Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron skillet spatchcock

Tried this one from Americas test kitchen current season and did on egg instead of oven.  Came apart when I flipped it.  Finished with olive oil garlic and Rosemary.  Was very good

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've had spatch'd birds fall apart often. Don't recall ever doing a skillet bird. Yours looks terrific though! Love the color!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Great idea wit the cast iron. I've gotten to where I don't flip my spatchcocked chickens. I cook them skin side up and just go with that. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2017
    That looks great....but somehow I don't think I should like it at all. :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Nice cook. I really want to incorporate CI into more of my cooking. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks good. Did you start skin side down?  I've done these numerous times in CI but, I don't typically flip it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    The recipe is available on America's Test Kitchen site for free as it was in current season's show.  You heat the skillet to 500 degrees, and start skin side down for 30 minutes at 450 degrees,  You then flip to skin up, and add seasonings on top after flip (did have S&P early on pre cook and some olive oil on skin side to start).  They said the flip is because skin will get soggy in the renderings if leave skin side down the whole cook.  Also, this will keep the garlic and rosemary from getting seared/burned.

• Carolina Q
    I haven't watched ATK in a while. Not since Kimball got dumped. Just watched the video for this recipe and see that it's the same, except Bridget is now the one standing there doing nothing while having things explained to her. And saying "Yum!" at the end. =)

At least she wasn't wearing a bow tie! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I haven't watched ATK in a while. Not since Kimball got dumped. Just watched the video for this recipe and see that it's the same, except Bridget is now the one standing there doing nothing while having things explained to her. And saying "Yum!" at the end. =)

It's a trainwreck without the conductor in the bow tie.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Focker said:

So... nothing changed then. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Focker said:

So... nothing changed then. ;)
    Lmao
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited May 2017
    Too funny.  Bottom line for me is their recipes, along with Cooks Illustrated site, do seem to be well tested and usually come out very good.  Their biggest screw up was the time they tested charcoal grills and the Egg did not win--they did not know how to use it.  But as noted, their recipes and show do inspire me to try some different things on the Egg lots of times.  I use their shrimp and grits recipe and moved to cast iron skillet from regular skillet and cook it at eggfests.