Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger question...

Options
MikeHLoudon
MikeHLoudon Posts: 38
Do most on here do burgers  direct or raised direct?  I can keep it around 400 when doing burgers but the flames sometimes flare up and can char a burger or two and I was wondering if I'm the only one who's had this issue...thanks!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hot and direct. A little char is good imo. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I always do burgers raised direct. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • deadlyfrog
    deadlyfrog Posts: 92
    Options
    After the smash you will never look back!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Raised direct
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Friday I did raised direct for some and smashed on the blackstone for the rest.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Raised direct at 400=Good!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Like everyone so far "raised direct".  However, when using my Grill Grates, direct but I don't heat the egg past 600.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The flare ups are obviously fat related. Try another type of grind and see if you like it. I use 85/15 Round and flare ups aren't an issue regardless of raised grid or not. I prefer raised direct 450-500F 
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I also do raised direct around 500.  I typically am cooking thicker (pub) style burgers. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I was at the G store the other day and they were out of my ground round 85/15. Normally, I'd just go buy a bird or something but decided to get some chuck based off of this thread. I bought some Publix Greenwise (the best the store has to offer) 80/20 chuck as it was on sale. I can't remember the last time I cooked a chuck burger. Probably close to 20 years. It was awful in every aspect. Flareups, excessive shrinkage, overly greasy etc. I can see why folks have problems cooking burgers. In my humble opinion, the 85/15 round is light years ahead of the chuck burgers. Give it a whirl, if you think the ground round isn't a better burger, then you can blame ol' Doubleegger...
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Raised direct as well but at a lower temp as I am usually indirect on other side with a piece of fish.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Hard to believe that 5% fat content was a game changer for you. I use 2:1 chuck to sirloin but would rather use straight chuck than straight round.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I do both ways. Sometimes I want some char. I can do a form of indirect on my XL if the lump is all the way to the back. If I get flair ups just move burgers to the front where no lump is.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I just cook them at normal height and light one side of charcoal so i have a hot side and warm side. 500 degrees
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Hard to believe that 5% fat content was a game changer for you. I use 2:1 chuck to sirloin but would rather use straight chuck than straight round.
    I know. I was thinking the same thing about the 5%. Then again, who knows if those percentages are accurate anyway. I could have been 30% fat.... who knows.  IMO the round has much more flavor so maybe that's part of it as well. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Another vote raised direct at 450, I usually cook 3-4 minutes per side depending on how others want theirs burgers cooked.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Usually indirect on a baking tray first then char direct at the end. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done them direct, raise direct, but now that I have GrillGrates I do them on them direct.  Less flareups and I don't have to have the egg as hot.  I also recommend getting the spatula that is sold separately.  It makes flipping a lot easier.  

I would like to try my Little Griddle as well some time.  That would keep the flareups down as well, like in a cast iron skillet. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SOUTHERNLINKSBBQ
    Options
    I prefer smash burgers on the flat side of my grill greats
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    edited May 2017
    Options

80 / 20 premade patties

Direct at 425_ish
    5_mins each side.

Then another 30seconds each side with the buns an cheese on them.

But to prevent flair ups, I usually close the bottom vent all the way, and close the top vent almost all the for about 20 - 30 second before I open and after I close the lid.

Egging, on the Mini Max.