time you add a new ingredient. I've mainly cooked frozen veggies just to try it out. I could swear a little bit of smoke flavor got through, but that could be a bad memory at work.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Roger,
    That is kind of you! I probably couldn't tell you if I tried. I know I got it at that Chinese Super Mall that is outside of Toronto (about 20 minutes northeast if I remember). It was a cutlery store near one of the entrances. I think I saw those things at many of the chinese stores in and around Toronto.[p]If you happen to see one around cheap, and it is convenient for you, grab a couple and I'll hook up with you at the Eggfest. You are going?[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Oooh boy! I'd love some of that great canadian mustard! Likewise, too, for yall canucks, if there is anything I can grab for yooz, lemme know.
    Cheers! Look forward to the pre-eggfest bash on thursday before the show. Either here at my place, or downtown DC.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com