Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody Else Up Early To Cook?

JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the brisket is on and it's a good looking Saturday here in SC. Ernesto passed us by without much fanfare (sorry NC and VA)and the weekend has started well. I hope everyone has a happy and safe Labor Day weekend!!!!![p]All the best,
Jim

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    JSlot,[p]Well, good morning to you! I'm not cooking yet, but I've got a couple of sausage rolls that will be fatties for brunch. Best on that brisket.[p]gdenby

• JSlot
    A hearty good mornin' to you as well, gd. I'm going to add a couple fatties later on in the day. I made one last week with hot italian sausage and I took inspiration from a post (can't remember whose) and stuffed it with fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes and mozarella. It was OUTSTANDING! Hope yours turn out as well. Have a great weekend![p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    I'm up, but right now all I'm thinking about is coffee, Hmm, maybe I can use it in a rub.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    JSlot,[p]With my son coming in to visit for the Holiday, I started my brisket at 6:00 am. [p]K~G

• JSlot, I wish I could stay home and cook today! But I work for a grill shop here in Nashville so I hope to unite someone with there 1st egg, I am bringing home XL Egg to go with my Med Egg. Good luck with your Brisket. I will cook Sunday and Monday.

• JSlot,
    Yes sir a great weekend for cooking. I just mixed up a batch of Dr BBQ's brisket rub.
    It's raining like mad in northern MD. We're having our party tomorrow. Good luck to all you guys! ~Jason

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    JSlot, I have been up since 4am pst, but I couldnt sleep, too hot, just cleaning the computer room, kinda hard when evrybody else is sleeping. Dont know what to cook today much less this weekend

• JSlot,
    and may I add myself to the list.
    Put a 11.66 lb cyovack one from Walmart(Sams didnt have any)around 10 pm last night. Woke up three times to check, and my new tel-true claimed a perfect 250 dome temp throughout the night and this morning. Either I trimmed too much fat off, or my tel-true isn't truthful as in some parts of this meat was 217(from the ever reliable thermopen) after only 9 hrs.
    Hmmm 217....will this be any good for my guests? Or should I concentrate more on the pork spares and wings.
    SInce this was planned outside I have to entertain inside, so off to Walmart to get folding chairs...
    ST

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    JSlot,[p]No brisket here. Will be a low-key weekend which I could really use. Although all this brisket talk has REALLLLY got me in the mood for maybe a small one. Might stop by Costco and pick one up tomorrow and cook it for Monday. Yes, yes, I'm convinced. I've given into peer pressure. I MUST HAVE A BRISKET.[p]mShark
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Smokin' Todd,
    I am going for a grand slam -- 4 things fixed on the Egg.[p]We are having some friends over for dinner, for their first taste of food from a BGE. I was having a hard time deciding what to cook, so decided to go with a 3 different kabobs to provide a taste test. I am going with chicken fixed according to the DP, ginger, lime recipe, Kentucky Bourbon pork (recipe listed on this forum) and pieces of NY strip with a coffee rub (recipe from mollyshark). The sides are going to be baked sweet potatoes, following Dr. BBQ's recipe and sauteed green beans with a garlic butter sauce, originally from Paul Kirk (I got it from RetiredRailroader). Will top that off with a spinach salad and a yet to be determined desert. [p]If you happen to be in the area (Tampico, Mexico) give me a call, 'cause I am sure we will have enough to go around. LOL [p]I hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    JSlot,[p]Didnt think to check the forum this am, was up early with you. Put on 2 butts about 5am and getting ready to thorw on a 22 pound fresh ham thats been marinading for 3 days. Looking forward to sampling that one.[p]Troy
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    JSlot,[p]Today is rib tips. Last night I vertically roasted three chickens. Tomorrow afternoon the brisket and pork butt go on for a labor day picnic. [p]I had to use the ice cream maker to make the ice cream but it is defintely a BGE weekend.[p]
    John

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    JSlot,
    Got some Cuban style mojo pork marinating. Will put it on around noon. Happy Memorial Day weekend to you!
    Cheers, Bob

• BobS,
    yeah Im going with three things fixed on the egg, but not sure if this high internal temp brisket will be any good.
    ST

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    JSlot,
    No cooking here this morning Jim I will just be doing yard work.I might cook some ribs and a brisket monday.
    Larry

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    JSlot,[p]Batch of Cat's ribs yesterday. Some really good leftovers today.[p]Spin
  • JSlot,
    No cooking until later. Brisket goes on Sunday am.[p]Mike

