Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Cracked

Options
So I noticed my plate setter has a crack in it.  Are these covered under the lifetime warranty?

Displaying IMG_1021JPG

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS: The Big Green Egg brand of convEGGtor and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original purchaser. These ceramic components are not covered for breakage from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bwill
    Bwill Posts: 102
    Options
    So next question-Any suggestions on a new one?  Do you prefer the BGE version or another?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I prefer the Woo and a pizza stone instead of the PS. Check with the guys at CGS. They will get you all set up.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I havent used my platestter in years. I use the adjsutable rig and stones from Creamic Grill Store. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I havent used my platestter in years. I use the adjsutable rig and stones from Creamic Grill Store. 
    When I first signed on here, I had already purchased a PS with my new egg. Several people told me I should have gone to CGS instead. I have no use for an AR, but  a Woo and stone would apparently work well too. 

That was 8 years ago and the PS is still going strong. When/if it ever fails, I'll just use my homemade setup and a pizza stone.

And I'd never buy one as long as they call it a Conveggtor! The guy who came up with that gem should be fired! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My story is similar to @Carolina Q

I bought my plate setter when I bought the large. Then after reading on here and taking advantage of some holiday sales I got both a PSWoo and an AR rig with stones.  My most common setup is the Woo with the plate setter or a pizza stone.

So when I got my MM yesterday I skipped the PS and went with a Woo and a stone for it. Wassi's was giving 10% off on all accessories so it seemed like the best way to go. 

I think I'm going to skip the SmokeWare Cap for a while. I love the one on my LBGE but I really want yo learn to control temps better with the daisy wheel. I have the FlameBoss adapters for the MM but I'm going to hold off on that too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When I first signed on here, I had already purchased a PS with my new egg. Several people told me I should have gone to CGS instead. I have no use for an AR, but  a Woo and stone would apparently work well too. 

That was 8 years ago and the PS is still going strong. When/if it ever fails, I'll just use my homemade setup and a pizza stone.

And I'd never buy one as long as they call it a Conveggtor! The guy who came up with that gem should be fired! =)
    I have no need for one either :). I used a platesetter and stadard equip for 7-8 years. It was only when i met you fine ladies and gentlemen on here that i realized there was a whole world of accessories that i needed to spend my hard earned dollars on. All that said, if i broke my platesetter and wanted to replace it, I would go with a woo or AR and stones. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    hmm, my dealer of choice throws in a free platesetter with every egg, and they already have the lowest prices around. That being said, I had a crack in the PS of my XL and they replaced it without question. It still hasn't broke completely so the new one sits in the box on a shelf
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I have a cracked place setter now for over 15 years, got a new one to replace the cracked one when it broke all the way. The new one has been in my basement now for the entire 15 years. just keep using it until it finally breaks all the way. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I bought my XL before learning of this site also and the platesetter was thrown in as part of the deal. Eventually it developed a crack and I bought the AR/Woo2 combo. I learned the platesetter would slide into the Woo and put it in. The crack has not enlarged due to the support of the Woo and the platesetter is still intact. When it finally breaks I have the stone in storage to take its place. One thing I like regarding the PS is that it does shield probe wires from direct heat but they could be wrapped in foil  later.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    If my platesetter breaks I will get the CI version. I like using the platesetter.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    When I bought my MBGE it came with a "platesetter", I broke a leg off of it on the way back from Butt Blast...oh well time to call Tom @CCW. I have a AR with woo and stone for my LBGE now I get to have one for MBGE. (Joe Jr came with a similar set up). All is good!
    Lenoir, N.C.