Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What in the WallyWorld? (17lb Vacuum Sealed Brisket)

Options
Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped by the local WallyWorld this morning to pick up some items for my Labor Day BBQ. I came across a 17 lb Brisket for $1.39 a pound. Compared to the BJ's Wholesale Club down the road who sells at $3.39 a lb, I figured I would give cooking this a try.[p]I have a few questions[p]1) I can't tell in the seal, but this may be a flat and a point, if so do I separate the point and cook them together in the Egg?[p]2) The brisket seems quite thick, will this affect the cooking time? How long should I plan for a Brisket that is close to 17 lbs[p]3) Is it coming practice to trim some of the fat on the bottom if it is rather thick, or should I leave it alone.[p]Thanks in advance, I will try to post a pick of it later today.[p]-- Joshua

Comments

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    JoshuaKane,
    Its a point and a flat ... a whole packer.
    Yes seperate the point from the flat along the fat line ... you'll see it. Cooking time will reduce by seperating the meat. Trim the fat on the bottom side as well .. down to about a 1/4".
    Cooking time is about 2 hours a lb for a select brisket ... less for choice.
    Hope that helps.
    Doug

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    JoshuaKane,[p]After you trim it up like Doug said, I think you will find it will weigh a couple of pounds less. If you can, weigh it so you can make a more accurate estimate of when to check it the first time. The biggest one I've ever found weighed about 14lbs berofe I trimmed it and about 12 lbs after. I did not seporate the point and flat, but want to try that approach with my next packer.[p]To serve about noon, I light my egg at 2:30PM the day before, put the meat on at about 4PM and pulled when it was tender, about 6am the next day. I foiled it and rested in a cooler for several hours. Worked great!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    JoshuaKane,is choice or select grade?? It will be ink stamped on the plastic cry-o-vac. Get a copy of Dr.BBQs cookbook. If you follow his directions, it comes out wonderful.