Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone moved an Egg in a PODS?

Options
THEBuckeye
THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
We have a 600 mile move coming up in a few weeks. I've got a Large Egg and cracked fire box and ring - I have warrantied replacements in boxes waiting for the move and have a new version in the box band kit. I'm thinking remove the fire box and ring, remove the existing band kit and place the base upside down and the dome right side up on the floor of the PODS. Think the base and dome will survive unscathed? How could I better protect them? 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Good luck on the move!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    It will survive. I have moved our large ~800 miles in the back of my truck. Used esentially the same set up you are thinking about, except I set them on a pallet and wrapped it. Strapped the pallet down. It didn't move at all. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    With the guts removed as long as the base and dome can't bounce up and down or get hit with anything they will not break.
    I would not invert the base. They are factory shipped with corrugated paper under the base and dome inverted into the base with cardboard between the 2.
    Safe travels
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Stop by the mothership or Roswell Hardware. They likely will have an OEM box. 

Where are you relocating? Somewhere fun I hope. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Great idea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    The few times I have moved mine, I left the internals along, placed cardboard between dome and base and had a strap keeping the dome closed. This has been for a total of about 400 miles. I find it harder to find a good way to keep it in place in the back of the truck. 
  • THEBuckeye
    edited May 2017
    Options

Fun? Well. maybe for 6-7 months of the year. We're relocating back to Columbus, Ohio where we grew up. I dragged (well, she followed me) her to Atlanta 30 years ago.  Now, she's dragging me back - she has 5 of her 6 siblings in Columbus and her 85 father who's doing well. Plus, I will no longer be called a DAMN Yankee and convenience store clerks will once again sound smart.  :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Just moved three eggs on a commercial van.  Pulled the guts and dropped a square piece of cardboard in the bottom of the egg ... cut it slightly oversize so that the ends curled up and helped keep the fire bowl in position.  Dropped the fire bowl in on the cardboard and added some "L" shaped strips ... one leg between the top of the fire bowl and the base and the other leg hanging over the top edge of the fire bowl.  Set the fire ring on top of the "L" shaped strips and stuck some six inch wide cardboard strips between the fire bowl and the base ... they went all around the fire ring.  The cardboard held all the ceramics firmly in place.  Pulled the thermometer, wrapped it in paper, stuck that assembly into the Smokeware cap, wrapped the Smokeware cap in paper, and dropped that assembly into the KAB ... which was then put in position inside the egg.  Added the plate setter and PSWoo to the egg.  Everything was cushioned by cardboard or wrapped in paper.

The movers padded the eggs with blankets and added some large rubber bands to hold the blankets in position ... no concern for the dome opening up.  Two larges and a mini-max completed the trip in flying colors.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2017
    Options

Fun? Well. maybe for 6-7 months of the year. We're relocating back to Columbus, Ohio where we grew up. I dragged (well, she followed me) her to Atlanta 30 years ago.  Now, she's dragging me back - she has 5 of her 6 siblings in Columbus and her 85 father who's doing well. Plus, I will no longer be called a DAMN Yankee and convenience store clerks will once again sound smart.  :o
    I've got friends from that area. Good luck with the move. May the Fork be with you. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Wave as you come through Cincinnati, and welcome home!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@THEBuckeye. All the best with your move.

Phoenix 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @THEBuckeye, good luck with the move. Wife and I moved Atlanta back to the Phila area last winter after being away for 20+ years. It is really great to be surrounded by family again, but shoveling snow still really sucks...  if the move makes your wife as happy as our move made mine, you'll be glad you did it every day. Enjoy!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Westerville says welcome home.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    @da87

I hear ya! NOT looking forward to winters at all but I will Egg my way though it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Good luck with the move. I'm relocating as well and was searching for different threads on here for moving my large.  I've moved it across town in the back of a friends truck but nothing like this. I think I'm more nervous to move the egg than any other possession I have! 
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    3 eggs moved without incident.  Cardboard between each internal piece and between internals and base.  Eggs wrapped in packing blankets.  Survived loading, 1600 miles in moving truck, unloading into warehouse, reloading onto truck and delivery to my house.  All in perfect order.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    The Mothership could also help with packing materials!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Update: Turned out we scrapped the PODS (LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE - they changed our agreed to dates). I was determined to get to the CEO but he is shielded better than El Chapo.

Our mover actually packed the Egg on the big moving van. Taped shut, padded and secured. I never had to do a thing other than a clean burn and clean out. The only damage was to one leg of the platesetter. Fired her up last evening for some burgers.

We are no longer Damn Yankees. We left but will miss Atlanta and our home greatly.

All is well in the world.  =
    New Albany, Ohio