Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo ribs - OMG so good!

Options
jetman96
jetman96 Posts: 127
Used the @Mickey recipe for turbo ribs, and never going back. Dry brine for 45 minutes, mustard, DP rub 15 mins, DP rub again 10 mins, 1:30 @ 350*, cherry wood smoke. Additional 5 minutes with Ogre Sauce. So incredibly good, and wife loved them so much. No more 5 hour ribs for me.

Cincinnati, OH
Large BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks delicious!

Ah, another convert! Now you need to try a turbo butt. That is where you really will learn to appreciate the time savings that a turbo cook gives you without a loss in taste.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice work and "lightbulb" moment.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Did you notice a change in texture?  I've heard that ribs take on a different texture when cooked at higher temperatures compared to low and slow. They look delicious. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nailed it!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jetman96
    Options
    Did you notice a change in texture?  I've heard that ribs take on a different texture when cooked at higher temperatures compared to low and slow. They look delicious. 
    No, not really. They still pulled off the bone, rather than fall off. I've done low and slow and turbo, and turbo is the way to go.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • jetman96
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks delicious!

Ah, another convert! Now you need to try a turbo butt. That is where you really will learn to appreciate the time savings that a turbo cook gives you without a loss in taste.
    I did a turbo butt as well (link). Definitely a convert.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    So these cooked in 1.5 hours? They look perfect. I'm obviously doing it wrong. 
    Snellville, GA

• Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    Options
    I've cooked ribs in the oven at 325 and if memory served me right i think it took 2.5-3 hours.   350 degrees really change cook time by that much? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The Force is strong with this one. Great cook and presentation. Looks delicious. Congrats.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I gotta admit those look really good, but my turbo cooks have been very sub par.  I guess I'm just an old school guy and low n slow will always be how I do it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
    I've cooked ribs in the oven at 325 and if memory served me right i think it took 2.5-3 hours.   350 degrees really change cook time by that much? 
    Yes it does. Besides unless you get a thrill out of cleaning the grease splatters off your oven's interior it really is better to turbo cook them in your BGE. The only thing I will add which hadn't been repeated tonight (sorry @Lit if it has B) ) is there is no need to foil turbos. To me the foil ruins the bark by making it mushy. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Mikea5232 said:
    I think you get some good convection action in the egg that probably helps it along vs a standard oven.
  • EpicCajun
    Options
    Those look delicious.  This turbo rib cook has peaked my interest.   I have a rack of baby's in the freezer already, might have to sling them on the egg tonight for dinner.    
  • Mikea5232
    Options
    RRP said:p
    Mikea5232 said:
    Yes it does. Besides unless you get a thrill out of cleaning the grease splatters off your oven's interior it really is better to turbo cook them in your BGE. The only thing I will add which hadn't been repeated tonight (sorry @Lit if it has B) ) is there is no need to foil turbos. To me the foil ruins the bark by making it mushy. 
    I use to do the ribs in the oven during the winter months.   I have an egg now do the oven got forced into early retirement
  • Mikea5232
    Options
    Legume said:
    Mikea5232 said:
    I think you get some good convection action in the egg that probably helps it along vs a standard oven.
    My oven is convention.  But i just got the egg last weekend so i doubt the oven will get much use anymore. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Welcome to the Dark Side, @jetman96:)

Mickey's turbo is the only way I cook ribs - it's never failed me. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Those look great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Turbo you still do the bend test or tooth pic test right?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    yes
  • jetman96
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    They failed the bend test, but passed the toothpick and Thermapen test (203-205*)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Looks great 
    Tim Rickman,Tn.