Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Goose

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been challenged to find the best way to cook a goose on a big green egg. Anny Eggsperts who have had success with this wild bird?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Technically Chicken Chef, I know you said goose but this might be close. If you're cooking for an hour and a half I would estimate about 250-275. Maybe someone else can give a better estimate.[p]I looked for goose recipes in this site but they were just out. Maybe you're just not supposed to eat goose.
    ( Http://www.melborponsti.com/game/duck/index.htm )[p]Duck over Charcoal [p]4 Ducks
    Salt and pepper
    3 c Wine vinegar
    4 Lemons; (for juice)
    1 c Olive oil
    2 cl Garlic; pressed
    2 Onions; chopped
    3 tb Soy sauce
    1/2 ts Oregano
    12 Strips bacon[p]Wash ducks thoroughly in cold water and dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Combine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, onions, soy sauce, oregano, S & P.
    Marinate ducks in this mixture at least 8 hours. Cook over charcoal fire that has burned down low. Close top of grill. Cook about 1 1 2/ hours. Place 3 strips of bacon on each bird and cook for 30 minutes more.

• Technically Chicken Chef,[p]I keep it simple.[p]1 canada goose plucked and cleaned, make sure the kidneys are scooped out.
    2 put on vertical turkey roasting rack with drip pan
    3 egg to 325, i use alder chips to smoke the goose while it cooks
    4 i like goose med rare to med. over cooked goose is dry and chewy like a uniroyal. approx 165-170 degrees[p]i usually fix real wild rice with some chopped nuts added[p]ceasar salad
    steamed broc or asperagas with hollandais sauce
    french bread[p]remove the skin before serving individual portions of goose [p]1-2 bottles of hearty red wine[p][p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    dutchtrt, sounds like a good routine..I did two fresh kills a couple of years ago. I brined em first. Great eating.
    C~W
    (PS..brining may not be as affective with goose and duck due to the heavy duty oils and fats, but I did it anyway)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Technically Chicken Chef,
    I dug this one which is a typical roast for goose, compliments of Cabello's.
    I personally haven't used this recipe, but it appears to fit the BGE cook environment very well. If you use it, please keep it in mind and post the results.
    C~W
    ___________________________________________________________[p]Serves 8-10
    1 goose (10-12 lbs.)
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 cup onion, chopped
    2 TBS butter
    3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
    2 cups raisins
    8 cups cubed day old white bread
    2-3 TBS sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup apple cider
    1/2 cup water

[p]

[p]Directions: Sprinkle the inside of the goose with salt. Prick the skin well and set aside. In a skillet, sauté celery and onion in butter then transfer to a large bow. Add apples, raisins, bread, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat eggs and add cider and water to mix. Pour this over bread mixture and toss lightly. Stuff into goose. Place goose, with breast side up, on rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 3- 3-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 185 degrees. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. Remove dressing to serve. [p]
    [p]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Technically Chicken Chef,
    Several good recipes here

[ul][li]Wild Game [/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Wow, JJ, thanks!
    've got a ton 'o' venison, pheasant & a goose in the freezer. I think I'll haul out the big old bird and give it a try. The first goose that I smoked was waaaay overdone & the second just dandy. This time I'll aim for perfection.... JCA

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    In our area, we have what are known as shad plankings. The recipe for shad plankings, as I understand it, work very well with goose.[p]Dig a pit 4 X 4 X 4. Start a charcoal fire in bottom of the pit.
    Locate a cedar plank approximately 3/8 inch thick and no more than 4 ft long. Soak the plank and the shad overnight in one gallon of water with 2 tablespoons water. Place the cleaned shad on the plank, place it in the pit, cover the shad with dirt, let sit for at least 4 hours. At the end of four hours, carefully dig the board and the plank up, using only your bare hands.[p]Now, throw away the shad and eat the plank. Enjoy.

• Char-Woody,
    I've soaked them in apple juice,and in salt water, and used rubs. I have always come back to using a vertical roaster.[p]A good book on wild game that is out of print now, but can still be found on the internet is "Wild Game Cooking" by L.L. Bean. Has it all from fish, fowl, small and big game. Who'd ever eat a muskrat or beaver, they got some strange ones in there. For duck (mallards) I use the recipe for broiled teal breast.[p]