Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Watches. What's your newest acquisition

Options

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ukjdwLAIc
    The best watch is one with sentimental value....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Went on a cruise on spring break, and they had a real nice selection of TAG and Citizen watches.  They were a bit above my pay grade, but they were nice to look at.  I kept trying to get a better deal on them, but they didn't want to work with me on it.   No bueno!    
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Throwing my Rolex in the ring.  35 years and counting, I bet it's played over 3000 rounds of golf, became a World Champion silhouette shooter 1984, outlasted 2 wives working very good with the 3rd. Mrs Cactus loves me as I do her. Doesn't keep time worth a SH**.  Rolex has stopped selling parts for their watches so now you have to return them to Rolex for repair. Basic cleaning and tune up now runs about $900.00
    like a mercedes 123 chassis 240D....bulletproof, classically elegant, functional amd endearing....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'd like a nice watch with a digital compass
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    have not had a wrist watch since maybe 2nd grade, wore it a week and it itched like crazy, never wore one again. have picked up a few rolex, very nice, wish i could wear one. so old school it is, 5:37 am =)

Image result for sun at high noon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @Hairless_Hand and @camofreak, ordered the Seiko SKX 007 today from Amazon....27k+ rewards points, i think it was $191.00 and free shipping.  I need a sturdy robust watch that can be worn to the mountains, beach, barbecue work station amd flag football practice.   That thing looks ideal amd cant wait to wear it snorkeling in mexico!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

cause it's important to know what time it is while snorkeling...

jk.  that's a sharp looking watch @westernbbq .
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    That is actually pretty funny....injust like a self winder that can withstand the abuse i put it through....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

I don't use a watch, but here's my foreman using the finest in wearable sundial technology.

Flint, Michigan
  • Hairless_Hand
    Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
    Options
    @westernbbq Congrats on your new purchase. Glad I played a role in spending your money. You will love the Seiko SKX.  It is a classic. 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Haven't worn a watch since I retired.  Who cares what time it is?~~
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    have not had a wrist watch since maybe 2nd grade, wore it a week and it itched like crazy, never wore one again. have picked up a few rolex, very nice, wish i could wear one. so old school it is, 5:37 am =)

Image result for sun at high noon
    been a hard worker most of my life, and I've been "on time" most as well. In ~ another 12 yrs, I will be 55 yrs old and I'm throwing my watches and clocks away..

If someone asks me "Do you have the time?"

My reply "Nope, don't really care as long as I'm still breathing and above the ground."

Anyone who wants to get me will be on "my time".
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    iPhone 7 a couple of days ago in Kissimmee.
    Gave my Rolex Submainer SS/GoldBlue face to Daughter a lot of years ago when I got my first pocket phone and never wore one again.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Rascal said:
    Haven't worn a watch since I retired.  Who cares what time it is?~~
    Don't you need to know what time it is for the doctor visits?  =)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    @ryantt.... Ball watch fan here.   I'm basically a lume whore.  So with that said, of course I own some seikos too.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    odie91 said:
    @ryantt.... Ball watch fan here.   I'm basically a lume whore.  So with that said, of course I own some seikos too.  
    Your notifications stress me out!  :smile:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

My wife bought me this when we got marries or as she describes the day "the day my life changed forever" (I take that in a good way because I choose to be positive)

Don't wear it much as the line of work I am in will undoubtedly destroy it, pirating is a tough gig.  

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• westernbbq
    Options
    @westernbbq Congrats on your new purchase. Glad I played a role in spending your money. You will love the Seiko SKX.  It is a classic. 
    Hey i used rewards points from credit card...so no money out of pocket.  Couldve bought one for $18 less but paying with rewards points was pretty cool.
  • westernbbq
    edited May 2017
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^
    That is exactly it. It seems there have been several scoffs at this thread for what ever the reason.  Meanwhile those who scoff will go and buy something of significant value and in a few years it's worth half or less. Everyone has their vices, or once in a lifetime purchases and those that don't see a value in it turn up their noses at it. 
    People spend their money on what makes them happy. Cars, boosts, motorcycles guns, golf, watches, camera equipment etc. 

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. 
    I agree. 
    Its just puzzling to me why people post like they do when they have no dog in the fight. 
    You forgot to include big green eggs and other cooking accessories in your list of people spending money on things that make them happy...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have had a bunch of watches over time. Sentimental and those I had paid dearly for. Kept them in a mahogany box, I purchased overseas. Sentimental value was priceless, the others were worth a few thousand.
    They went missing, discovered later they were stolen for drugs. The box was stolen as well.
    I wear a fit bit now. Novelty at best, and it reminds me everyday of what a loser I am when it comes to exercise. Such is life. But it also keeps the time. I use my cell phone mostly for time keeping, with the functions for alarm, timer, etc.
    I just can't bring myself to ever buying another nice time piece. I am glad for those that do, as I appreciate the fine craftsmanship of a well made watch. I just spend money a bit different these days.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have had a bunch of watches over time. Sentimental and those I had paid dearly for. Kept them in a mahogany box, I purchased overseas. Sentimental value was priceless, the others were worth a few thousand.
    They went missing, discovered later they were stolen for drugs. The box was stolen as well.
    I wear a fit bit now. Novelty at best, and it reminds me everyday of what a loser I am when it comes to exercise. Such is life. But it also keeps the time. I use my cell phone mostly for time keeping, with the functions for alarm, timer, etc.
    I just can't bring myself to ever buying another nice time piece. I am glad for those that do, as I appreciate the fine craftsmanship of a well made watch. I just spend money a bit different these days.

