Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First real post - long and picture heavy.

Options
First let me say how incredibly valuable this forum was when making all the decisions that go with buying a BGE.  I ended up getting an XL, because we have a lot of neighborhood gatherings where I live.  I wanted to be able to cook a lot of food if needed.  I may some day add a mini, but for now I'm just enjoying learning all about my BGE.  The first thing I did was build a table.  I am not very handy at all, but fortunately found some pretty detailed plans online.  Here is the table build.

Sort of ashamed to show this because I haven't finished the stain.  I ran out of time and wanted to get my egg before a big neighborhood party this past weekend.  Hopefully the weather will hold up and I can finish it this week.  The first night I had the egg (last Thursday) I did steaks.  I didn't remember to take pictures along the way, but I did get one with the steak on my plate.  Also had sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes.

On Saturday we had the big neighborhood party/easter egg hunt.  I did 9 racks of St. Louis style ribs.  Again, I did a terrible job remembering to take pictures.  Really wish I had gotten one with them all in the egg.  I did take one picture when I took them off to foil.  I thought they turned out really good, but I learned a lot in that first cook and will do better next time.

The last pic I have to share is from last night.  I did hotdogs because I wanted something easy to do with Malcolm Reed's smoked mac n cheese.  It was a big hit.  I had too much for my large CI, but the XL said throw another one on I don't mind ;)

Well, thats all I have to share for now.  Hopefully I will do a better job of taking pics with future cooks.  Thanks again for all the info on this site.  I'm really looking forward to sharing and learning.  Thanks for reading and looking!

Comments

• the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    Awesome, way to hit the ground running!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The XL is a beast, and you were working it like a pro. Outstanding presentation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

You are off to to a great start. Keep up the good work and post lots of pictures.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Great job! Welcome!

Little Rock, AR

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    H€ll of an introduction! Welcome! You aren't messing around 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice!  Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong start right there.
    An observation, I can't tell from the pic but if not done you should air-gap the BGE in addition to the paver.  There have been fires when the wood below the paver becomes scorched and fatigue fails usually with a load of burning lump.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Killer
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!!  Nice to have you around and good job with the first post.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • meggnificent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    An observation, I can't tell from the pic but if not done you should air-gap the BGE in addition to the paver.  There have been fires when the wood below the paver becomes scorched and fatigue fails usually with a load of burning lump.  
    Any suggestions on what to use?  I guess I misunderstood because I thought the BGE website said a paver was fine.  No idea how I will get anything under there.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome here, and strong first post. 

Phoenix 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome. Nicely done. Food looks great. Good job on table too.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    BGE sells a table nest.  Some use the old (replaced by the table nest) BGE green feet (your dealer may have). See pic above.  Others have used plant pottery spacers from hardware stores. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Any suggestions on what to use?  I guess I misunderstood because I thought the BGE website said a paver was fine.  No idea how I will get anything under there.
    Use a Table Nest
    http://biggreenegg.com/product/table-nest/
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • meggnificent
    Options
    Hotch said:
    lousubcap said:
    Use a Table Nest
    As per usual, trying to save money is gonna cost me more trouble later.  Haha.  So if I buy the table nest, should I ditch the pavers or no?  I hate to raise my setup too much higher.  I really like the height I'm at now.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Hotch said:
    lousubcap said:
    Use a Table Nest
    As per usual, trying to save money is gonna cost me more trouble later.  Haha.  So if I buy the table nest, should I ditch the pavers or no?  I hate to raise my setup too much higher.  I really like the height I'm at now.
    Yes you can. You will have enough air gap. Take a close look at the pic BGE has for the XL. It is sitting on a wooded shelf!

"Table Nest

The metal Table Nest, which provides air flow beneath the EGG, is now an optional component for all Big Green Egg tables. The Table Nest is also useful for custom tables and outdoor kitchens.

CAUTION: The metal Table Nest must be used in conjunction with a table, custom island or built-in surround. Not for use as a free-standing support for your EGG. Do not place EGG directly on wood or combustible surface!"

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    It appears the BGE instructions are somewhat confusing, as, in addition to the above, quoted by @Hotch, below the video are further instructions on how to use the nest: "THE EGG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN A METAL NEST OR WITH A METAL TABLE NEST, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP BELOW THE EGG – however you must exercise caution and not place an EGG directly over combustible material such as ground cover or an extremely dry wood surface even if using a Table Nest.

A concrete paver block or granite tile is often used to support the EGG when used in a table or built-in. If not used in conjunction with a Table Nest, it is recommended that these be stacked at least 3” thick for proper heat protection."

I do not have my Egg in a table, but personally, I would not use the nest without a paver below.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Hotch
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Opps! Yes BGE is all over the map on this. Probably Lawyer speak.
    But it would be a good idea to have the table nest at least sitting on large ceramic tile. The biggest issue, I think, is embers falling from the lower vent screen if left with any gap at all. You would like to have coverage with a non combustible surface just in case.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX