Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bike Rack

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,365
OK I bought my better half a nice bicycle for her birthday recently and she works near the beach and wants to ride after work sometimes.
She has an appointment tomorrow to get a small hitch receiver mounted on her CRV. Need some recommendations on a bike rack and security to use so it doesn't walk off while she's working. Thinking a basic two bike rack for a 1 1/4 receiver with a hitch lock and a long cable through the bike and through a tow loop on the car. Any suggestions appreciated. 
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We use a Saris Bones 2 on our VW Jetta. I highly recommend it. It locks itself to the vehicle and secures the bikes. We also use a Thule Parkway, which is hitch mount, for the Silverado. I usually just finagle a bike lock around the whole mess. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have one for my receiver. Granted it's a Class IV 2" receiver but, it works perfect. Chris, you should be fine even with 1.25" receiver. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    I have one for my receiver. Granted it's a Class IV 2" receiver but, it works perfect. Chris, you should be fine even with 1.25" receiver. 
    Not worried about the receiver capacity for a bike, more how to keep it from theft while she's working all day. Need a rack and security.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Besides theft, a tailgater pose a real problem.  If she ever needs to brake quickly the bikes are in jeopardy of being hit.  (The only good thing about losing a bike that way is the damage the hitch does to the person that rear ends you.  Karma .....)
    We have always used Yakima roof rack for our bikes.  I am short so I keep a folding step stool in the back.   
    Now that we have transitioned over to recumbent trikes,  a truck is in our future (even though both Catrikes fit in the MDX there not much room is left for anything else.)
    If you belong to REI they sponsor garage sales.  You might pick up a good deal on a rack at the sale.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Anything on the bike that has a quick release like the seat and wheels you'll need to run the cable through. One thing I did on my daughter's bike when she went off to college was remove the quick release off the seat and just put a bolt and through it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Just came in the house from loading up our Swagmam XTC2 bike rack. Super easy to load and unload and holds the bikes very sturdy. Found a photo online of it mounted to a CRV. The best thing is how the bikes sit in the rack instead of swings from it. The ratcheting hooks can be locked if you drill out the hole so the lock will fit, otherwise you have to use a tiny, not worth the effort lock. Will fit 1 1/4 or 2 inch receiver (with adapter). 

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Put the bike IN the vehicle if left unattended very long. May have to remove front wheel-easy. I've seen far too many bikes go missing off racks w/cable locks and from the racks in back of trucks from hospital parking lot. Thieves see the pattern, know you will be away a few hrs, get cable cutters and strike one day. Sorry to be so negative...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Put the bike IN the vehicle if left unattended very long. May have to remove front wheel-easy. I've seen far too many bikes go missing off racks w/cable locks and from the racks in back of trucks from hospital parking lot. Thieves see the pattern, know you will be away a few hrs, get cable cutters and strike one day. Sorry to be so negative...
    Yeah, an even half way determined thief will grab it. I am so paranoid about losing our bikes we rarely let them out of our site. When we travel, the bikes come into the hotel room and the rack gets unbolted and put in the trunk of the car. Yes, it is a pain to have to do that, but I don't want to leave that rack or the bikes out there as temptation. 
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    We do the same...I only consider a rack a means of transporting. If I go in a business, I park in direct view and am back very quick, or put in SUV.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Dobie
    Options
    She will not be able to fit it in the CRV and no way she will load and unload and assemble. Just want a sturdy hitch mount rack and to make it difficult to swipe quickly. They have security at work but it's just an old dude in a golf cart. No worries about negativity, I'm a pessimist by nature. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dobie said:
    OK I bought my better half a nice bicycle for her birthday recently and she works near the beach and wants to ride after work sometimes.
    She has an appointment tomorrow to get a small hitch receiver mounted on her CRV. Need some recommendations on a bike rack and security to use so it doesn't walk off while she's working. Thinking a basic two bike rack for a 1 1/4 receiver with a hitch lock and a long cable through the bike and through a tow loop on the car. Any suggestions appreciated. 
    You might want to check out the Yakima bike rack at etrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Yakima/Y02424.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Yakima/Y02457.html
    Summerville, SC
  • Dobie
    Options
    F3DAWG said:
    Dobie said:

That's got some good features but wondering if this frame style work.
    pics in vanilla order. 

Jacksonville FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    There really is no security on a rack.
    Mine is only used to transport to and from the trail, I don't go in stores, gas stations.

I'm with krobertsmsn,
    Your best bet is upgrading to a Pilot, and stowing in it.  Super easy to take the front wheels off Mtn bikes and roadies these days, and they are lighter too.  My friend hauls her bike inside of a Camry.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dobie
    Options
    She doesn't want a Pilot. I put it in the back of my 4Runner to get it home and she wouldn't be able to unload by herself. It's a large frame bike since she is very tall and barely fit in the 4R. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    @epcotisbest she was actually looking at a lower model in the Swagman brand but I like the XTC2 you posted thanks. Probably go with that and a thick cable lock through the tow loop on the car. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Dobie said:
    She doesn't want a Pilot. I put it in the back of my 4Runner to get it home and she wouldn't be able to unload by herself. It's a large frame bike since she is very tall and barely fit in the 4R. 
    I am 6'1" and ride XL frames and with the front tire off I can fit my bikes in a forester easily.  Make sure you lock it properly to the rack. Most lock jobs on bikes I see everywhere are near useless. Getting a u-lock to go with the cable lock would be a good idea. Thieves usually carry snips that can get through cable locks in seconds. U-locks are a little tougher to get thru and placed properly are really tough for thieves to break. They can still do it but it takes a higher end thief. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options
    Dobie said:
    F3DAWG said:
    Dobie said:

That's got some good features but wondering if this frame style work.
    pics in vanilla

Yes, you just need to use this adapter.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y02531.html

Summerville, SC
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Just purchased a Thule swing rack for our SUV from etrailer.com.  I won't weigh in on a rack model as most are probably more knowledgeable then me.  The Thule worked for us.  Just wanted to say I have always found etrailer's customer service to be outstanding.  And they will price match +10% difference on any competitors price.  Good luck.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

We had a bunch of bike theft at our hospital years back.  A sting was set up by the local police and the hospital staff that ride.  There were 50+ bikes in the lot due to an advertised "Group Ride" that evening.  Police stationed inside and outside the building.  One enterprising thief would drive up, remove the bike AND the rack out of the hitch, place it on his truck's hitch, and drive off....

Secure the rack to the receiver with a good lock as well.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!