Sorry to hear of the robbery man, when I am not pirating I consult to the Tennessee Meth Task Force sadly as we all know robbery and drugs go hand in hand, lots of sad stories too.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @westernbbq that's an awesome purchase. It's as durable or more a movement as any. I got my seiko 5 for a whopping $15 -- kept awesome time until I accidentally magnetized it!  I love Seikos, it's a very cool company, they make some really unique movements
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^
    That is exactly it. It seems there have been several scoffs at this thread for what ever the reason.  Meanwhile those who scoff will go and buy something of significant value and in a few years it's worth half or less. Everyone has their vices, or once in a lifetime purchases and those that don't see a value in it turn up their noses at it. 
    People spend their money on what makes them happy. Cars, boosts, motorcycles guns, golf, watches, camera equipment etc. 

I agree. 
    Its just puzzling to me why people post like they do when they have no dog in the fight. 
    You forgot to include big green eggs and other cooking accessories in your list of people spending money on things that make them happy...
    YEP!!!  Post something about the Flame Boss or Guru and you'll get a dozen people telling you what a waste it is and how it's cheating.  Yet they have multiple BGE's while their trusty old Weber is collecting dust.....and a smart phone instead of a flip phone, and have a nice car instead of a pair of walking shoes, and use email rather than hand writing letters.  Cheating?  Makes me laugh everytime.  Technology is a good thing, and so are the things that make you happy.  I'm not on any allowance, trust, charity, or government assistance--I make my own money and I'll spent it any way I want to.  And that thought process & respect goes to anybody else I'm not supporting!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    ^^^^^^

I agree. 
    YEP!!!  Post something about the Flame Boss or Guru and you'll get a dozen people telling you what a waste it is and how it's cheating.  Yet they have multiple BGE's while their trusty old Weber is collecting dust.....and a smart phone instead of a flip phone, and have a nice car instead of a pair of walking shoes, and use email rather than hand writing letters.  Cheating?  Makes me laugh everytime.  Technology is a good thing, and so are the things that make you happy.  I'm not on any allowance, trust, charity, or government assistance--I make my own money and I'll spent it any way I want to.  And that thought process & respect goes to anybody else I'm not supporting!!!!
    so i dont have a bbq control device, still have a flip phone, im still driving my 1989 that i bought in 1989, and i still write letters but i fax them =) these are the things that make me happy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @fishlessman and @stlcharcoal,  right on brethren!   As long as it isnt illegal or immoral and it makes you happy, do it.

I do have a small collection of nice watches, i dont wear them often but when i do, i really enjoy them.  I drive an old car that to me, is pretty cool,  and i have enough cooking accessories to start a small catering service,  including the four big green eggs...2 xl, 1 L and 1 MM.   Whenever a new gadget comes out that looks interesting like the smobot, ill throw some money at it.   I do own three guru setups and will keep them even after i get the four smobots i ordered.....using a temp controller isnt cheating.  If it saves your lungs, lets you sleep and produces incredible results, by all means, go for it.  

So, i agree with those on here who are all about enjoying life.   Too much stress exists otherwise and we all need diversions.  Some guys build stuff, others restore cars.  I like to cook scratch made pizza, grind sausage and smoke big hunks of meat on the bge...why? Because these things make me happy, they help me perform better in my job, and doing these things keeps me sane in what would would be a stressful life that would cause me to become a really bad alcoholic...and the amount of sharing on this forum only enhances the experience.    

Oh i like cool watches too!

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @westernbbq that's an awesome purchase. It's as durable or more a movement as any. I got my seiko 5 for a whopping $15 -- kept awesome time until I accidentally magnetized it!  I love Seikos, it's a very cool company, they make some really unique movements
    If you have an old school computer monitor I heard you can demagnetize a watch by holding it against it and pressing the degauss button.  Or I guess you can buy a $20 demag tool to fix your $15 watch haha
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Arrived today.  Awesome watch and i wouldve never known about it without this forum. thanks guys! 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
    Options
    Arrived today.  Awesome watch and i wouldve never known about it without this forum. thanks guys! 
    You are going to love it. Enjoy!
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Where my watch everyday and rarely take it off - only when working on things that might damage it. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV