Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! with butt cook for 20 pp

Options
Eggin-smurff
Eggin-smurff Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, my wife has ageed to a pulled pork sandwich luncheon for 20 people on Monday. Although I've sucessfully done a single butt before, she is preparing 4 each 8.5 lb butts! I plan for a Sunday evening start to the cook, indirect with Plate Setter, drip pan,
Maverick, et al.[p]Questions still arise:[p]Is 4 each 8.5 lb butts too much? Should I cook 3? Maybe 2? ...considering the pork is the main food but we have other food available?[p]Will the Large BGE hold 4?[p]What temperature concerns should I have for a 2pm delivery of meat?[p][p]

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]3 8.5lb butts should be plenty.[p]Take advantage of the fact that wrapping your fully cooked butts in foil and towels in a cooler will actually help them, even up to 4-5 hours no problem. Since you really never know how long each butt-cook will take, start early and wrap and hold.[p]Good luck,
    Smitty[p]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SMITTYtheSMOKER, You should be able to put 4 on you large egg. I agee I would start early and then cover with foil and put in a cooler. I have held butts in a cooler for 8 hours before. This will allow your meat to rest so it will retain your moisture. I would smoke at 200 - 225 degrees. Good luck

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    The Naked Whiz has provided some interesting data on the quantity of meat needed, but I could not find the link. As I recall it goes like this.[p]Loss from cooking figure 40%.[p]Average portion is 4 oz per person, figuring 2 portions for men and one for women. If you are 50/50 men and women, that works out to 6 oz per person. Using 4 X 8.5 X 60% meat after cookin X 16 oz/lb = 326 ounces or enough for 50 people plus snacks for the cook and those pulling the pork.[p]The good news is it freezes well![p]Good luck

• EddieMac
    Options
    Depends on who you're cooking for....Girl Scouts or Pipefitters..lol....3 Butts should suffice....But 4 is better cause pulled pork always tastes better the second and third day to me....And the large handles 4 Butts....And Butts are cheap![p]Standard operating procedure.....Cooking indirect....You can easily Egg those Butts at 250 - 275 with no problems whatsoever....Butts are tough to mess up so no pressure...Make sure you have plenty of lump in the box and you're in for 16 hours or so......[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• SeeRockCity
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]I've done three on a rib rack before and it worked fine. The more airflow you have around each butt, the closer the times will be for a single butt, you're just multi-tasking. The more the meat touches, the more you start upping the cooking time.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]those 4 butss will fit using a grid extender. You willhave alot left over, but it freezes very well. The only thing I would add to all the above is make sure you wait until 195-200 internal before removing it from the egg.[p]Woody