• JSlot,[p]Going to fire the Egg up about 10-10:30 for four racks of ribs. About 10 lbs total. Doing 3.1.1. method with apple wood to smoke. Then I will fire up a big stogie and watch the I - Hawks play to pass the time. Kind of my in game tailgate. Tomorrow going to do my first butt, so will be up around 6am or so.
  • JSlot
    Morning, KG!!! I tried to call you last week. No answer and I didn't leave a message. Give me ring when you get a chance.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    You'll love that XL! Have a great weekend![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    LOL. It's terrible to have to cave in to all the pressure, but sometimes ya' just gotta do it. It'll be good to finally meet ya' in Hotlanta this year. Take care![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Send or post some details on how you did the ham, Troy. I've been wanting to try one for some time. I've just done fresh hams for pulled pork.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Sounds like a plan, Larry. I'll be painting, cutting grass and other chores, all while cooking a brisket. Gotta love multi-tasking! Tell Kaye and Jenny howdy for us![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Good to see you back posting, Ed!! Hope you and Sue are pretty well mended and I look forward to seeing you guys soon.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    I've settled on beef spare ribs rubbed real good with some southwest style seasoning indirect and over a drip pan using the Stoker to control dome at 250. This is a first for me. I usually cook baby backs or pork spare ribs. I'm thinking I'm going to slather some of that bbq sauce I smuggled back from NC at the end and brown them up a bit.[p]Sound Good?

• sprinter
    JSlot,[p]Interesting story about the fresh ham recipe, at least this one that I'm cooking today. I have some friends that the wife and get together with about every 2 months. We pick a theme and all cook a course based on the theme, then get together and have a fun evening. Have been doing it for about 8 years now and still have a blast every time. Anyway, we all subscribe to a magazine, Cooking Pleasures, and they were asking for subscribers to submit their stories about their cooking clubs, so I submitted our club, and they ended up doing a feature article on us. Sent a photographer from MN, we are in IL, and he spent the afternoon with us while we cooked, interviewed us etc. It was a blast. They even developed with us a whole menu to cook, and a fresh ham was the main course. Being in the midwest it was a real country theme, grilled sweet corn, corn salad, vegetable salad etc. They developed the recipes specifically for/with us, it was a BLAST. Long story short, thats where I got the recipe from, its a recipe developed specifically for us then published in the magazine with our article. I'll get information on it and post it, its pretty good. If I can find a link to the article I'll get it here.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Here's the recipe. I use a whole fresh ham and usually triple the marinade recipe and it works just fine. A whole fresh ham is typically about 23-25 pounds. I cut the shank off and it fits in my medium just fine. Even smoke the shanks with it and make soup later. Enjoy.[p]==============================================[p]Beer Marinated Barbecued Pork with Maple-Mustard Sauce[p]
    This recipe uses a fresh ham, a ham that is not smoked. For optimum taste, marinate the meat a full 24 hours in the beer mixture. The marinade is later cooked and used as the base for a flavorful barbecue sauce enriched with pure maple syrup and Dijon mustard. For a real treat, serve slices of pork and sauce on onion rolls.[p]1 (8-lb.) bone-in half fresh ham (not smoked)*
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
    1 cup pure maple syrup, divided
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 1/4 cups beer, preferably flat
    2 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
    3/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt[p]1. Pat meat dry using paper towels; place in 2-gallon resealable plastic freezer bag or large container. In blender, combine onion, 1/3 cup of the maple syrup and vinegar; blend until smooth. Stir in beer and pepper. Pour marinade over meat in bag. Seal bag; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight, turning at least once.[p]2. Place drip pan in center of grill or fold up sides of piece of foil and place in grill to catch drippings. For gas grill, turn on only one side to medium-low heat. For charcoal grill, arrange coals around outside edge of grill, leaving center clear; heat to medium-low.[p]3. Remove ham from marinade, reserving marinade. Place ham on unheated side of gas grill or in center of charcoal grill; cover grill. Grill 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until skin is mahogany-brown, meat is tender and internal temperature reaches 160°F. to 165°F., turning every half hour. If using charcoal grill, add about 10 coals to each side of drip pan every hour to maintain heat.[p]4. Meanwhile, prepare sauce. Strain beer marinade into medium saucepan; discard solids. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; skim off foam and particles as they rise to surface. Boil 5 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Whisk in remaining 2/3 cup maple syrup and mustard. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced to 2 1/4 cups. Stir in salt. Remove from heat; serve warm or at room temperature.[p]5. Place pork on cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Carve into slices. (If desired, place covered pork in 200°F. oven until ready to carve.) Serve with sauce.[p]TIP *If you'd like to use a smaller cut of meat, ask your butcher for an arm cut. This piece of meat is located by the shoulder and is connected to the hock; it is often called the fore shank. It is 4 to 5 pounds.[p]

• JSlot
    Sounds most excellente. I picked up some flanken cut beef ribs at Sam's today. That will be Monday's cook. Tell us how the sauce worked at the end of your cook today.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Thanks, Troy!!! That sounds great.[p]Jim
  • beefribs001.jpg
    <p />JSlot,
    Here is a "before picture"