Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nuts!

An Egg Downunder
An Egg Downunder Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
nutsBGE1.jpg
<p />It wasn't the Labor Day holiday weekend in Australia (that happened in May) but Sunday was Father's Day. My 80-year-old parents joined us for a bbq lunch. My father has always loved nuts so I decided to do some on the egg as a pre-lunch snack.[p]I used fresh (unsalted) macadamias and cashews (the macadamias were grown in our backyard). I mixed a little sriracha sauce with the nuts to form a 'glue' for the rub which was very simple (black pepper, salt, paprika, dried garlic and onion).[p]I sprinkled the rub over the nuts, spread them out on a pizza screen and cooked them on a raised grid at 250 for 1.5 hours over pecan wood until nicely 'tanned'. They were great - smoky, a little bit of bite from the chilli sauce and a nice rounded spice flavour.

Comments

• An Egg Downunder,
    Looks and sounds great. Thanks for posting the recipe. I love nuts. (2:00 AM Central Time Here) [p]Spring "Tastes A Little Like Wild Hickory Nuts" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    An Egg Downunder,
    Macadamias have about the toughest shell I have ever seen! How do you crack them without mashing the nutmeat?[p]I have a friend with two trees and he gives me bags of the nuts, which I love, but they are almost impossible to crack.

• BobS,
    I use a bench vise. Works like a charm.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p] Our Hyacinth Macaw did a great job with Maca..s, our other Macaws couldn't crack em. Made the mistake of throwing the empty shells up on our hillside ... BIG mistake ... permanent part of the landscape now.[p]Tom B (EggSport)

• BobS
    The Naked Whiz,
    Good idea, cause a hammer just does not do the trick. Now all I need is a bench vice. I am going to see if I can find a small one that will mount on the edge of a cabinet top, kind of like a manual grinder....

• BGEmacanut.JPG
    <p />BobS,[p]The macadamia is an Austalian native tree and it is still widely known in this country as 'the Queensland Nut'.[p]Most of us with Qld nut trees have small, sturdy metal devices that hold the nut securely at the top and bottom. Pressure is then increased until a crack appears. [p]After a bit of practice you can get a 70% plus yield of whole kernels.[p]My old Labrador - Fatboy - was able to crack them with his jaw![p]
  • Tom B (EggSport),[p]A suggestion - try using the shells for smoking.
  • An Egg Downunder,[p]Cute. All you need is a head on top and it's a "nutcracker sweet!"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_1235.jpg
    <p />BobS,
    I use this unit on all kinds of nuts. With the leverage and plunger action it delivers increditable crushing force, yet since it is easily adjustable to the size of nut you are cracking you quickly learn how to get most nut meats out whole. I will admit though nuts with a strong internal shell structure such as black walnuts and hickory nuts I've learned to quarter them using my band saw!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP, Now there is a novel idea. I have seen walnuts cut crosswise and used for buttons, but I would not have thought to cut them up with a bandsaw to get at the kernels. I am a hobby woodworker with two bandsaws and there are plenty of nuts this year so I will give your system a try. How many finger do you have?[p]Bill

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    HillbillyWilly,
    LOL - all 3 of them!
    I used to whack nuts in my workshop, but flying debris always ended UNDER everthing and that encouraged undesirables to move indoors! So using two hands in a steady grip on both sides of the band saw blade it works fairly well. I just wipe my blade from time to time. Of course be aware the nut meats will be in small pieces due to digging them out with a pick.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • An Egg ownunder,[p] Hmmmmmmmm ..... always a bigger fish ! Can't hurt to try.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]
  • BobS
    An Egg Downunder,[p]That is very interesting -- I am going to get a couple of those made!!![p]