Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty question - New in box and unregistered

Options
Found someone that is selling a mini max new in box that has not been reigstered with BGE yet. In this case, couldn't whoever buys it (possibly me) register it and get the warranty?

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    You'll probably need a bill of sale for warranty claims. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    It is not an issue. Just register it and check gift. I got mine as a gift and have no receipt and I was assured by the mothership that it is not a problem.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Chances are the person selling it did not purchase it and it was: a prize from a raffle/sweepstakes, a gift, or was stolen.  

• sanjose_smoker
    Options
    Is there a way to find out if a BGE has been registered already before buying it? I had similar situation, where seller claimed the BGE was a gift and had not been registered. But how do you know? 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I had the same opportunity. Before I pulled the trigger It was suggested to contact Bruce at the mothership. He told me no receipt no warranty. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Not many people keep receipts for 20 years...?
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I have 2 different friends who have "raffle" eggs. Both have warranty. One was the original winner and the other purchased the egg from someone who won it. So what he (Bruce) is saying is if you win a egg that was purchased at full price it does not have a warranty unless the charity/fundraiser provides the winner with a receipt? That sounds like a bunch of BS. 
    Snellville, GA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We just (in part) donated an Egg to a charity raffle......winner will not have their name on the receipt, but they'll have a warranty.  They'll just have to go online to register the thing and check promotion/contest or charity.  They don't have to have a receipt.  The warranty just says you cannot buy it from an "unauthorized reseller".  A charity or promotion is not a "reseller".

BTW, doesn't say anything about "full price" either.  This one went at cost as we're footing half the bill for it.  So the charity only got a invoice for half an egg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Straightlabs- I have no issues with receipts over time.  If you have a good filing/recall system once you land it, it is there.  And that process has included several household moves.  YMMV- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks for the calirification @stlcharcoal. It just didn't seem right to not warranty a new egg still in the box. Best bet is to just register it and save all the questions.
    Snellville, GA

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I put my receipts way and I photographed them with my phone
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    +1 - name the file properly and put in a folder with other receipt pictures. Much easier to find than a paper receipt in a folder.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    +1 - name the file properly and put in a folder with other receipt pictures. Much easier to find than a paper receipt in a folder.
    And back it up someplace.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - Jonathan, understanding what you said, does it mean that any egg can be registered as a "charity" or "promotional" item? Seems to me there might be folks who even when buying from an unauthorized dealer, would just register as a gift/charity item...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - Jonathan, understanding what you said, does it mean that any egg can be registered as a "charity" or "promotional" item? Seems to me there might be folks who even when buying from an unauthorized dealer, would just register as a gift/charity item...
    IIRC, when you register as charity/raffle, you have to identify the charity/raffle that you won it in.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

At some point it's going to get verified or traced back to the dealer.  First indication, when they ask "which charity" or "what contest", and the person goes "uhhhhhhh".  Next if the charity/contest or no idea about it.  Or if the distributor emails the dealership group and asks "who gave/sold an Egg for this" and no one replies that they did.  If it doesn't pass the smell test, it's going to get denied.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    why register if you need to keep the receipt. never understood that. bge apparently does not understand the registered warranty concept =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sanjose_smoker
    Options
    This is the scenario: A seller claims his brand new BGE was gifted to him, he has no receipt and does not know which dealer it was bought from. It is reasonable to assume the BGE was not registered and you, the buyer will be able to register the BGE number and be covered by full warranty which affects the BGE sale price! But, how do you check if this BGE has been registered before buying it? Is there a way to check a BGE registration? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    This is the scenario: A seller claims his brand new BGE was gifted to him, he has no receipt and does not know which dealer it was bought from. It is reasonable to assume the BGE was not registered and you, the buyer will be able to register the BGE number and be covered by full warranty which affects the BGE sale price! But, how do you check if this BGE has been registered before buying it? Is there a way to check a BGE registration? 
    i do not believe anyone checks it, bge, the distributor, the dealer. you need the receipt. im not sure what the registration form does, bge doesnt even use the for to solicit sales thru emails. the whole process makes no sense
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    My eggs were not serialized.  They look to have a date code or lot id of some sort.  Not really sure how BGE manages their paperwork.

I never worried while near my dealer, but now I'm 1500 miles away.  Glad I have receipts.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin