Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand spankin' new BGE user

Options
NoleGirl
NoleGirl Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone, I've really enjoyed this great website and reading all of the post by you eggsperienced BGE users. I just put my egg together this afternoon. I've wanted one for a while, and I'm soooo excited about my fabulous purchase. I think for my first project it's going to be a personal favorite--- ribeye steaks!! Can any of you give me a great idea for a rub (already got JJ's recipe) or should I use a marinade. Thanks in advance!!!! Lisa

Comments

• NoleGirl,.....I like Montreal Steak Spice sprinkled all over my RibEyes......Doesn`t seem to burn like some rubs..[p]Roger

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    NoleGirl,[p]A hearty welcome to the forum and Egg family.[p]An 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" thick ribeye is a very beautiful thing. May I suggest only a light dusting of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to both sides just prior to the cook. Clarify some butter to be brushed on just prior to serving.[p]If you want to get fancy, a light coating of good olive oil, fine minced onions, and fine miced garlic (2-4 hour marinade in the fridge). Still add the salt and pepper prior to the cook.[p]You are going to love your Egg.[p]Spin

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    NoleGirl, Spin and Roger gave good advice. A thick cut steak was my first choice followed by ribs. I like MSS and the salt and pepper but I always set my steaks out at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking. I always spray with extra virgin olive oil after applying the seasoning.
    Welcome and good to have you,[p]CWM

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    NoleGirl,
    Go with whatever you think you will like. Experiment and develope your personal favorites. Anything you do on the EGG will be good, some will be better than others. That's what you stick with.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    NoleGirl,[p]Welcome. I agree with Spin, steaks are great pretty plain. Salt and Pepper is all I use for them. Be careful, 700 deg in the Egg is a nice hot fire - be careful opening the dome and really be careful if you're dwelling steaks. Always open the chimney and vent before opening the dome.[p]
    Tim

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    NoleGirl, Congrats on the new Egg. You will most definitely enjoy it. Ribeyes are wonderful cuts of meat and come out beautifully on the Egg. In the posts you've received so far, only Tim has mentioned the need to be cautious when grilling at high temps. Even if you have the 'Cookbook and Manual' from BGE they do not outline the need to do what we here call 'burping the Egg'. This comes at the point after you go into the 'dwell', which is after searing side I, flip, sear side II, then close both top and bottom vent for a 'dwelling' period that finishes off your steak to perfection without as high of a heat/direct flame. Failure to re-open the vents before removing steak can/will create a vacuum into which the outside air will rush after lifting the lid and 'whoosh'; you could be getting licked by the dragon! An unsettling experience for a first-time cook (or 2nd or 10th or 100th for that matter!). This is in no way to be taken as an over-reaction or scare tactic, just some thermo-dynamic basics from one of the many who learned this lesson after the fact!
    If I haven't explained this well enough, please ask for clarification from the group; I certainly wouldn't want you to have a negative experience the first time out when it can be so easily remedied.
    Cheers and enjoy that ribeye!
    BBQfan1

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    NoleGirl, Welcome to the community of Eggville.[p]You have gotten great adviced from all the guys. I would like to add only one more thing.
    Your steak /rare/medium/well done/ is going to be relative to your temperature/time and thickness of the steak . So lets use 700F for a example. Your coals look like the remanents of Hades, and its hot in there. The temps will drop to around 600 when you put in the steaks.
    (Two or three ribeye's 1 inch thick)
    Top cover is off, and bottom vent is wide open.
    Usually 2 minutes per side to sear the steak and about 5 minutes in a dwell or simmer mode with the Egg shut down with cap on and bottom vent shut. This is medium to medium rare.[p]Adjust your time to steak thickness accordingly. Long post but your new..sorry about that..
    Breathless C~W
    (I'm only good for one of these a day)

• NoleGirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your solicited and extremely useful advise. I will be very careful opening my egg at high temps!!! I do appreciate that advice!! No one could express that enough!! Everyone one of you gave me great advice and added something!! You guys should write a new manual! Tim helped me 2 days ago and his web site and recipes are finger-lickin'. I'm from Marietta, Ga.(Atl. suburb) and I can't wait to see you all at the eggtoberfest!!I'm coming to try Spin's pizza, and all of your favorites!! Hey I promise I'll have my own by then! Look forward to asking your advice may more times. That's how you get success right??? Thanks for the welcome--I'm IN!Lisa McFall

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NoleGirl, I agree with ya, yer hangin with a good group. In most cases its a live wire cookbook.
    Cheerio and good luck
    C~W

• NoleGirl
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I'm so excited!! Can you remember you 1st time?? With the BGE!! I'll post tomorrow night with my results.....unless I've died and gone to heaven. I'm planning to try out some caribbean recipes next week.......just got back from Tortola British Virgin Islands!! I'll share I promise!! Lisa

• JJ
    Options
    NoleGirl,
    We lived in Sandy Springs for 25 yrs before moving to Alabama. I remember my first cook on an EGG and that was going on 23 yrs ago.

• NoleGirl
    Options
    JJ,
    I've got your rub already made up and the marinade recipe ready!! What a great guy you are to share your SECRETS with all of US! Most people hold on to that family secret. For what? If it doesn't make someone else smile......it's now that great of a secret!!! Great to talk to one of the best!! Will you be in Atl. for Eggtoberfest? Lisa

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    NoleGirl, Welcome to the worlds best forum!
    For your first steaks I would go with something simple like MSS and follow C~W's advice about being careful upon opening the top after the shutdown. It will make a scary 'poof' of a fireball if you don't. (Guess how I know this ;))
    I did not need all that hair anyway LOL. So don't be afraid, just respectful, and you will have the best steaks ever!
    later,
    ChefRD[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NoleGirl, Can I remember...heeeyaaaa. Like yesterday. Hey, JCA, one of our cuzzin cooks here on the forum is a great one for carribean stuff. She also is the originator of some fine commercial market ingredients courtesy the carribean influence. Nice gal. If your into Lobster, there is a contribution recipe from Houndog that is a keeper. Maybe someone can dig it for ya later.
    Good luck and be sure and mix up a batch of JJ's rub and his sauce. Great stuff also.
    C~W

• ChefRD, methinks that was BBQfan1 that tossed that in, and its dang good advice. Worth repeating often.
    Thanks for the push tho...:-)
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    Options
    NoleGirl,
    I will be there.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    NoleGirl,[p] As usual, i'm last on the welcome wagon. You are in for a real treat and in the company of some of the best. It will not be too long, before you get the hang of things and, are able to jump in with both feet in confidence.[p]Wecome again.[p]Earl
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    NoleGirl,[p]Welcome to the club! Like some others have posted, I like to keep steaks simple. A fine cut like ribeye doesn't need a marinade. I usually rub steaks with a light coating of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Let us know how your first cook goes!