Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Life and ham

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
It's been a few days since I've been here. Life happens. I hope everyone is well. Anyway, I have an uncooked ham steak around 2" thick. Any advice? 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

Grill it?

That is what you guys do on this forum correct?

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Cube it up and submerge into a Pabst Blue Ribbon. ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You could cut it into thin strips and wear it...
    Image result for gaga meat dress
    ... but then, that's been done on here. =) Nothing personal, but Gaga looks better in meat.

BTW, do you know what the very first hit is if you do a google image search for guy wearing bacon? Go ahead, take a wild guess. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your new egg.  A few suggestions, spend some time learning how to adjust and maintain temp in your egg.  You'll hear lots of opinions about which briquettes are the best, what's the best cut of steak, etc.  I have found that as long as you're using a good quality lighter fluid and shutting down your egg and letting the steak dwell in those fumes, the type of steak or type of charcoal really doesn't matter.

Remember to post pics!
  • henapple
    Options
    Nothing has changed apparently. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Have you seen the new KJ's?

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Marinate on your Boos Butcher Block, Sous Vide for a while, then onto the Blackstone, finish with a quick rotate on the Egg and Joetisserie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Microwave :smirk:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Are you coming to BB this weekend?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good thing you stayed away. These guys are a buncha d!cks.

Marinate in soy sauce, ginger, mirin, chili paste. Take your pants off. Grill it. Chop it up. Serve over fried rice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Grill hot and fast.  Serve with green eggs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• henapple
    Options
    Well... This helped. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Throw it away and get yourself a ribeye. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Really missed you buddy 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    henapple said:
    Well... This helped. 
    You know this crowd... I love ham steaks. I just cook them at about 350 raised direct until I like the way it looks (it's probably precooked isn't it?). I started to suggest that earlier but I didn't want it to come across as a flippant. Given the way this thread is going - what the heck...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Pineapple head then glaze with half honey, half balsamic. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'd prolly marinate in PBR and cook over OO.  Raised direct of course 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    ... but then, that's been done on here. =) Nothing personal, but Gaga looks better in meat.

BTW, do you know what the very first hit is if you do a google image search for guy wearing bacon? Go ahead, take a wild guess. :rofl:
    Guy wearing bacon did not work for me but "guy covered in bacon" pulled it right up
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    It's 4-20.  Shred it, dry it thoroughly, and then smoke it.  
    Heh.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Bout time you rejoined us. Now if @hapster will make a comeback...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Surface, surface, surface.  Welcome back if only passing thru.  Plenty of winning suggestions above, just post pics.  
    BTW-cooked any MPD's of late??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    Pineapple head then glaze with half honey, half balsamic. 
    @Biggreenpharmacist I'm not sure why you're my go to lately! But! Do you reduce the balsamic first then measure it's half or straight from the bottle? This sounds amazing!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The best part of this whole troll is people are answering the question. Well played,Tony!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2017
    Options

Guy wearing bacon did not work for me but "guy covered in bacon" pulled it right up
    Don't know, man. I just tried it using three different browsers and bacon boy came up first every time. Each as disgusting as the last! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    The best part of this whole troll is people are answering the question. Well played,Tony!
    I didnt at first but thought I would throw something out there. 

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    We know where you've been Tony!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And now @cazzy shows up as well. Wondering minds need to wonder...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    cazzy said:
    We know where you've been Tony!

Treat it like you did the bacon.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga