Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BlackStone regulator gas leak - a PSA

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
when I was through using my 17" BS I unscrewed the regulator from the unit, but left the hand tightened green bomb tank attached. The next morning I brought the unit into my screened porch as well as the tank/regulator. As I sat there last night I thought I could smell gas, so I sniffed the tank and sensed nothing. Tonight I know I smelled gas again so I did the soap and water test and sure enough it was blowing bubbles! So for 48 hours I had a slow leak - no wonder these tanks don't last long! BTW I checked and the regulator was quite tight and the rubber seal looks fine. The only upshot is when I unscrewed the regulator the last twist there was a blast of gas! Guess I will wonder which lost more gas - the slow leak or the blast at removal from the tank. I just know I won't be leaving it inside the house and certainly no where near my hot eggs if I haven't disconnected the regulator! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good practice to disconnect after every use.  I do the same for the L and G weed torch, noticed the leak when left connected.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know I wasn't nuts! Though I was a heavy cigarette smoker for 20 years during which I couldn't smell dog sh*t on my shoes I have been clean for 32 years and can smell a f*rt a block away. I know the leak was small, but it was a leak just the same and wasting gas! I'll be a double disconnector from here on and recommend others to do the same! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I believe a lot of people replaced the regulator on theirs. I think Bayou Classic was what folks opted for. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I believe a lot of people replaced the regulator on theirs. I think Bayou Classic was what folks opted for. 
    That's for the 36. Rons is the little guy, mine leaked too when I first set it up. The rubber gasket wasn't set in the sleeve right. Easy fix. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That's for the 36. Rons is the little guy, mine leaked too when I first set it up. The rubber gasket wasn't set in the sleeve right. Easy fix. 
    oh? So I should just take a small blunt ended rod and shove it down? Maybe even use a small wooden mallet to do so? Thanks! I will give it a try - but do the water/soap bubble test several times until I trust it!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @RRP. It could be the green bottles that leak.  My Weber baby Q has leaks from time to time when I use the Coleman green bottles too.  Perhaps they aren't machined properly to allow the threads to act as a sealed connection...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I believe I used a twig off the ground. There's a rubber gasket inside the sleeve much like a water hose, that wasn't seated correctly. Not saying this is your leak, just that it was mine. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I believe I used a twig off the ground. There's a rubber gasket inside the sleeve much like a water hose, that wasn't seated correctly. Not saying this is your leak, just that it was mine. 
    gotcha - plus I think I'll give the male threads a couple wraps of plumbers' Teflon tape.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive had problems with the newer tanks leaking after the first use, they just are not made as well as they used to be. there are brass caps you can seal them with on line for between uses.  i have never had this problem til about 10 years ago, have always had tanks rolling around in the back of the truck
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    EPILOGUE:
    Even after tamping down the rubber gasket plus wrapping the threads on the tank 3 times with plumbers' Teflon tape that tank was still blowing soap bubbles! Looks like disconnecting is the only safe way!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Grab some of this and throw that tape away. 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Check for recalls.  We had a recall at my work for Worthington brand cylinders leaking if disconnected.  They were fine if left hooked up, but if disconnected each time, they slow leaked.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Are you seeing the leak wherepropane cylinder is threaded in? Or are you seeing it where that really small coupler is attached to the grill?
  • RRP
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Are you seeing the leak wherepropane cylinder is threaded in? Or are you seeing it where that really small coupler is attached to the grill?
    It is where the regulator has screwed on to the tank.
  • RRP
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Check for recalls.  We had a recall at my work for Worthington brand cylinders leaking if disconnected.  They were fine if left hooked up, but if disconnected each time, they slow leaked.
    These are Bernzomatic 1 pound camping gas tanks and I found no recalls, but thanks anyway.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP said:
    stv8r said:
    These are Bernzomatic 1 pound camping gas tanks and I found no recalls, but thanks anyway.
    worthington makes those cylinders, they own bernzomatic and consolidated the two tank facilities. they still leak when you disconnect them, the brass cap will help stop that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    RRP said:
    odie91 said:
    It is where the regulator has screwed on to the tank.
    Have you tried attaching different bottles and see if soap bubbles form on the regulator connection with all of your bottles?

If you are seeing bubbles with all your bottles then my bet is that the threads on the regulator itself are messed up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk