Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monoprice Sous Vide

monoprice.com has long been known for selling cables of all shapes and forms. Lately, they have started to branch out with speakers, amps and other stuff.
Today, it looks like they are adding a bunch of cooking gadgets, including this Sous Vide cooker: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=21594
$69.99 with free shipping seems like an OK deal. Thoughts? 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks very similar to the Anova at half the price
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    There are lots of sub-$100 buck circulators flooding (heh-heh) the market these days.

Monoprice rebadges a lot of stuff with their name. That same unit is available on Amazon under a different brand but at a higher price - https://smile.amazon.com/Precision-CookTech-Immersion-Stainless-Accurate/dp/B01JMDO64G/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1493135406&sr=1-13&keywords=sous+vide

I  already have a few sous vide circulators but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those if I was looking to get into sous vide. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    I've been on the fence to join the Sous Vide crowd for a while, but for $70, I think I'll jump in.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Wow they really did rip off Anova's design.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited April 2017

My wife is asking if I can make the Chocolate Pots de Creme desert you made at butt blast.
    I told her I need a sous vide to make it as you did.
    She told me to get one.

But would I be a scumbag if I got one of these and not an Anova since the design is so similar??
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Photo Egg
    Sea2Ski said:

My wife is asking if I can make the Chocolate Pots de Creme desert you made at butt blast.
    She told me to get one.

But would I be a scumbag if I got one of these and not an Anova since the design is so similar?

Just a smart shopper, buy it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Sea2Ski said:

She told me to get one.

But would I be a scumbag if I got one of these and not an Anova since the design is so similar??
    Only applicable to overpriced coolers.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Sea2Ski said:

She told me to get one.

But would I be a scumbag if I got one of these and not an Anova since the design is so similar?

I wouldn't call you a scumbag.  I would just read the reviews and make sure they're working fine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I have not been overly happy with the quality of cables I have gotten from monoprice, FWIW. 

Electricity and water?  I would go Anova.
    NOLA
  • andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    For the price, I found their cables more than adequate.
    We'll see about the quality of this gadget, I just ordered one.
  • Photo Egg
    andersa said:
    For the price, I found their cables more than adequate.
    We'll see about the quality of this gadget, I just ordered one.
    As with the Anova products, remove the outer stainless tube when you first get the unit. Make sure the shaft is straight and not angled and make sure the impeller looks correctly shaped. I had issues with 2 of my Anova units in this manner and they "wobbled" when turned on. One more than the other but enough to make them move around on the container.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited April 2017
    Monoprice cables have been great for the price.  Anything with actual moving parts or carefully directed electrons has been junk in my personal experience.  Their return policy sux.  Requires an RMA, which takes at minimum a few days to get, then you pay shipping back, then they inspect and issue a refund sans restocking fee and/or "free shipping" based on what specials you got the 1st time.

Last time I bought $100 in parts, needed to return $65 in items that didn't work, and netted $22 of the $65 in the end.  I was less than happy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Sea2Ski said:

She told me to get one.

Treading very dangerously into scumbag territory. 

Of course, if you already own an RTIC you have already passed the boundary so I'd say go for it. 

Little Rock, AR

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Since you bring up coolers...  Monoprice has cheap/inexpensive/knockoff/adjective rotomolded coolers and stainless tumblers as well:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15638
    smak
    Leesburg, VA