Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try at Jerky on the Egg

Options
Green_Giant
Green_Giant Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 10 yr old son and I are making our first attempt at some jerky. [p]We marinated some thin sliced bottom round (and just for fun some thin turkey breast strips) in a molasses/brown sugar/soy sauce/onion/garlic/pepper marinade overnight. The strips are laid out on my grill over the plate setter and some hickory chunks. Keeping dome temp under 200 degrees, and gonna let it go most of the day, checking it midday. [p]No great investment here, and it's a fun way to get Jack interested in egging ! :) Dickson

Comments

• GrillMan
    Options
    Green_Giant,
    Let us know how it turns out. I usually do jerky on my Little Chief electric smoker, but I have tried a few pieces on the egg and it actually turned out better IMHO. Keep the temp low and check it after a few hours.

• Green_Giant
    Options
    GrillMan,
    I think it turned out pretty well. I got busy with some work away from home, and so it ended up pretty much cooking all day - it was not ready at noon. What I learned or would do differently next time:[p]1. Cut all the meat across the grain for easier tearing/chewing.
    2. A little hickory goes a long way for flavor. 4 large chunks of hickory made it super smokey.
    3. Bottom round steak is good. Turkey breast is fine, but the beef is much preferred.
    4. total cooking time at about 200 was from 8:00 am to about 4 pm - 8 hrs - laid out flat on the egg's grill cooking indirect with a plate setter. [p]Overall? I might refine the marinade some, and back off the hickory smoke as well, but for a first attempt I am happy. I doubt any jerky goes to waste ! :) Dickson