Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Garden Thread

Comments

• BbqCamel
    BbqCamel Posts: 17
    Thanks it's a family occupation, which I do a vegetable garden/stand on the side. Love this thread and interested in learning about different produce that is grown on the forum!
  • my garden isnt as impressive as the rest of you guys but i have given up on veggies in my raised beds and went with Blackberry and Blueberry bushes this year. Will give my two year old her own snack corner in the yard this summer. 

Image may contain plant outdoor and nature
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    garlic poked out of the dirt friday, by sunday it was 6 inches tall, wow that grew fast, will get pics next weekend. all the hard neck russian reds are up, the soft garlic almost nothing, will see next week but i think its a lesson learned for my area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Some tomato and pepper blooms. Okra, zuchinni, cucumber, and squash plants up. First 9 sweet potato plants growing with more sprouts almost ready to plant.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

I planted in a few herbs recently.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @northGAcock What's the purple one in the right rear? The leaves look like Basil but I've not seen that color before.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    SciAggie said:
    @northGAcock What's the purple one in the right rear? The leaves look like Basil but I've not seen that color before.
    It is a purple Basil. I have not had an opportunity to try cooking / flavoring with it as yet. Looking forward to it however. I'll get back to you. Saw if for the first time at the State Farmer Market Plant show this year. Heck.....I'll try most anything.

• SciAggie
    @northGAcock It looks cool for sure.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • steelcity314
    steelcity314 Posts: 91
    edited April 2017
    I stumbled upon a great nursery last year that you can order online from, if you are not in the NJ area to stop in. I have no associations with Cross Country Nurseries, just a very happy customer. I recommend checking out their website:
    http://www.ChilePlants.com
    Good luck to all this season, I'll be planting in a week or two. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Picked our first tomatoes this weekend. Only three (two orange, one red), but man those plants are growing quickly.

I have two more beds to finish building, so we'll end up with two end to end seasons this year.
  • northGAcock

• SciAggie
    @northGAcock Thanks for the link!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    I planted last Thursday my first crops. 5 variety of tomatoes, yellow peppers, jalapeños, onions, sweet spuds, zucchini, okra, and broccoli. Soon as my garden dries out from the 4+ inches of rain I got this weekend I will hit it with some corn, beans and cucumbers. 

At at least I have good help.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    My stuff is in the greenhouse, but it's slow going this year with cool spring weather. We had frost on the ground this morning! Hope it warms up soon.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Have my lettuce and spinach planted.
    Will be planting beans shortly.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Does anyone keep bees? 
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • I have an Aquaponics greenhouse.

We have tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, cucumbers…     

• Gulfcoastguy
    Right after  six inches of rain yesterday. The onions on the far left are about ready to pull. One more row of sweet potatoes to plant.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Oh the bottom one is one of many blueberry bushes.
  • BbqCamel
    BbqCamel Posts: 17

The garden patch is starting off welll.  That's if we can keep the 7.5 inch rains to a minimum. Pushing to get things canned and frozen before winter comes around. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Got my beds planted last Friday..

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looking good @JohnnyTarheel. You can snap off those lower branches of the tomatoes. Little better airflow and leaves won't touch soil so less likely for disease. I usually prune mine almost up to the first set of blooms. Less foliage for the plant to try to out energy into as well
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    BbqCamel said:

The garden patch is starting off welll.  That's if we can keep the 7.5 inch rains to a minimum. Pushing to get things canned and frozen before winter comes around. 
    That's a farm!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    still a little too cold at night but most of the garden is in this last weekend. gonna plant an upsideown tomato bucket this weekend, 1 on top with yellow cherries, 2 on bottom with 100's. any tips, 3 plants too much
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    Well I might as well jump in on this topic. 5 tomato plants of different types. Cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli sweet taters, corn, onions, peppers. Also blue berries are coming on quickly.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    edited June 2017
    After almost 10 years of frequent business moves we're really happy to be settled and have a garden again!   Put the last things in over the weekend along with the planters in the front. Garlic went in in December, been eating spinach and lettuce since late April. 4 type stuff of tomatoes including an heirloom, peppers, cakes, zucchini, peas, kale, and trying on Brussels sprout plant. perennial herbs went in near the egg:

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    And roses my wife wanted surprised me!

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    My wife let the toddler play with "magic beans" in the yard. So now we have black beans. Does this count?  =)

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    The bounty has started.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"