Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket - Strange temp change

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello
Another Canadian Egg joins the club. Toronto, Ontario, Canada[p]I have had large Egg for 3 weeks. Successful pulled pork, steaks, burgers, chicken.
Started 11.5 pound packer brisket at 12:15 am, arranged (like Elder Ward) lump up to top of fire ring, electric starter, platesetter, mesquite chunk (1) and cherry chips right before Elder Ward rub (3 hours) brisket was put on. Stabilized temp at 225 before wood chips and meat. Metal Slide vent open about 1/8 of an inch and daisy wheel small holes about the same, even slightly less. Using Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer. I calibrated the BGE dome and Maverick as per Naked Whiz website amd both are spot on. [p]Maverick thermometer a little dissapointing w.r.t. range from transmitter to receiver as it will not send to my basement or bedroom so I got up a few times to check. All was great through night but at about 7am the temp as measured by grill clip probe broker through 245. I closed the daisy wheel completely and the slider event to 1/16. Then the temp climbed to 270 !! Meat is about 165. Opened lid to see if (first time since start...pretty good for a newbie I thought !) anything strange. No strong fire that I could see so I pulled thermometers and calibrated again. Still accurate. [p]Replaced both thermometers in different spots and now temp is 165 /232. I have been grinding through the archives (which are an amazing resource and part of the reason I finally pulled the trigger on an Egg). So I recognize that thermometer placement can change the reading but I was surprised by the range. [p]I am guessing that the back of the Egg has developed a hot spot and in long cooks that would be difficult to predict. We are getting some wind from Ernesto remnants so I moved to a more protected area in case wind was causing some noise but the temp did keep rising. [p]Overall I think I am in good shape although I hope it is ready for guests at 5ish tonight. Foil, towels and cooler are ready to go. [p]Any thoughts or is this mostly first time jitters?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    EggEd,[p]Things are FINE, just first time jitters. Those temps are completely what I would expect cooking at those temps. That brisket will sit at the 160-165 range for a good long time now while it breaks down the meat. I would expect that brisket to take about 15-18 hours total to cook, run it to about 190 or so, test for tenderness if you think its done earlier than that. Good luck, sounds like the first cook is going just fine. The temp variations you are seeing are completely normal. Dont let them bother you.[p]Troy
  • EddieMac
    Options
    Sounds like everything is going pretty well for you....If you think you have a hot spot...and that can happen...simply rotate the meat around for some southern exposure.....[p]The BGE is a very forgiving apparatus.....225 can be tough to maintain....and you're fine at 250 - 275.....but not hotter than that....But sounds like you're doing fine....[p]Have Fun![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• sprinter,[p]I cooked an 11# packer last night as well. Put it on at 6:15 pm, kept the dome at 240, and thought it would take around 15 to 18 hours or so, and would have it for lunch today. I awoke at 6:00 am, and the meat was sitting at 197 internal. [p]I guess the lesson is: every cook is unique![p]Enjoy your dinner tonight.
  • Pulled it and went in cooler at 193 internal and 12.5 hours
    Ate at about 5:30 at 156 internal. I left maverick thermometer in while in cooler and it cut into nice slices. I might have done better pulling earlier OR cutting flat off and leaving the point. Nice and tender and friends reviews were solid. Some ate alone. Some put on bun with sauce and beans. The Elder Ward bean recipe is definitely a keeper. My wife liked my first pulled pork better. Smoke flavour was less than expected but overall quite pleased. Thanks for the support. The kids wanted hamburgers and hot dogs and re-starting the egg a matter of opening the vents. [p]Very happy with the egg and at least one gas convert after tonight. [p]Cheers
    Ed