Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribbs and Rub

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love to cook ribbs on the Egg. I don't think I have ever had any bad ones. Got some today but due to the rain in my area, SC, I will probably wait to do them Saturday. I have my own rub concocktion and it is very tasty. One question. Has anyone ever put the rub on two or three days before the cook?[p]Chef Jerry

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p] I think that call it Tasso by then :) 4 hours has been my top.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I had to postpone a cook one time: the rub didn't have as distinct taste by the time I was able to cook the ribs.[p]Stay safe and dry.[p]Ken

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Until I got my egg and found this site, I always rubbed mine 24-48 hours in advance. I was taught that by a BBQ chef that was competing in the Circuit. That was how he did the ribs that he was going to sell to the public. I am not sure what he did for competition cooks.[p]No Disrespect to any other rubs, but in my opinion that guy made the BEST rub I have ever had. I have been trying to reverse engineer it with no success. And now I am just about out of product, so I will be going from memory soon. SO I am doomed. LOL[p]E
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    if there is a lot of salt in the rub it may become bacon. I have had that happened. Rub on for a few days and the ribs tasted like bacon.

• Jwirlwind,[p]Not sure but I used to put the rub on the night before. The next day I found a lot of moisture in the pan so I am thinking the salt is drawing it out. So now I marinade in Italian dressing and brown sugar overnight then put the rib on about 1/2 hr prior to cooking.[p]Howard

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I decided I would not do the rub that long. Just do it the way I usually do. Again, I haven't had any bad ones yet. [p]Chef Jerry always in the know