Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder or Butt for Pulled Pork?

Options
Hope this is not a silly question though probably not an original one I'm sure. What's your preference?
Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    They are the same thing if I am understanding you correctly. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    It's the same thing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Pork shoulder, Boston Butt, and Pork Butt are all the same cut, coming from the front shoulder of the hog
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Oh come on @Battleborn ...

this thread could have made my Sunday. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    My apologies @Killit_and_Grillit perhaps @SGH will be along to speak on the finer points of pork anus. Then things can really get cranked up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I assume you are talking about these two cuts, opposite ends of the shoulder...
    Image result for pork shoulder vs pork butt
    I prefer the Boston butt. Can't tell the difference in taste and it's easier to trim, so more bark. Also, the bone's easier to remove when cooked.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Here's why it's called "butt" - if you believe the internet...
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/22382/how-9-cuts-meat-got-their-names
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    What follows contains more information than you will ever need or care to know about cuts of meats.  But definitely educational:
    http://swansonmeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Meat-Buyers-Guide.pdf   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I prefer the Boston butt cut. Just easier to mange pulling IMO. Muscles on the picnic are not as uniform. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To those that say they are the same cut, they are not.  

A "shoulder" is just that, the whole shoulder.  It includes the butt and the picnic.  

A "butt" is just that, the butt, but usually cut into two for packaging and selling.  

Honestly, I like a whole shoulder better than just a butt.  Why?  Because the skin is still left on.  It protects the meat much more giving a whole hog texture to the meat.  

If you want to ask how's it taste, ask anyone from Butt Blast.  I cooked two whole shoulders.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @tarheelmatt his full shoulder cook was great!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

A "shoulder" is just that, the whole shoulder.  It includes the butt and the picnic.  

A "butt" is just that, the butt, but usually cut into two for packaging and selling.  

Honestly, I like a whole shoulder better than just a butt.  Why?  Because the skin is still left on.  It protects the meat much more giving a whole hog texture to the meat.  

If you want to ask how's it taste, ask anyone from Butt Blast.  I cooked two whole shoulders.  
    I assume @GrillSgt didn't really mean this was Off Topic. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options

I assume @GrillSgt didn't really mean this was Off Topic. ;)
    I'd hope it's a fat finger. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    bikesAndBBQ said:
    I think I understand...So it's the Larry/Lawrence of pork? Thanks.
    Parrish, FL

XL Big Green Egg
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ronw9471 said:
    bikesAndBBQ said:

No, read the rest of the comments.  A whole shoulder is not the same as a butt!  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    a whole shoulder is a butt (boston butt) and a picnic shoulder uncut. the picnic is the small end of the shoulder, butt is the bigger blade end. butt pulls clean, picnic has more fat that needs to be removed when pulling. picnics are less expensive and a slightly stronger flavor(i prefer these)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    ronw9471 said:
    bikesAndBBQ said:

No, read the rest of the comments.  A whole shoulder is not the same as a butt!  

I did read them Matt, was responding to the one I quoted. Thanks.
    Parrish, FL

XL Big Green Egg