Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright Blackstone owners weigh in? OT

Options
Going to pull the trigger on a 36 inch BackStone to accompany my LBGE and MM. I can not decide to go with the Black finish or Stainless Steal. (I know, truly first world problems here) Will the Stainless Steel hold up better then the Black? Are the burners different?  Right now on Amazon the black 36 model is $263 vs. $394 for the SS model....so there's that. Hummmm  

Also can anyone recommend a good cover? 

Any thoughts from the field.........? 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Don't get the stainless model. The metal is thinner on the stainless skirt and it's more susceptible to warping. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Don't get the stainless model. The metal is thinner on the stainless skirt and it's more susceptible to warping. 
    This.
    I bought the Blackstone cover and it's good quality.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Black model here too. And get the cover 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Personally, nonissue with my stainless, that said, I would probably buy the black if I had to do it again. 
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I have a 36" black one. I bought their cover and their starter kit. I keep 2 foil pans under the cover to keep water from pooling, and I cut the tops off of beer cans and use them in the drip pan for easy cleaning. Nothing else required. You're going to love it. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    All great advice...thanks guys, looking forward to mixing it up a bit. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Black here as well. Easy to keep clean and use it 3 times at least per week. Cover definitely worth it and great quality. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Personally, nonissue with my stainless, that said, I would probably buy the black if I had to do it again. 
    This I was making these comments at Butt Blast. I was worried about rust but it's really a non-issue in my garage.
  • SBGonzo
    Options
    Anyone have any problems with the Blackstone branded cover leaking? 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SBGonzo said:
    Anyone have any problems with the Blackstone branded cover leaking? 
    Not yet. It's more expensive, but good quality. I also use an inverted foil pan. We've had a good bit of rain here and no issues. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    I store my ceramic cap for the large under the cover. Tents the top well for rain fun off 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I got the blackstone cover and it leaked like crazy, even after "tenting" it. Others seem to have better luck. The reviews on Amazon I noticed are very mixed. I'm wondering if they improved it at some point and started taping the seams. Maybe I got one that was old stock. 

FWIW I really cheap and easy fix was a cheap blue tarp that I put under the blackstone cover. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I got the stainless version but only because the wife wanted the "fancier" look for the outdoor kitchen.  Woulda been happy with the plain black.  I hadn't thought about it until @DoubleEgger mentioned it above, but the stainless does seem a little flimsy.  Mine is built in right now so it's not an issue, but I can see how if I were moving it around on the stock legs and casters I might be less than impressed.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    The issue is that the burner throws the flame against the rear skirt. The last holes in the burner are too close to the skirt. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The issue is that the burner throws the flame against the rear skirt. The last holes in the burner are too close to the skirt. 
    Wonder if a few small, stainless, sheet metal screws tapped into the last holes would help?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A warped griddle top is one thing, why get worked up on a warped skirt???  Does it effect performance?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    This cutting board looks bada$$ for the 36.
    Todd has upped his game from the jar of minced garlic.
    https://youtu.be/KqFc7o_2azk
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Focker said:
    This cutting board looks bada$$ for the 36.
    Todd has upped his game from the jar of minced garlic.
    https://youtu.be/KqFc7o_2azk
    Looks really good, especially with lunch time fast approaching...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SBGonzo
    Options
    Agh man looks way better then my turkey sandwich I am having for lunch. Lol 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    An old timer I greatly respected shared his best thoughts with me prior to his death .....

1.  If you need it once, borrow it.
    2.  If you need it twice, buy it.
    3.  If you're gonna buy it, buy the best and never settle.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    SBGonzo said:
     Right now on Amazon the black 36 model is $263 vs. $394 for the SS model....so there's that. Hummmm  

Also can anyone recommend a good cover? 

Any thoughts from the field.........? 
    Man....  Can you ship me one?

https://www.amazon.ca/Blackstone-Outdoor-Cooking-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I got the blackstone cover and it leaked like crazy, even after "tenting" it. Others seem to have better luck. The reviews on Amazon I noticed are very mixed. I'm wondering if they improved it at some point and started taping the seams. Maybe I got one that was old stock. 

FWIW I really cheap and easy fix was a cheap blue tarp that I put under the blackstone cover. 
    @SmokeyPitt, when they sew these things, the sewing needle is puncturing the coated fabric. Go to a camping supply store and buy a tube of seam sealer. Turn the cover inside out and run a bead of it over every seam. That should do the trick. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

@SmokeyPitt, when they sew these things, the sewing needle is puncturing the coated fabric. Go to a camping supply store and buy a tube of seam sealer. Turn the cover inside out and run a bead of it over every seam. That should do the trick. 
    Thanks @Carolina Q. I will give that a try. I actually did use seam sealer but applied it to the top. Makes sense that you want to hit the stitches. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Thanks @Carolina Q. I will give that a try. I actually did use seam sealer but applied it to the top. Makes sense that you want to hit the stitches. 
    Hmm. I would have thought it would work either way, but would just look nicer if you applied it on the inside. 

Maybe you could use the seam sealer to glue the blue tarp to the inside of the cover. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Mine lives on a screen porch and has been waterproof. Maybe not really tested but it's done a good job for me. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    you can also use Permatex silicone from inside out. Done. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SBGonzo
    Options
    I think I am going to go the tarp under the cover route if the cover leaks. Using seam sealer is a solid idea too. I would eventually like to build some type of wooden or plastic top that fits over the griddle.