Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a 5 1/4 lb. choice brisket. Rubbed it up real good with a combo of Dizzy Dust and Cowlick (thanks Chris, package got here in time for the brisket!) How long can I expect this hunk o' meat to take? I plan to foil when its 190-195 and would like to plate it around 6pm tomorrow. Any general rules to follow and preferred temps to cook this baby? I have read many threads on brisket but not too many give timelines for a 5 pounder.
Thanks, folks, I can't wait to try this thing...
wrobs

Comments

• wrobs,
    I did a 3 - 3 1/2 pounder at 250 and it took just about 6 hours. Hit a big plateu at 170ish for like 2 hours.

• wrobs,
    Pull the tough piece of meat at 200 and hope for the best.
    Happy chewing. [p]Chef Jerry

• My guess is 6-8 hours, time it for eight hours, start checking about six, if done early foil and rest. Pull when tender or approx 190 degrees, if you let it go to 200+ you will have pot roast (see post below).
  • wrobs,[p]Just finished dinner of a 4 lb flat from Costco (ei. no fat cap on it).[p]Rubbed it last night with Chris's recipe, 1/2 Cowlick , 1/2 turbinado sugar. Starting at 9am I smoked with Jack Daniels chips @ 250° dome for 5 hours, then wrapped in double Al foil with some apple juice and back in for 1 more hour. Pulled, wrapped in towels and put in cooler for an hour or more before slicing. You can let it stay in the towels for several hours to suit your schedule.[p]Served the apple/meat juice on the side (not much fat in it at all).[p]Awfully hard to beat!!![p]Good luck![p]DD
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    DobieDad,
    That sounds really good! I will try the apple juice...do you use it straight or cut it with water? I was planning on using a little mesquite/pecan combo for smoke but haven't really decided. What was the meat temp after 5 hours? Do you pull and foil at a predetermined temp or strictly by time?
    wrobs

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    wrobs,
    DobieDad's suggestions are 'right on'. Use straight apple juice and foil when internal temp. is 160 degrees. Pull when internal temp. is 190-200 degrees depending on the 'fork test' results, i.e., when you can easily twist a fork inserted into the brisket. After removing from the egg, place in a dry cooler covered with towels or newspaper for 2-3 hours. This last step is very important for getting a brisket that is very tender.