Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Shining up one's automobile

Options
It's that time of year when many of us are beginning to free our four-wheeled beasts (and for some of us, two-wheeled) from their winter slumber. 

Personally, I like to wash and wax frequently over the summer months to keep my car looking her best. The jet black finish is not very forgiving and does not allow for much soiling.

I have tried a wide variety of products, but have found that an economical solution resulting in a long lasting shine can be achieved with only a reasonable amount of effort by layering a coating of Nu Finish polish underneath a layer of Meguiars Ultimate synthetic paste wax. To my eyes, the car is left looking like it's dripping and remains that way for a good long while. Using this combo on the rims also yields good results. The only drawback of this approach is that the NuFinish will absolutely cling to any rubber or plastic trim, so you really have to use caution upon application.

Of course, a periodic clay barring and/or application of carnauba wax is also sometimes in order. Tire shine can also be a nice touch - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - but can also end up coating the fenders a little.

What products and processes do you use to keep your car looking its best?

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Let someone else do it. I clean the bike myself, but not very often and that's just a quick wash.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I use Zaino products.  Easy to apply and lasts forever.  Once I tried them, I have not even looked at anything else. Not to mention and makes no difference, but they smell great too! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    My Porter Cable dual action buffer is nice and safe, you cannot burn through.  Getting the right pads is a must.

I'm a huge fan of Meguire's 105 and 205 rubbing compound to cut/polish.

Poorboy's products after that.
    EX-P sealant
    Natty's Red or Blue to finish.

Chemical Guys Wash and Wax.

Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel, long lasting.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Focker said:

never heard of that before, Brandon. It appears Amazon is the easiest source, or do you buy it elsewhere?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

never heard of that before, Brandon. It appears Amazon is the easiest source, or do you buy it elsewhere?
    That'll work.
    I buy all of the auto detail products, pads, micro towels, drying towels, etc here.
    http://www.detailedimage.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwofHHBRDS0Pnhpef89ucBEiQASEp6LLTM_95_Krllb8KdOiQacTiEgT5iErlfowC9Ood2aw4aAgcK8P8HAQ

BFTE
    http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Long-Lasting-Tire-Gel-P204/16-oz-S1/
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Detailed Image's Daily Special 303 Aerospace Protectant is a great deal at $9.

Perfect for trim, interior, leather.
    Smokes Armor All and the rest of the competition.

Forgot to mention that in my preferred list.
    303 is tits.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks! Will be ordering today!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice. Will have to look into some of these products. 

For the record, I sometimes wax my Eggs - by this I mean the barbecues, of course. They take on a nice sheen and dirt sticks to the exterior less easily. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Bought the Blackfire, an applicator, 32 oz of 303 and even got a free t-shirt! Thanks for helping me spend some money, Brandon!
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Bought the Blackfire, an applicator, 32 oz of 303 and even got a free t-shirt! Thanks for helping me spend some money, Brandon!
    Good products to keep that Vette shinin'.  B)

If you like the 303, Farm and Fleet is the cheapest around, a buck or two more than DI though, but in stock.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I am a big fan of Adam's Polishes. They have a solid lineup to meet various needs. Agree with @Sea2Ski that Zaino make some great stuff too. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I use Zaino products.  Easy to apply and lasts forever.  Once I tried them, I have not even looked at anything else. Not to mention and makes no difference, but they smell great too! 
    Totally agree. Zaino is the best there is. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    X2 on the Zaino products. Tried them last year, now I'm hooked. I won't use anything else.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,302
    Options
    A month ago I bought a Mazda. It is a blue so dark it looks black . It definitely needs washing and waxing more often than my previous white vehicle. So this is a timely thread.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    God I miss not having porters :s
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Mickey said:
    porters?
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    zaino is the bees knees.  i used it on my infiniti once when i bought it.  3 years later the water was still beading on it when i traded it in.  and that is in south texas heat
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Vette guys love their old school Zaino like their matching nylon Corvette jackets. Lol

A lot has changed in the detail world, in the last 30 years or so. Hahaha

Use what you are comfortable with, as there is no best option...but a professional clay, orbital cut, seal, and wax, cannot be beat.  This takes work.  Many, in today's age, struggle with that concept.

Go to a good detail shop.  I would bet, if they're good, there will be no Z bottles found.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Finally wore out my old air polisher, and bought the new Dewalt 9" variable speed unit. Really like how it buffs and polishes. I am old school, so I still use 3M pads and products.  Expensive, but so is my time. 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Another plus 1 on the Porter I use chemical guys jetseal after using blacklight glaze use jetseal twice a year make sure you remove old sealants wax and glaze before you put on a glaze and sealant. If you have a dark car I don't think you can beat blacklight.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i just drive the truck, egg with the egg =) seriously, last time i washed the 1989 truck was maybe 1991. and it looks as good as my egg too =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • znagle28
    znagle28 Posts: 33
    Options
    I use all Chemical Guys products and have used them for about 5 years. 

I currently have a black '16 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's Wheeler. Have a medium clay bar coming in this week for my Spring detail.

Wash (2 bucket system), dry (use leafblower to get it all), clay bar, wax (blacklight), then sealant (V07). 

Of course I'm going to hit the interior completely as well as applying vinyl dressing to the plastic exterior parts after I'm all done. Probably looking at 5-6 hours at least.. but it's well worth it. 

Haven't ever been disapointed with chemical guys stuff. Maybe I'll post a few pics after I detail it Friday.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Focker said:
    Vette guys love their old school Zaino like their matching nylon Corvette jackets. Lol

Use what you are comfortable with, as there is no best option...but a professional clay, orbital cut, seal, and wax, cannot be beat.  This takes work.  Many, in today's age, struggle with that concept.

Go to a good detail shop.  I would bet, if they're good, there will be no Z bottles found.
    You are correct, probably not.

But I can get the same look and protection at a fraction of the cost, without paying someone, and done at my convenience is a win/win/win. Sure, my vents are not dusted with q-tips or the inside of my wheels that no one sees polished, but that is fine with me.  The water will bead up and the paint will be UV protected just the same. Plus I really do love the way the product smells.  I will stick with them. I see no reason to spend more money, energy, time to get the same result - or at least the same result that I can measure with my own eyes. 

I'd rather have a prime dry aged ribeye roast and a few extra bills in my pocket over the clean vents and dusty inside wheel any day.  :lol:
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    znagle28 said:
    I use all Chemical Guys products and have used them for about 5 years. 

I currently have a black '16 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's Wheeler. Have a medium clay bar coming in this week for my Spring detail.

Wash (2 bucket system), dry (use leafblower to get it all), clay bar, wax (blacklight), then sealant (V07). 

Of course I'm going to hit the interior completely as well as applying vinyl dressing to the plastic exterior parts after I'm all done. Probably looking at 5-6 hours at least.. but it's well worth it. 

Haven't ever been disapointed with chemical guys stuff. Maybe I'll post a few pics after I detail it Friday.

Chemical Guys are top notch.
    You clearly know what you're doing....kudos.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Focker said:

But I can get the same look and protection at a fraction of the cost, without paying someone, and done at my convenience is a win/win/win. Sure, my vents are not dusted with q-tips or the inside of my wheels that no one sees polished, but that is fine with me.  The water will bead up and the paint will be UV protected just the same. Plus I really do love the way the product smells.  I will stick with them. I see no reason to spend more money, energy, time to get the same result - or at least the same result that I can measure with my own eyes. 

I'd rather have a prime dry aged ribeye roast and a few extra bills in my pocket over the clean vents and dusty inside wheel any day.  :lol:
    I will post pics on this thread or the OT one when I clay, cut, seal, and wax my dad's '66 C-2 in July for a big show in August.  He would b!tchslap me if I put Zaino on it.

There is much more to judging a paint detail than water beading and odor.  Lmao

Like I stated, use the products, and most importantly, tools, you are comfortable with.

But to say Zaino is the best, is just a$$inine.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    i just drive the truck, egg with the egg =) seriously, last time i washed the 1989 truck was maybe 1991. and it looks as good as my egg too =)
    My '97 Taco has never been washed since I took ownership 5 years ago.  My Chevy still gets cut, sealed, and waxed as needed.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Focker said:
    My '97 Taco has never been washed since I took ownership 5 years ago.  My Chevy still gets cut, sealed, and waxed as needed.
    im looking to replace the h2 i rolled this winter and all im finding nearby in any descent shape is shiny black ones, love the look but could never do the needed upkeep. the 89 was cleaned the first two years on sundays, then the rest of the week was for mudding it up =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    porters?
    Yes, the guys that take your car/truck in the morning and clean it, fill it up. You didn't have them to do that to your demo in the bank?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Focker said:

I will post pics on this thread or the OT one when I clay, cut, seal, and wax my dad's '66 C-2 in July for a big show in August.  He would b!tchslap me if I put Zaino on it.

There is much more to judging a paint detail than water beading and odor.  Lmao

Like I stated, use the products, and most importantly, tools, you are comfortable with.

But to say Zaino is the best, is just a$$inine.
    I can understand your point of using an orbital and what not on a custom paint job where you have multiple coats of paint and clear coat. But, on todays finishes on the new cars there just isn't enough on the vehicles to be cutting it. You wouldn't have any clear coat left. Plus, you need to know what you are doing when using an orbital, as you can quickly ruin the finish.
    Plus, there is a difference between a SHOW car and a daily driver.
    I don't have a garage. My vehicles are out in the elements year round.
    Carnuba just never seems to hold up on any of my vehicles.
    I don't have the time to be reapplying a coat of wax on my vehicles every 2 months. Zaino in the Spring and Fall are enough to keep my vehicles looking good all year.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I guess Focker would be a car cleaning expert after seeing that pic of him attempting to back a camper in the driveway.