Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I have an RV. We discovered the egg in an area store now we have a dilemma, what size to buy? Any experienced R.V.er's out there who can advise us on the size. We looked at the small and the store says we need the medium because of the accessories. Our problem is how heavy and the weight for loading and unloading?
Can anyone help?

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Gray Cook,
    I don't have an RV, yet. But I do plan on moving my egg from point A to point B regularly. The small is a great cooker for two to four people, and just because it may not have a plate setter doesn't mean you can't do anything on it that you can do on the medium. Well maybe not everything. Get you some fire bricks or some GrateMates from Chubby and you can do indirect, direct, T-Rex, or bake at 350. You can also make your own grill extender. AND it is small enough to move easily. IMHO

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Gray Cook,[p]Although not an experienced RV/Egger, MHO is thatthe large would be way too heavy to be practical. Suggest you check the weight of the med and small. Many like the mini if just for 2 people and usually only for grilling. I have a large and will get a small next. [p]Many have made a special nest with handles to facilitate moving them around. Don't forget, the ceramic holds heat for a LONG time, so packing up within a couple hours after cooking is probably not in the cards.[p]I am sure u will get more experienced responses.[p]Woody
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Gray Cook,[p]I am a long time camper/RV'er. I do not have an egg for camping, yet, when I do I will have the small for camping. I still pack and use my brinkman water smoker on camping trips. I almost can't stand using the water smoker any more. [p]There is also a product made by "Chubby" of this forum called "grate mates." It is an easy, practical solution for indirect cooking on a small. I would recommend this product for the small you are going to buy. [p]It is also pretty fuel efficient,so you won't need to haul a ton of charcoal. Which by the way should be "Lump" Charcoal.[p]E

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I don't RV but do have a small. Pooh on the salesman. Get the small and Chubby's Grate Mate's. You can also get the BGE 8" ceramic baking dish for indirect cooking. Pottery kiln disks will also work. While I love my large, I use the small when cooking for the two of us.[p]Toy Man
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Gray Cook,
    Here is a link to a slick little transporter for a small BGE. I think that this would be a great way to securely transport your Smell Egg in an RV. This is WessB's site, which you can addess from The Naked Whiz's site (a must read, if you are new to Egging).[p]www.thenakedwhiz.com[p]Enjoy!

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Tips/smtransport/small_transporter.htm[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Gray Cook,
    The small is just what you need. Like others have mentioned Chubby's gratemates are the way to go. You could skip them and check out WessB's site. He has pics showing how to do indirect cooks without them.

• Gray Cook,[p]Be sure to measure the height of the compartment in your RV that you plan to store the cooker for travel. The cooker must be transported upright and not in any way on it's side in the camper or it may break. In other words, just be sure that the cooker will fit the space in the upright position. [p]I like the BGE small for our campers and do get along quite well with it.[p]Dave

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Gray Cook,
    I'd go for the small. You didn't say how you would carry it, but I sure wouldn't want to be shifting a mediuum around much. You could probably put the small in the front seat of your toad (seat belt on, of course) or use a hitch carrier if you are not towing.

• katman,
    thanks for the information, all who responded basically recommended the same thing.

• Old Dave, learn something new everyday thanks for the info