Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok eggsperts, I need some advice. a friend of mine cooks boston butts for about 16 hours followed by 8 hours in the oven wrapped in tin foil. I am using the renown mr. brown recipe in smoke and spice. should I stick to the recipe or should I wrap it in tin foil and put it in the oven for a few hours. my friend says he can pull out the bone with two fingers after removing it from the oven. what are the pros/cons of putting the butt in foil?? should I or shouldn't I do this?? thanks

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    maddawg,[p]The renown Mr. Brown recipe is great but not intended for the BGE. I did a butt (7lb) this weekend and just 18 hrs @ 250* did the job and I could remove the bone just as easily. Plenty of bark (Mr. Brown) by the way and the fat boys were fighting over it.[p]just my $.02[p]K~G

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=35579531
    <p />maddawg, Here is a pair of butts getting ready to be cooked at 225-250 for about 15 hours. I placed firebricks on the main grid then placed a second grid on top. The butts were so tender when I pulled them off they broke in half. Bones fell out and with 2 forks pulled just the way they are supposed to. I think the foil in the oven will do the same thing but I never tried that.[p]CWM
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    maddawg,[p]Correction[p]Dummy me, not enough coffee yet this morning. The Jamisons recipe will work just fine but the time in the oven with foil is unnecessary.[p]K~G

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    View?u=819531&a=10663732&p=37697808
    <p />maddawg,[p]I have never tried the foil thing in the oven, but I guess it would work. If I were to do it, I would just cover with foil and leave it in the egg. Sometimes, people will cover their meat with foil to speed up the cool (if people are comming in a few hours).[p]Smokey

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Smokey,[p]That is speed up the cook (not cool)![p]Must ... Get ... Coffee. Need ... Cafeen!

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    maddawg,[p]I would just stay with the basic receipe and let it ride on the egg! After 16 hours you should be getting close! and if need be just bump up the temp a little and finish it up. I posted a question a few days ago about the what the finish tempature should be, and it varies from person to person from 185* - 200*, I'm on the low end of that scale and pulls like butter! Seems wrapping it in foil and throwing it in the oven would dry the meat out, but never tried it!
    Good luck!
    Greg

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    maddawg, In essence to a very difficult question
    forget it. :-)
    C~W[p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    maddawg,[p]I prefer to not finish the cook in foil. Using the foil tends to steam the meal and softens (too much for my tastes) the nice chewy texture and flavor of Mr. Brown.[p]In the 24 hours required for the recipe cook, your Egg can do a fantastic job with the meat without the need for your oven, moving the cook indoors, or wrapping in foil.[p]Just my opinion, and I would recommend you try the recipe as written.[p]Spin

• maddawg,..you don`t need the foil and the bone will pull out very easy if`n you get the temp of that butt to 200º...
    I just did one in 17 hours and when I pulled it from the cooker it was like a lump of jelly.....
    It was wonderfull.....I would have liked the bark to have been a tad more plentifull but It was good all the same...
    Roger!

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have been trying to figure out a good method to do two butts at one time.What are you using for a drip pan in your pic? [p][p][p][p][p][p]

• Roger, I remember a thread on the other forum about butterflying a butt, for fans of bark. I have not tried this myself, but I think you just split the butt through where the bone is, removing the bone. You can then lay the butt flat. This will reduce your cooking time and generate a lot more bark per butt. The posts I remember said it was an experiment worth trying for bark lovers.[p]Just an idea.[p]DougW

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Sippi, I hate it when that happens. No drip pan just the firebricks covered with aluminum foil on the main grate 2 firebricks on their side and another smaller grate holding the butts. The butts are located directly above the bricks.[p]CWM[p]
  • DougW,,,,,,,Hey, that sounds like a good idea......I would love to try that...[p]Roger

• Roger, here is a link from the guy that ran the experimint. If you haven't already been to this web site, there is a lot of good general info.[p]
    DougW

[ul][li]butterflied butt[/ul]