Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looks like a few things have changed around here!!

Options
However, has anyone noticed a difference in RO? I used to be able to cook, what seemed like forever on a bag, I just blew through 2 bags. RO isn't readily available here. So what's #2? For the RO fans obviously. 
Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I've only been kamado cooking for a short time. Originally i thought royal oak is where it's at, especially since BGE brand lump is so expensive. But now that I'm in my 5th or 6th bag of RO, I've discovered that only about half the bag is desirable sized lump.
    I may have to pull the trigger on BGE lump just to see what I might be missing.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Rockwood is the lump of choice around here. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     Order bags of Rockwood from firecraft.com Is what a lot of us do 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    What I noticed is the price at the Depot went down but so did the weight at least here on the west  coast. The charcoal itself seems the same to me. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've only been kamado cooking for a short time. Originally i thought royal oak is where it's at, especially since BGE brand lump is so expensive. But now that I'm in my 5th or 6th bag of RO, I've discovered that only about half the bag is desirable sized lump.
    I may have to pull the trigger on BGE lump just to see what I might be missing.
    BGE is private lable RO. Save your $$
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Ace Hardware often carries Rockwood. They used to carry Wicked but I haven't seen it in a while . 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Rockwood is available in several places in Alabama. 

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    So Rockwood is the resounding choice?? Obviously. Thanks fellow eggheads. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I guess it varies by location but Royal Oak is good stuff in my hood. It's what I use most of the time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    HEB has Central Market lump in oak and mesquite. I have yet to try the mesquite, but the oak works fine. 
    Gittin' there...
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    HEB has Central Market lump in oak and mesquite. I have yet to try the mesquite, but the oak works fine. 
    I use the Mesquite all the time.  Rotate between RO (when on sale) and the Central Market Lumps- dang good price by the pound.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I love my royal oak from Home Depot. Burns nice, smoke clears quickly and a good price.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Rockwood is my favorite so far, but I picked up 2 bags of Kamado Joe lump for $25 at Costco and for being half the cost of Rockwood it's pretty dang nice.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    Rockwood is my favorite so far, but I picked up 2 bags of Kamado Joe lump for $25 at Costco and for being half the cost of Rockwood it's pretty dang nice.
    I do the same when Costco has them and couldn't be happier with the results.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I was a royal oak only user till my first bag of Rockwood. Havent looked back since. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I use the Mesquite all the time.  Rotate between RO (when on sale) and the Central Market Lumps- dang good price by the pound.

Do you use the mesquite on everything? 
    Gittin' there...