Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Science is Awesome!

Options
So glad there are people in this world smarter that me.
This discovery could be one that ultimately saves us from ourselves.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-04/uocf-siw042517.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTuwe2SruA&feature=youtu.be

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Finding synthetic structures that will allow MOFS to absorb all wavelengths of light may be cost prohibitive, but this type of environmental engineering will be worth every penny. I wonder what they will use as CO2 scrubbers? Cost Prohibitive?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    But did the professor ever get them off the island?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    But did the professor ever get them off the island?
    No, he just kept everyone alive.  Dude was obviously a failure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    edited April 2017
    Options

We have been making stuff put off that blue glow for years in the Nuke Power industry ... wouldn't get as close as that dude in the video gets but hey to each their own I always say.    Plus almost nonexistent carbon foot print for you tree huggers out there.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Actually I take it back.  I'd forgotten this, but the Professor was the one who ended up stitching the huts together into a makeshift raft which took them off the island in the last episode.
  • PirateBill
    Options
    Actually I take it back.  I'd forgotten this, but the Professor was the one who ended up stitching the huts together into a makeshift raft which took them off the island in the last episode.
    Oh yea! one would think that would be one of the first things that the prof would think of instead of coconut telephones.

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh yea! one would think that would be one of the first things that the prof would think of instead of coconut telephones.
    It's Gilligan's Island man, not MacGyver.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Nerds missed the point of the show....hint it's the one in the short skirt.

WRONG

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We did not get to discuss the relative merits of Ginger and Mary Ann at the Butt Blast.  I guess we'll just have to hold the event again next year!
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    I always wondered where the professor got all of his borosilicate glass.  Did he just happen to take it all with him on a 3 hour cruise? 

• JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I always wondered where the professor got all of his borosilicate glass.  Did he just happen to take it all with him on a 3 hour cruise? 

Written like a true brewmaster!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    We did not get to discuss the relative merits of Ginger and Mary Ann at the Butt Blast.  I guess we'll just have to hold the event again next year!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    nolabrew said:

Isn't glass made of sand?  Easy peasy. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I absolutely love the fluidity of threads on this site.  One never knows.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Science is great until it's being manipulated to redirect trillions of dollars to the BS notion that we can change the climate.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I can't tell if this is Dawn Wells aka Mary Ann or the Senior Senator from Massachusetts aka Pocahontas
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    ginger or mary ann =)
    Image result for Tina Louise

Photo Courtesy of Dawn Wells
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Science is great until it's being manipulated to redirect trillions of dollars to the BS notion that we can change the climate.
    We've already changed it.

I'm also not sure who is manipulating things here.  While overall science budgets are set by Congress (to the tune of billions btw - you're off by a couple of zeros there), individual science grants are largely decided by... scientists.

Obama really didn't have a lot of say in deciding which scientists and projects received what grants and funds. Neither will Trump, thank the FSM.

In fact the latest round of PECASE winners, while nominally determined under Obama, will actually receive their awards from Trump in person.  Y'all have been seriously misinformed over the years.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Removing greenhouse gasses from the atmosphere while producing usable energy in the process WILL, in fact, change the climate.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If you don't think human activity can change the climate, you're basically saying that CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas.  

I don't know when we became so skeptical of expert opinion as a society.  There was a lot of concern over the ozone some time ago, and so we decided to systematically phase out CFCs.  That was implemented as policy, and it's been pretty effective.  So there you have an example where anthropogenic effects were negatively impacting the Earth, we decided to make a change to fix it, and things got better.  Why is that so hard?  
  • PirateBill
    Options

@JohnInCarolina I usually stay out of these discussions and I might be missing the mark on my comment but here goes PIRATE IS COMING IN FROM LEFT FIELD:

It isn't that removing Co from the atmosphere is not needed (I believe making the air cleaner is a great idea) it is the implementation of a plan to do it, Co as you know is produced by incomplete combustion and burning of fossil fuels. If we got rid of fossil fuels right now we would be essentially driving ourselves back to the stone age. The only source of power that is even feasible is Nuclear as a replacement for coal, we are about 40 years away form a decent Nuke infrastructure and that just hits on one small part, think of transportation and all the materials that use petroleum as a backbone ... like I said I like the idea of a cleaner environment but over the years we as a society have really backed ourselves into the preverbal corner.

Plus Propane burns cleaner and is more efficient ... do you really want to scrap your egg for the environment? think of all the tasty eats and drunk deck/porch visits man!   

- Calico Jack Rackham

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited April 2017
    Options
    but mcd's quarter pounders were sold in these before the ozone scare, back when they were good, cardboard packaging ruined the quarter pounder =) sad sad day

Image result for sweetheart plastics quarter pounder packages styrofoam

wasnt part of the ozone scare that we were losing heat in the climate =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @PirateBill - actually I think there are many folks who don't believe it's a problem, period.  The goal isn't to remove CO2 (not CO) from the atmosphere completely, but rather to prevent its concentration from becoming too high.

We need a plan to get there and nobody said that's easy to put in place.  But what's the alternative?  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    F-science, I have CO monitors all over my house and I can't find any at all.
  • GATraveller
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For some reason these seem relevant (one of the funniest shows ever):

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • PirateBill
    Options
    @PirateBill - actually I think there are many folks who don't believe it's a problem, period.  The goal isn't to remove CO2 (not CO) from the atmosphere completely, but rather to prevent its concentration from becoming too high.

We need a plan to get there and nobody said that's easy to put in place.  But what's the alternative?  

Dang spell check got me on CO2-CO

I understand and I am actually one of the folks that think CO2 thing is being blown out of proportion a bit, that being said I am also all about removing it from the atmosphere. We as a country just really have no good way to do it quickly it will take generations to wipe out CO2 and in other countries much longer. 

- Calico Jack Rackham

• PirateBill
    Options
    I will now go back to my commenting about microwave supremacy and tire fires.  

- Calico Jack Rackham

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just to be clear, if we removed CO2 from the atmosphere completely, we'd have a serious problem.