Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo Half Ceramics? Anyone use these in lieu of the Conveggtor?

Options
So I went ahead and bit the bullet on a Woo since I'm going today to pick up Large #2. 

As some of you wept with me, you may remember a few weeks ago I broke my Conveggtor, so now I will be down to 1 Conveggtor and 2 Large Eggs.

I was thinking about getting two half stones and using them as the deflector so I have the option of doing a half direct / half indirect cook or a full indirect cook.

However, that little triangle that is designed to hold a stone other than the Conveggtor does not look stable to me for half stones. Anyone do this? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the 16" stone will fit across the legs.  It's not the most stable but as long as you don't move the PSWoo, it should be ok.  If you prefer, we offer a kite shape platform piece that creates a stable surface for holding a half stone and the oval stone.  

note the 3 half moon loops on the lower ring are now triangle shape.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Get a spider. It holds them great. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Not worth the trouble if you ask me. After my PS broke I bought the triangle piece and an oval stone. That oval stone is so much better than anything I've used that its ridiculous. I would recommend going that route. 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @tjv thanks.  @RRog17 I didn't think the PSWoo is as compatible with the Spider.

@Biggreenpharmacist since I will now have two of the exact same sized Eggs, I was trying to get a little diversity. But I do like the idea of that long stone though.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I do use my spider and stone with my PSWoo. But the stone I used to use on it broke so I just bought the long stone and triangle bracket. 

Little Rock, AR

• tjv
    Options
    it's the 15" half stone for the spider, if you go that route.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Dammit Tom, quit posting stuff like that. I need that like I need a hole in the head but I bet now I order that. 

Little Rock, AR

• tjv
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist

sorry,  I could put up the other half dozen things or so the spider does.........lol

t
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    tjv said:

I have this, works well.

buy, buy, buy!
  • Legume
    Options
    Hey Tom @tjv what is the best way to use a woo and AR together in an XL without a grid between them for the AR to rest on?  It's pretty unstable, is there a way without spanning the spider with a grid?
  • tjv
    Options
    @Legume

no real way to use xl woo and xl rig without the xl grid.  you can use the 16x20 oval grid on the lower notches of the rig and grill on it, not using the xl grid to cook.  
  • Legume
    Options
    Ack.  Ok, thanks.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    tjv said:
    @Biggreenpharmacist

sorry,  I could put up the other half dozen things or so the spider does.........lol

t
    I have a spider and have been using just the stone on it but I dropped it. Thats when I bought the platform and oval stone and LOVE that. I also have a weber sear grate I use on the spider all the time. I dont wok so dont care about that but that half stone got me interested. 

Little Rock, AR

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @tjv does the oval stone fit the XL woo?  I do like the extra surface area the conveggtor provides on large brisket cooks, but don't like how there's such a limited space between the conveggtor and the XL grid.  I feel like I still need to put fire bricks on the conveggtor, then the XL grid, then the AR to get enough circulation on the XL grid.  

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • tjv
    Options
    @GoooDawgs sounds like you want the xl rig with 17.5 stone set-up in the brisket video.  I'll put that set up against any other for a simple one grid, indirect cooks when it comes to lump access, airflow and grid position......nothing matches it.

we can cut any of our stones oval shape....just gotta ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0X9AEMbVA

t

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    tjv said:

Just had this set-up delivered yesterday.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @tjv, do you make just a grill extender for the xl BGE? 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    From the looks of it we need a Ceramic Grill Store Q and A thread. I had no idea yall had this many options. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    From the looks of it we need a Ceramic Grill Store Q and A thread. I had no idea yall had this many options. 
    Just give them a call for more information than you can imagine. Tom or the nice ladies are really on top of things but be prepared to let them know what you want to cook as they will ask. They will recommend some sort of combo that will work for anything you want to do on the Egg. The website shows a lot of ideas but a phone contact with them can be enlightening. They set me up with the right parts for my XL and didn't try to oversell. Buy once/cry once. Top notch knowledgeable folks.
    Right after my Thermapen, the AR/Woo2 combo is the best accessory for improving my cooks I have purchased. It has made cooks easier without a lot of "junque" in my BBQ storage box. No more dirty bricks, flimsy racks or other rigged up apparatus to do what their product does so elegantly.  I tell anyone buying an Egg to forgo the plate setter/Convegtor and spend that money towards their setup and save a lot of fooling around and wasted cash down the road.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa