Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie running out of charcoal after about 11-12 hours at 225 - what am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi everyone!  

I'm about a month into using my large Egg, and am really enjoying it.  On the last 2 cooks, I've run out of fuel after about 11 hours on a 16 hour cook.  I'm using the BGE charcoal in a Kick Ash Basket (with the Fire grate removed from the firebox).  Additionally, I'm using a DigiQ temp control unit to hold me right at 225 degrees.  On the days and nights of the cooks, the outdoor temps have been in the high 50's to mid 60's, and it's been raining each time.  For both cooks, I've completely filled the firebox and started the coals with the BGE fire starter.  Both times, the coal came from the same large bag of coal.  Each time, I've started fresh with new coal and a clean Egg, no ash or leftover coal.  I'm not opening the lid, either.  I am able to monitor the temps on the remote thermometer, and I've been alerted to the issue by the low temp alarm on the DigiQ.

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?  In reading the forums, it seems that I should be expecting longer burn times at such a low, controlled temp.  Could the Kick Ash Basket and lack or fire grate be causing me to burn this much faster?

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Probably not filling it up enough
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fill it up to the top of the ring. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can run 20+ with it filled to the top of the ring. I rarely let it go much below that for anything. When it gets down to the top of the firebox, or a little below I fill it back up (for most stuff)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    As above, fill til you are about limited in getting your heat deflector in place.  You nearly double your charcoal volume when loading from the top of the fire box to the top of the ring.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jebeckjr
    jebeckjr Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone.  I am a little over the firebox when I fill, but not quite to the plate setter.  i can try to add more next time.

When lighting with the BGE starters, should I be trying to get the starter all the way to the bottom, or keep it near the top of the pile?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Top of the pile is fine. Just cover it with a few pcs of lump but give it room to breathe.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Depends on your lump too. Royal Oak (they make BGE lump) tends to burn faster than some other brands. This was a cook I did with Wicked Good...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Go to top of fire ring and i would advise against reusing choked lump from prior cooks
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Lump type as mentioned makes a difference. If you want to save money to buy better lump, just soak part of a twisted paper towel in cheap vegetable oil. Use that for your firestarter. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go to top of fire ring and i would advise against reusing choked lump from prior cooks
    Why? 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I never had good luck with re using charcoal, it usually burned up too fast because it had shrunk in the prior cook cycle, and fresh lump to me has always been more reliable and predictable
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I never had good luck with re using charcoal, it usually burned up too fast because it had shrunk in the prior cook cycle, and fresh lump to me has always been more reliable and predictable
    Cool. Ive never had an issue. I dont start a low and slow with only used lp but i always burn what is in there as many times as it takes until its dust. I mix in fresh with the used for bigger cooks. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I stir the old and dump new on top of it. Regardless of the type of cook I'm doing. If I had to clean out the used lump every time, I'd buy a gasser.

Been using a Weber Smokey Joe fire grate in my large lately. That means a LOT more junk to clean out every other cook or more. Not too thrilled about that, but it also means no wiggle rod or air flow problems so I live with it. And it cost $7. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Don't light your lump in several places for a long cook. I light the farthest away from the bottom vent on my XL. I can get almost 24hrs out of it on low and slow. Not that I cook that long. I just tried it a couple times to use up the lump and curiosity sake. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    How do you all have leftover lump?  Don't you do a clean burn after every cook?
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Cool. Ive never had an issue. I dont start a low and slow with only used lp but i always burn what is in there as many times as it takes until its dust. I mix in fresh with the used for bigger cooks. 
    The wife says i put the first four letters in the word analytical.....that is, i MUST clean the bge out after every cook....be it low n slow, za or a searfest for steaks.  I crank it up as high as the remaining fuel burning will allow and bake the stuff off of stones, grates, platesetters, spiders, etc.    Then the next day i remove the firebox, fire ring and sweep out everything.  Then, i crank up thw powerful leaf blower, worx turbine electric and put a tornado in the lid and base to get as much accumulated gunk outta there.   Yep, i do this every single time.   
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    The wife says i put the first four letters in the word analytical.....that is, i MUST clean the bge out after every cook....be it low n slow, za or a searfest for steaks.  I crank it up as high as the remaining fuel burning will allow and bake the stuff off of stones, grates, platesetters, spiders, etc.    Then the next day i remove the firebox, fire ring and sweep out everything.  Then, i crank up thw powerful leaf blower, worx turbine electric and put a tornado in the lid and base to get as much accumulated gunk outta there.   Yep, i do this every single time.   
    I don't even pull ash out of the bottom after every cook. I understand the egg take more care and time than a gasser, but this would be a bit much for me. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Lump burn time is all about carbon density.  Used lump is less dense than fresh lump ... it's still good, just doesn't have as many BTUs as fresh lump for an equal volume.  If you've been having trouble reaching 16 hours, you might consider saving the used lump for shorter cooks.

Royal Oak is manufactured in numerous facilities around the USA.  Their quality varies based on the various kilns, kiln masters, wood, etc.  Rockwood is made in one facility in Missouri, and thus, is more consistent from bag to bag.  With Rockwood, you can expect to use about 1/3 lb to warm up the egg to 250 degrees.  Then you'll burn about 1/3 lb per hour maintaining 250 degrees.  Also, expect to have 1 to 1-1/3 lbs left in the egg when the fire goes out.  Thus, if you're getting 11 hours of burn time, you filled the egg with a little over 5 lbs of lump ... exactly what you described in your post.

To the top of the fire bowl is a 5 lb fill.  To the top of the fire ring (actually, to the bottom of the notches in the top of the fire ring) is a 10 lb fill ... so follow the advice mentioned by folks above ... fill it up and you'll have no problems with a 16 hour cook.

If you're a certified nerd, use the search function for "lump trivia" to see more details.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh. I do that too but different :lol: