Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defitely Going to buy.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I tried to like multi-level cooking, and moving things around.  Found it to be a major PITA.

Some buy multi-level grid setups, fighting and fiddling and moving and shaking and rolling things around.

I've found, it's much better to buy entire grills =) , run them simultaneously, not just stacking and cramming grids.  Airflow is definitely a factor in the quality of end product.
    18 to 22 is huge, with any of my cookers.
    It is so nice, lying 3 full racks down with room to spare on the 22 WSM.  I quit brisket, but if one is a hardcore rib and brisket fan, then I would give the XL a serious look.

A large egg and OTG kettle are a killer combo.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I miss my mini. I was pretty much using it exclusively until my dog knocked it over. Yes, I was devastated. Now, I just have my large. I've owned it since 2009 and I have never wished I had bought an XL. Not once. In fact, sometimes I wonder - if I had started with the mini, would I have ever bought a large? I kinda doubt it.

Depends on how many you need to feed. And what accessories you select. A large can cook tons of food.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Family of 4 and the large works great for us!  Cooked pork butt for Easter and easily fed 12 adults and 7 kids and still had lots of leftovers that we split between families.  I could have easily cooked an extra butt for that cook.  Looking at adding a small which would work for a majority of my families cooks.
  • Duderonomy
    Options
    I have Large and XL.  90% of my cooks get done on the Large.  The other 10% cold be done on the large with a little effort.  The extra space is convenient on the XL but if I could only have ONE I would want the Large.  The XL is a little harder and slower to warm up when you want a quicker or smaller cook.  
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Large and mini here....Cooking for 1-4 depending on the day
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    It doesn't matter which one you get now because if you get the xl sooner or later you will be getting another egg! If you get the lg sooner or later it's egg #2. I have 2 lg's in NC and 1lg in FL a small in the motor home and a Mini Max in NC would never purchase a MM I won the one I have. I say if ya got the money, space for an xl do it. Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I was going to buy a medium, because of the cost, but went with the large instead.  My point is don't be disappointed with the purchase.  I am glad I went with the bigger size.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    Interesting read. I am still learning how to use my two eggs.  I have Large for a while but added XL last July.  Generally like other say large gets used the most.  But not 9 out of 10 for me.  More like... every 6 to 7 uses of large, I go XL.  

Here my ways of cooking.

I make food for my large family (siblings, in laws) and then occasionally for friends.  Example -- I do 3 packers or 10 salmon filets or 9 butts.  2 turkeys at one time.  Most recently I did 14 ribs.  Using CGS.  We food saver and we're set for many weeks at a time.  Especially nice when it's winter time.

I also prep ahead a lot of times.  For example, some weekend, I'll do 10 to 14 chicken breasts (indirect) before cooking the main dinner.  Often plain.  Then we weight in a lb portion and food saver it with little spices added. We do 2 to 3 flank steaks cooked medium rare and slice em and food saver it as well. 

Sous vide is is a blessing.  We get our kids to start sous vide (water filled in the pot and temp are already preset).  Just plug it in and throw in the packet when they get home after their activities in the afternoon.

We do not do much cooking during the week with the grill.  Only time we grill during the week are things we insist grilling fresh.  Such as vegetables, and few meat like hamburgers or pork chops or fish.

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD