Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Innovations From the Dark Side

Options
They look, well, innovative.

https://youtu.be/1NYuNNFtZ3s
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow. Some very cool changes but that firebox looks like a PIA to get placed. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Very slick.

While on one hand K.I.S.S. is a great mantra, 'this is the way we've always done it' doesn't always work...
  • slobound
    slobound Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree the firebox could be a pain to assemble but I really like the new cap design, air lift hinge, and CI divider system. I love my KAB but I think the divider is a great option for cooking style. 
    - Garrick
    SoCal Egger
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Meh. The gasket looks like it has possibilities, but that's about it for me. The PITA firebox would suck! Rarely use a top vent now, so I'm not interested in their new one. Don't see the need for the one finger dome thing. Don't like the latch idea either. I'm guessing the dome won't stay closed without it. Do you have to wear welders gloves to flip the release lever? Have never felt the need for a firebox divider either (or the divide and conquer thing for that matter).

I am one of the last people on here who would be accused of being a green Kool Aid drinker. But it looks to me like KJ is "innovating" just so they can say they ARE.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm interested in this gasket's longevity. Not so much the gasket itself but, the way it's adhered. And more importantly is it available for other KJ owners to purchase to install on an older model Joe?  If it is I'd say this would be a logical upgrade for BGE owners alike. Not to say I don't like my Rutland. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I'm interested in this gasket's longevity. Not so much the gasket itself but, the way it's adhered. And more importantly is it available for other KJ owners to purchase to install on an older model Joe?  If it is I'd say this would be a logical upgrade for BGE owners alike. Not to say I don't like my Rutland. 
    My gut says the gasket is probably tube like initially with a pronounced seam which gets attached somehow in a concentric groove molded in the base and dome. If I'm correct it would not be adaptable to a BGE.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    My gut says the gasket is probably tube like initially with a pronounced seam which gets attached somehow in a concentric groove molded in the base and dome. If I'm correct it would not be adaptable to a BGE.
    You could be right Ron. I know it is tube shaped but never looked hard enough at it to see how it was attached.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm impressed with the Kamado Joe, but I'm satisfied with my BGE. 
    If I were just looking to get into ceramic cooking I would seriously consider a Joe.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RRP said:

PattyO on the old forum, bought a fiberglas kitchen oven gasket years ago. Don't recall how she attached it and I don't know if it's still going (it's probably been 6-7 years now). Those are tubular as well (at least the one on my oven is). Don't see why you couldn't attach it with Permatex (unless the "seam" is huge. Have to see one I guess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Nothing to see here that hasn't been tossed around with several pages of comments here:  The market will decide.

Is BGE really falling behind?  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    I'll probably buy one of these in about a hundred years when my Large finally breaks down.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like everything on it, minus the firebox.  The gasket looks like what the big steel kegs have.  Mine never leaked an ounce of smoke.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm throughly impressed!!! The buffalo will be nailing this thread for sure! These innovations show a company which is thinking and not resting on their butts!
    Well said Ron. If other manufacturers start turning out great products, then BGE will step up their game as well. It's a "win win" for customers. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    RRP said:
    I think it is a clip attachment, like the Akorn, was looking at LavaLock for some low temp felt for the Weber Kettle and saw the ad for a KJ
    replacement. 
    http://bbqgaskets.com/wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket-replacement-for-kamado-joe-classic-18-by-lavalockr.html

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    RRP said:

I think it is a clip attachment, like the Akorn, was looking at LavaLock for some low temp felt for the Weber Kettle and saw the ad for a KJ
    replacement. 
    http://bbqgaskets.com/wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket-replacement-for-kamado-joe-classic-18-by-lavalockr.html

Well, it's rated at only 1,000º which is well below a 2,200º Rutland, but who's comparing? hehehe ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP, good point, I'm thinking it is a commercial oven type gasket, so the 1000ºF is good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Firebox - looks like a real pain.  I have no use for the "firebox splitter".  I have an XL and all I have to do is push the charcoal to one side if I needed something like that.  The XL doesn't need a lock.  When we have the @RRP gasket, don't think that is very "innovative". 

I think I will stick with my XL BGE.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have a buddy who just put together the firebox. He said it was easy. Lay everything in place, put the ring ontop and nudge the pieces into place.  

I have been following the KJ fan Facebook group.  The gasket was announced in January, steel woven around fiberglass that will be retrofitable to older generations of Joe's.  
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Those innovations seem like solutions in search of a problem. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Without first hand experience, I like the idea of the ash catcher and the segmented firebox.  I've had a broken BGE firebox and the segmented firebox design looks to be able to handle expansion and contraction better than a one piece unit.  Since I don't remove the firebox more often than a blue moon, the PITA argument is lost on me.  The top vent looks more appealing than the standard daisy wheel, but I think I still prefer the Smokeware cap.  
    I like my eggs, but there's nothing wrong with checking out what the competition is doing and God forbid, liking their innovative style.  I wish the mothership would do some of these things.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    People didn't you read your purchase agreement?  When you bought the BGE you essentially got married.  No checking out other brands, even if it just for "research" or "you thought you knew her from highschool".
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Another new KJ "innovation" ( or rip-off or unneeded toy depending upon ones point of view) is this new gizmo coming out this summer:

It is a pit controller with the electronics and fan in a weatherproof enclosure. One neat trick is that it has a much more powerful fan that can be triggered by the software  "Startup Mode" to run at full blast (30cfm) after you light your lump and the forced air will get your fire really blazing in just a couple of minutes sort of like the BBQ Dragon does.

If I remember correctly the anticipated price point was in the neighborhood of $150. They plan on sending out a hundred or so units to users for a soft launch in June. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Another new KJ "innovation" ( or rip-off or unneeded toy depending upon ones point of view) is this new gizmo coming out this summer:

It is a pit controller with the electronics and fan in a weatherproof enclosure. One neat trick is that it has a much more powerful fan that can be triggered by the software  "Startup Mode" to run at full blast (30cfm) after you light your lump and the forced air will get your fire really blazing in just a couple of minutes sort of like the BBQ Dragon does.

If I remember correctly the anticipated price point was in the neighborhood of $150. They plan on sending out a hundred or so units to users for a soft launch in June. 

This is really cool, clever name, good pricepoint to boot considering a FB is $300.....CRUSHING IT  B)

We, as a society, have become Wifi gadget freaks, this will definitely cater to that crowd.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Focker  you're exactly right 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited May 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/iyjl-Jm_Pnw

Owner creator of kj interview he says more improvements coming in 2018 tragerizing the kamado...

Edit. Might have Ave been a different clip where he said that 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Those innovations seem like solutions in search of a problem. 
    You made a great point calling them solutions. Many of the changes KJ made are solutions. They DO fix problems. They are not only problems common to BGE but all ceramic cookers. Cracked firebox and firerings have always been a problem. Granted, they are warrantee covered but still a pain for many people who do not live close to their dealer or have dealers that are not very supportive to help with replacement parts. 
    The newer BGE gaskets are better than their past versions but I would still say its not very good. The new KJ gasket looks promising but time will tell. @RRP , how many replacement gaskets have you shipped over the years?
    Is KJ listening to their customers and trying to improve their products?
    Shame on them.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas