Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: not BGE related at all: OT customer service related

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532

• ryantt

Well I posted just yeasterday on another group how KJ had dropped the ball, and I would no longer be dealing with them.   I was frustrated and angry with the lack of calling me back like they claimed they would.  So I sent an email to them stating that I was done and that I felt like a sucker for believing in the product the sell!!! 

Well last night around 5pm I received a call and it was Bobby from KJ.  He went step by step with me down a check list and we realized I had already done all of these things on my own.  We knew it wasn't a charcoal issue as I have been burning rockwood in it,I had it going with 3 starter cubes, vents wide open but it wouldn't get hot.  So he said try your BGE thermometer in it and see.  So last night when I arrived home around 730p I filled up the fire box lit the thing and let it ride for 30 or so minutes before closing the dome.   I wanted to make sure I had a good bed of coals going before letting it come up.  Well it took some time but it hit 600s with my BGE thermometer in it.   I sent Bobby a text told him what happened and that I appreciated him contacting me.  

Listen he didn't have to I'm one guy who has one KJ and zero social media accounts, so it's not like I could hurt his sales. But he did it out of what felt like a real concern, wanting to make it right.   He shipped me a new thermometer this morning and a gift for my daughter who loves to cook with us.  She's a seasoned vet of 2 comps(non ceramic) and has a first place chicken....so just ask her she'll tell you.  

Bobby was awesome, took his time understood my frustration, was patient and listened to what my problems were.  In the end, perhaps I was frustrated because of slow response times or they the reps were not understanding what I was saying or were overwhelmed by difficulties in there day, I'll never know.  what I do know is that at the top of the organization, the leadership level, they do care, they want you to like their products and be a brand ambassador.  After my interaction with Bobby I will be singing his praises!!!!

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• WeberWho
      WeberWho Posts: 11,029
      Options
      It's sucks when you don't hear a thing and have to resort to your final thoughts before hearing something. I'm glad they ended up fixing the issue and went above what you expected. 
      "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
    • ryantt
      Options
      @WeberWho I'm just happy that they worked with me going above and beyond was just amazing.  

• Killit_and_Grillit
      Options
      "Dear KJ, 

Your ceramic grill is terrible. Fire is not hot.

Sincerely,
      ryantt"

Oh I would have definitely responded to that service call.  ;)=)=)

JK man, glad to hear you got it figured out. My BGE thermometer was 150 degrees off when I replaced it, it can drive you crazy.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ryantt
      Options
      "Dear KJ, 

Your ceramic grill is terrible. Fire is not hot.

Sincerely,
      ryantt"

Oh I would have definitely responded to that service call.  ;)=)=)

JK man, glad to hear you got it figured out. My BGE thermometer was 150 degrees off when I replaced it, it can drive you crazy.
      What's funny is it was calibrated and was close in the boiling water, so no way I thought it was the thermometer.  

• Hotch
      Hotch Posts: 3,564
      Options
      Glad you got it sorted out.
      We cook at 6-7 Eggfest Events a year. And I have learned over the years to use my Thermopen to see if the temp gauge is even close on the Demo Eggs. Most times it is but a few it was way off!!
      Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
      BGE Chiminea
      Prosper, TX
    • DoubleEgger
      DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
      Options
      Hotch said:
      Glad you got it sorted out.
      We cook at 6-7 Eggfest Events a year. And I have learned over the years to use my Thermopen to see if the temp gauge is even close on the Demo Eggs. Most times it is but a few it was way off!!
      Great idea
    • blasting
      blasting Posts: 6,262
      Options

I always appreciate a good customer service story in today's world.

That said, a positive story about the competition isn't likely to stay visible very long.

Phoenix 
    • Legume
      Legume Posts: 14,627
      Options
      I've been pulling my therm and dropping my thermopop in the hole to do a quick calibration check before or soon after adding meat rather than the boiling water thing.
    • ryantt
      Options
      @blasting you are probably correct; however, good service is good service.   I hope that they allow it to stay up for a little time.  

• SoCalTim
      SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
      edited April 2017
      Options
      Here's my BGE customer service experience (after all, this is a BGE forum), I recently updated to the new style band for my lg egg.

I also have an Egg Handler installed, well, the new style band will not allow the dome to fully open as it hit the upper arms that hold the Handler in place.

I called BGE, prepared for battle, had all my ducks in a row, pictures, pictures and more pictures.

I got Duane on the phone, before I could get 4 or 5 words out, he said, oh .. we have redesigned arms for that.

I was about to ask 'how much', but before I could he said, I'll send them out free of charge. He didn't even ask for an invoice or anything. Just took my info and shipped them out via FEDEX>

This is why I am a BGE customer and NOT posting KJ posts here on their forum.

That.
      I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
    • ryantt
      Options
      Well @SoCalTim I'm glad it worked out for you.  I've posted great experiences with many of the companies I've purchased from.  Bruce at BGE was one of the nicest people I'd ever delt with, pointed me I t he right direction when I had an issue.   Offered to ship the stuff to me free of charge if one of the dealers gave me to much issue.