Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoWorks vs LavaTools

Options
2»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:
    odie91 said:
    blasting said:

Worth mentioning possibly, is the thermopop.

This one just arrived.  In a head to head test with the pen, it was almost identical.

Meaning it was just as fast?
    About a second different.  In the lit, the refer to it as a 3 second read.
    I know the POP is a fairly new product. But they are already selling one as "new and faster". Do you have the new POP?
    All of mine are the first Gen and still pretty damn fast.
    I don't find it necessary to get my reading super exact until it gets very close to my desired temp. If I stick the POP into a brisket and it starts displaying temps and changing rapidly and then slows as it nears the actual temp. That is normally close enough. I don't need to get exact if it starts slowing at 170 for example. Same holds true for my Thermapens. For the money, the POPs are great deal.

Yeah - that one is brand new.  Extremely impressed.  If the thermopen would crap out, I probably would replace with a pop.  This pop went back up to Canada this week with my pop.
    Phoenix 
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    edited March 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

Yeah - that one is brand new.  Extremely impressed.  If the thermopen would crap out, I probably would replace with a pop.  This pop went back up to Canada this week with my pop.

I see what you did there

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks all - I am now $40.96 poorer...but infinitely better off.  Proud user of a Thermapen but happy to add a Carbon Lite to my arsenal.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Thanks all - I am now $40.96 poorer...but infinitely better off.  Proud user of a Thermapen but happy to add a Carbon Lite to my arsenal.
    Let us know how well the Carbon Lite works out for you. Curious minds all.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a MK4 that I bought last week.
    It's an amazing tool. I've always had digital thermometer's in the kitchen, various commercial kitchen models....none even come close to the 
    MK4 in ease of use or fast response times.
    It may not make be a better cook than the other thermometer's I have owned, but I sure enjoy having it in the kitchen. I find myself using it more often because is so fast to take a reading.
    If it proves to be durable and long lasting it will be one of my best purchases that I have made.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I don't own a Pop, though I probably would if they had been available when I bought my T-pen. What I don't like though, is the fact that it's in two pieces, the pop and the sheath for the probe. Seems like something just begging to be lost forever. And if you lose it, you sure don't want to put the Pop in your pocket! =)

For a little bit more, I think I'd rather have the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo.
    I don't disagree with your logic and yes to the JP. But 2 of my problems with T-pens have been related to unit not displaying when probe is swiveled out.
    No moving parts to activate the POP. But my 2 Javelins with pivoting probes have been solid so far, knock on wood.
    Yeah, my T-pen does that sometimes too. Haven't contacted them yet though. Did they repair yours? Send you a new one? Or tell you how to fix it? Was there a charge? I know mine's out of warranty. If you've already answered somewhere, my apologies.
    No, I have not contacted them about these issues.
    It is getting worse on one and spuratic on a second. They repaired a 1st gen model a few years ago that had a battery spring contact break at no cost. It was out of warranty.
    Also replaced a probe on a DOT at no charge.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Gen 1 TP, 15 years old, still going strong, a Gen 2 TP, a Chef Alarm, and Timestick.  ZERO issues, 5 stars on all products.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Focker said:
    Gen 1 TP, 15 years old, still going strong, a Gen 2 TP, a Chef Alarm, and Timestick.  ZERO issues, 5 stars on all products.
    Except for the battery contact spring steel piece breaking my gen 1 is still going strong.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi folks, a friend of mine recently alerted me to this thread. It's awesome to hear some of you guys using the Javelin and Javelin PRO! If you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Lavatools said:
    Hi folks, a friend of mine recently alerted me to this thread. It's awesome to hear some of you guys using the Javelin and Javelin PRO! If you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
    Have 2 of your Javelin Pro models. So far they have been great...
    On this forum, we know Thermoworks customer service has been awesome.
    Glad to see you post and welcome. Hope to never need your customer service.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I bought a couple of Javelin Pros when this thread started. (one for me and one for a gift) I have come to like it more than my original Thermapens. The probe opens much easier, I really like the display, and the wake feature is also nice as I typically neglect to close the probe after a reading. My buddy really likes the magnet too as he uses a Traeger and simply sticks it to the pellet hopper.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey @Lavatools if you would like me to test out some products just let me know, unlike most of the guys on this forum I have successfully boiled water. :)

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "That said a fundamental characteristic of this forum is the ability to make it easy to part with your $$ and acquire things you certainly didn't have any clue you needed."

No $hit. The least expensive aspect of owning a BGE, is the initial purchase. 

'Cap nailed it.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I had a Lava works that worked well and I used it several times a week for grilling and smoking.  I had it for about a year until it died recently.  I replaced it a couple ofriends weeks ago with a Thermopen Classic.  I bought my Thermopen on a Saturday, the following Monday they went on sale for $59.  I called the company and they adjusted the price immediately and without question.  Good CS always wins me over.  Been happy with the Thermopen so far.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I had a Lava works that worked well and I used it several times a week for grilling and smoking.  I had it for about a year until it died recently.  I replaced it a couple ofriends weeks ago with a Thermopen Classic.  I bought my Thermopen on a Saturday, the following Monday they went on sale for $59.  I called the company and they adjusted the price immediately and without question.  Good CS always wins me over.  Been happy with the Thermopen so far.
    Why didn't you just contact Lavatools and have them send you a replacement????????
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Why didn't you just contact Lavatools and have them send you a replacement????????
    Lava Tools does have a 3 year warranty. I emailed them asking about their warranty before I purchased as I gave one away as a gift and wanted to know how they would take care of my buddy if he had problems. They said "all he has to do is get in contact with us."

Have you tried replacing the battery?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I own a Thermopop and a Thermopen.  They both function fast and all Pops are backlit.

I prefer then Pen over the Pop from an ergonomics standpoint.  To me it is with the extra dinero.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    HeavyG said:
    Lava Tools does have a 3 year warranty. I emailed them asking about their warranty before I purchased as I gave one away as a gift and wanted to know how they would take care of my buddy if he had problems. They said "all he has to do is get in contact with us."

Have you tried replacing the battery?
    I had a year old LavaTools Thermowand (that was what they were called before they had to change the name to Javelin) that just wouldn't startup one day. Replaced the battery. No joy.

I emailed them and got a reply in a couple of days suggesting a couple of things. Tried those. No joy.

They then sent a replacement and and a return label to send the dead one back to them.

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    I personally have a LavaTools thermometer, not the carbon lite, I got it for about half the price of the Thermoworks and It works great. never have had a single problem with it. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TBH @HeavyG, it didn't occur to me look into the thermometer being under warranty.  I got it on Amazon for about $25, had it over a year and just figured it has reached the end of its service life.  I did try new batteries.  I have replaced them at least once, maybe 2x since getting it and tried that again before ordering the Thermapen Classic.  

You raise a good point though, contacting the manufacturer doesn't cost me anything and might save $$.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    edited April 2017
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I bought a couple of Javelin Pros when this thread started. (one for me and one for a gift) I have come to like it more than my original Thermapens. The probe opens much easier, I really like the display, and the wake feature is also nice as I typically neglect to close the probe after a reading. My buddy really likes the magnet too as he uses a Traeger and simply sticks it to the pellet hopper.
    Awesome! The magnet is my favorite feature, mine's is always attached to my grill.

Hey @Lavatools if you would like me to test out some products just let me know, unlike most of the guys on this forum I have successfully boiled water. :)
    You'll be surprised how many people don't know how to boil water.

It sounds like maybe it's something we can take care of! We got a pretty generous warranty policy. And here's a pro tip, I know that the guys at warranty replace devices past their warranty date too, so always give em a try. Check out this site and fill out the form:

https://lavatools.co/pages/warranty